Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I'm in the acquisition please of my refit build and am fully over my head, that said I'm thinking of going in deeper and lighting it.

The best choice seems to be TrekModelers lighting kit from what I've seen. I wonder if any of you have used this or other options and what your experiences have been? How are the assembly directions? Do they suggest methods for achieving the spotlight effect? Can a sub-novice electronics newb build it?

Any constructive feedback would be very appreciated? The paint will be a MAJOR pain for me, but it'd be a shame not to light it if it's do-able!

Tib

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Tib!
I have the DIY kit along with the paint guide. It's a really nice kit and the instructions are very through. It's very step by step, it's doesn't look super complicated from my perspective just time consuming to build into the model which is how the DIY kit nstructions are done. Its very detailed right down to specific instructions on how to incorporate spotlights.

Everything is prepped and ready to be assembled. The wiring is actually simple point to point wiring. There is one small circuit board, but its preassembled, and you are essentially hooking up power, ground and signal to the boards wire pigtails. I think the best approach would be to build all the wire harnesses and test them before incorporating them into the model.

He gives you plenty of materials to build the light harnesses, but just in case have some extra wire (26AWG I think is what is used) in the appropriate colors and shrink tubing. I would practice soldering to get the hang of it before you start assembling the kit. The one thing that's not included in the kit is a piece of metal tubing and a stand to mount the model. The kit does come with the male/female connectors that assemble into the model and onto the tube. The kit provides switches that you'll be able to turn the lights on and off.

The real PITA will be painting. That will probably take the most time and effort. The one thing you don't want to face is a part of the lighting harness failing when it's in the model. That's why you should assemble and test before installation. :thumbsup::)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the review and opinions. I'll probably try to order one in the next few weeks along wit a stand or starter stand. Mine is the initial release and the stand looks very flimsy.

Wire and shrink tube, should a radio shack visit frow what I expect to find, so that helps!

Detailed light effect instructions are VERY important to me. I'll hit him up for those instructions when I'm closer to buying. I ordered all that paint earlier this week so a LONG way to go!

Thanks again!

Tin

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi!
Glad that Im able to offer some help. TrekModeler put a lot of time and effort into the instructions. I think they have the detail nesessary so that most people should not have a problem assembling the DIY lighting kit and installing it into the model. He tells you specifically how to make the spot light effects with enough pics and text that any modeler with a little bit of scratch building experience should be able to do it.

I didn't buy the stand. I can make my own plus the way it will turn out is the base of the stand will also serve as base for its own case so it will be large enough for the case to sit on.

Radio shack should have what you need. You can even order from amazon if you need too. They have 26AWG 25 ft wire spools in all the colors for 3.49 a spool. Also Frys would probably have what you need as well if you have one in your area.

When you buy the kit and paint guide (which I highly recommend). Go to Kinkos and have them printed out in color double sided. Either put them in a 3 ring binder or have them spiral bound so they can lay flat.
Whichever is eaiest/economical for you. You could get a binder that is able to be propped up by itself while you work. Before you begin building, thoroughly review the material to familiarize yourself with the build and paint process.

I haven't bought the paints, Dons Light & Magic part set, Aztec Dummy masks, or the photo etch fret. I have so many other models to build that it will be quite a while before I get to the refit kit, but it's fun getting all the supplies!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, given what you've accomplished I'm amazed that you haven't actually completed this yet. I did indeed buy the paint guide, I am not sure yet if it included all the paint recommendations or just for the aztecing (I will have to have it printed as you suggest. I like the idea of having it spiral bound for flexibility. I'll have to check into the cost. I assume that they can read it off a thumb drive. There have also been a couple of changes due to a couple of the paints being no longer available. PM me if you didn't get the update and I'll hook you up. I'm sure they'd be ok with that, it's only the changes, so like less than 10 pages. No I haven't bought the Don's Light and Magic stuff as I'm not 100% sure I'll need more than just the clear impulse deck. Why would the other parts be needed? For lighting? Or is it a 100% accuracy thing? I'm not good enough to have to worry too much about that. I don't even know how to hook up my airbrush, it's going to be a LONG build!

I'll probably have to buy the stand as the original one is supposed to be pretty useless (it's the initial issue of the kit.)

