Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No offense to all the backyard bashers, but I wanted a thread for race topics only. Stock truck, Modified, Anyone with setup info , race hopups, race problems, part engineering , overall suggestions or comments. Please post here. See you at the track fighting off XXXT's and AE's

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bluelight- Good idea. I raced mine this weekend and it held up great, but my setup sucked. New track, no practice. Got any idea on rears for a wet clay track? My bowties were packed after about 30 feet.

I'm also running Losi shocks on mine, they're much easier to fill than the stock ones, and they offer so many more springs, pistons, etc. Right now I'm running a Core Stock motor w/ a Novak Fusion ESC and Deans's connectors all around, works great. I ran a 22 tooth pinion this weekend, which is a little over-geared, but I was trying to control slip. I think a 20 is probably right for a stock motor on a small (50' x 100') track.

What kind of batteries are you using? I'm thinking about going to 3000 mah Nimh batteries.

·
Registered
634 Posts
For that kind of surface you need big pins that won't hold dirt. Look around at what other people are running, but I'll betcha it's studs or step pins. If it's really sloppy you can try Reptiles. If it's wet all the time the harder compund will do better, if it's watered occasionally and dries out the softer compound might be a better compromise.

GP3300s are the only batteries anyone should buy for anything. Yes, I mean it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dan- Most of the guys were running square fuzzies or Ifmar pins, but they were having problems too. They were running the stock trucks 1st (no novice class) so it was really wet. I've had goos luck with the stock Duratrax pins on wet tracks, but they were hard pack with loose sand on top which is more typical of the tracks around here.

I'd love to have a set of GP 3300's, but last thing I heard they weren't ROAR legal. This track has hosted 3 ROAR nationals that I'm aware of (July 2002 was the latest) so they try to stay as close to legal as they can even for the club races.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm sure they'll be legal pretty soon, but OK. If it's an active track you might find some racer selling last season's packs. They'll still be better than stick packs.

Seriously, try red step pins when it's wet. They cut through the mud slick and find the hard track below. The IFMAR studs work better on soft tracks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have kept the stock shocks, but rebuilt them with 30wt. Much better. I am using SMC 2400's and fast1's 2400's for batteries. They have good punch and last the whole race 5-6 minutes. I charge them on a Novak Rhino @ 6amps. I agree with Dan for loose or sloppy tracks I use step pins hard pack "blue groove" tracks Holeshots or fuzzy T's Deans plugs everywhere speed control soldered right to motor. I run a Team Big Block stock motor. 18 tooth pinion seems about right for where I race. Rooster speed control since I had it laying around. I raced two weeks ago and fried the diff, idler, and rear trans mount. That is my second trans mount, maybe to much air time??? For $1.99 I will hold off on the aluminum one. The diff was my fault to loose. I will race on the 7th and let you guys know how it turns out. I race stock truck and modified with the same motor. Last week I was in the top 4 of all my qualifiers until I broke out. Bummer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Setup Sheets?

Anybody seen any setup sheets for the Evader? I have some for the Losi XXT that I've been using, but of course they don't match perfectly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boy, I thought we would have more traffic on this thread. Looks like only 3 people race. I will be racing Saturday. Wish me luck. I have not seen or made an Evader set up sheet. I use a modified Losi one.

M

·
0 Posts
bluelightracer...
Where in MI do you race? I just picked up an Evader and am looking for some track time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I race at Washtenaw fairgrounds in Saline. Once the new track in Brighton is open full time I will practice and race there also. Where are you located??

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bluelight- Good luck. I think we'll find some more racers. My time is limited because it revolves around my daughter's softball schedule (that's where I'll be all weekend), but I'll post as I race and figure things out.

M

·
0 Posts
I'm over on the east side... St. Clair Shores. The