I also ordered the Aztec Dummy parts, the Acreation replacement decals and sensor bands (in case I can't manage to do them justice with paint), and am considering other stuff but not too seriously as yet. I would love to add sounds as well and have considered opening up my old Lights and Sound (unopened...sigh) AMT kit but the sounds were TOS and the quality was iffy. Besides, I think I'll have my hands full with the light. Also I have an email in to TM asking a few questions, about a week in the queue and hoping to hear back soon.

Thanks again for all the great information. I hope to see a progress thread on your build soon! I'm not sure I'm brave enough to document mine :)

Tib

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi!
I'm starting from scratch with my tool set, so it's going to take a little while before I start building a kit let alone the Refit :). I'm about 95% done getting the tools that I want/need. I'm a gadget person, so I just love all the little tools. I have a tendency to overbuy, but I just hate not having something in the middle of a build at 9pm and the hobby store is closed. Let's just say I have a full compliment of tamiya paints (all 95), three airbrushes, portable paint booth. I'll have to get another one (you can combine them) because the Refit and Anigrand ISD are big models.

I have a rather good assortment of tools now, plus the paints, Mig weathering washes, powders, and oils, and a ton of other stuff.

The DLM accruing kit is not a must, but a nice thing to have. If you buy directly from DLM you can buy only what you want. I think Cult only sells it as kit. DLM even has the directions on the website, so you can see what is involved to incorporate the DLM parts into the Refit. The DLM parts are for enhanced lighting and accuracy. Go to the DLM website and read the instructions and see for yourself. Once you get the lighting guide you'll see how the parts that can enhance the impulse engine lighting. You can then decide if you want to do all of it, one part of it, or not at all.

You can hand Kinkos the documents on a USB stick. I was the one that wrote TrekModeler about the errors (incorrect Model Master paint #'s, and the discontinued PollyS paint) in the paint guide, so I already have them. That's why you got the revised pages in an email. :)

I've had the Refit model for a very long time. It's been sitting on a shelf in my garage along with another 21 plastic and 2 resin kits in my stash. There is a Fine Molds Milennuim Falcon amongst the gaggle of kits. Plus 6 miniatures as well. I don't have anywhere near the number of kits that some users have in their stash.

I'm getting closer to starting my first kit which will be the Fujimi Spinner that will be lighted. I've been following Robiwons build and a Japense build blog as well. I'll start out with an initial work area thread to show my new toys then a spinner thread.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tiberious,
Can you send me the corrections too? I have the Painting guide (mailed to me on march 6th), I'd like to see if mine is updated or not.

I am in the planning and acquiring stage -- have the first issue kit, TM paint guide, ordered the Paragrafix PE set, TM lighting kit. Not sure if I will need anything else yet -- feel free to suggest things folks.

I want to add sound, but not sure how to incorporate/sync it with certain lighting functions. Also want to add the title theme music to run on a separate switch.
Also planning on creating a display with star field background.

I am becoming less intimidated as I plan, breaking things down into small tasks will be key.

Doug

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doug, pm me an email address and Ill send you the update when I get home

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so the next step, once TM replies is to order the lighting kit. Hopefully soon. I'd really have preferred the pre-built but think, based on the kind advice here, that I can muddle through it.

since we're all here, and someone OT, did any of you guys note any colors not listed in the guide that might be needed....looks like it's all there.

And back ON topic, I'd like a chance to look through the light kit assembly guide to confirm that I can indeed build it. This is something I asked of TM in my email but lacking a response, and since it's of no value if I didn't buy the kit, is there someone who would be willing to email it to me? If this is a no-no I apologize and retract the request.

Tib

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Tib!
All the colors appear to be in the paint guide now that he has revised it. if you haven't bought the kit yet then spring for the fully built one that you just have to install. You'll be in for a very long wait because he's actually stopped taking orders so he can catch up with the back log.

Don't know if you saw this thread or not. It's in line with what we've been talking about here. He has a TON of pictures in build sequence, so you can really follow along. You can see the he used the DLM and photo etch parts in his build. He throws in several sentences to clarify some of what he's done. I'm not crazy about his color choices or the way he did the spotlights, but never the less he did a fantastic job on his model. He uses TrekModelers fully assembled lighting kit.
http://www.therpf.com/f11/polar-lights-1-350-enterprise-new-build-170700/

Tib if you concerned about building the kit yourself because you don't have any soldering experience. Maybe you know someone that can assemble the kit for you that is an electronics geek/tech. It really is just point to point wiring with LEDs and resistors with some connectors thrown in. PM me when you get a chance.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sent you an email as I've been out doing honey dos all day...and until about 9pm tonight I'm Mr. mom, ugh! I don't know any electrically gifted people, I know an electrician but he disavows Ny knowledge of small electronics....I thought that odd!

I'll check out your link and see what's what as well. On a good note, I got all my paints in today, that was a chunk of change! Ive yet to hot DLMs site yet, so that's on my to do list too. I dread removing large pieces of plastic, but it might just be necessary!

Thanks!!

Tib

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, took a look on Don's page and can see the merit in the impulse exhaust, but what about the flux chillers? Is it about accuracy or lighting? As they're not clear and weren't directly lit, I'm not sure of the point. I don't feel that the kit parts were so bad as to be a huge issue but I'm game to hear otherwise! :)

I remember that thread on theRPF, that's a great guide, thanks for the reminder and the link. It'll be easier to find now that it's in this one. I'll re-read it tonight!

Thanks again,

Tib

·
Registered
127 Posts
Honestly Jim you're really not removing that much plastic on the Nacelles. If you choose to upgrade the Nacelles you'll only be removing the flux chillers on both sides and at the very front of the Nacelles. They are very small areas to modify. Take a look at DLMs site for the directions.

I probably won't pick up the paints until I'm close to starting. I already have a ton of Tamiya paints (the entire line although I'm waiting for the last portion to arrive), and a sizable portion of Alclad II that will be here tomorrow. The refit is on my todo list, but I have so many other kits that I want to build first. After the spinner build will probably be Robby, one of my favorite robots to build. I'm going to get the light and sound kit from Starling for Robby. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, took a look on Don's page and can see the merit in the impulse exhaust, but what about the flux chillers? Is it about accuracy or lighting? As they're not clear and weren't directly lit, I'm not sure of the point. I don't feel that the kit parts were so bad as to be a huge issue but I'm game to hear ! :)
It's really a subtle difference. That's why you can leave them as they are. I'm going to change them out. My take on it is why not! I've spent all this darn money on the kit and accessories, so I might as well go all the way. Not to mention the bunch of money I've spent setting up shop :)

Sent you an Email buddy! Read it! :thumbsup:

E

·
Registered
124 Posts
Glad this question has come up . I have this kit for 6 yrs and it been sitting in my closet. It scares me like the clown doll in Polterqueist. While were on the subject when this kit 1st came out there was a internal 3rd party frame for the model for the nacells pylons and body. Is this still avaliable and is it really needed ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's still available. You can buy it through Cults store. It's $95.00 plus shipping for this armature that is welded in one piece. You build the model around the armature. I recall very early on that you couldn't use the armature if you wanted to use a lighting kit because ther wasn't any room for the wiring and the armature in the Nacelle pylons. I don't know if that's still the case.

A lot of the refit kits have been built without the need for the armature. I haven't seen anyone complain about sagging Nacells here or on other boards. It's mostly been people afraid that it might sag. I'd rather spend the money on a lighting kit and accessories and take my time to build it correctly. Personally I don't think it's needed others may feel differently.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks Tedkitus for the info. I would rather do the lighting. But I'm not a electrician or even a Doctor Dam it And most of the lighting kits i see use boards and led and all other stuf fi have no clue about.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The DIY lighting kit isn't really that hard to assemble. Just a lot of soldering. It's all point to point wiring. The small board is already premade with wire pigtails. Wiring diagrams are provided that show you how assemble the harnesses. What's nice about he diagrams is he uses pictures of most of the parts and overlays the diagrams on top of the parts. It gives you a nice schematic representation of how the harnesses will lay in the parts. It's all color coded, so your chances of making a mistake are slim if you take your time.

You should probably build the harnesses within the parts for a general test fit and for function before the actual build. You don't have to be an electrician or an electrical engineer to assemble the wiring kit. He explains what you need to do in the instructions. You just need to practice soldering if you've never done it before.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just an FYI...
I ordered the DIY lighting kit from TrekModeler and it showed up in less than 10 days. They were quick with the paint guide I ordered earlier as well. Thumbs up TM!

Doug

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The lighting kit is in my cart and I'm debating on whether or not to get the stand or at least the pole. I'm concerned that it might not be compatible with the original issue kit (with the clear plastic stand based on the drydock.) Does anyone know? The entire stand is, I think, perhaps overpriced but the pole/attachment seems reasonable. Anyone bought these and have an opinion?

Thanks,

Tib

1 - 20 of 30 Posts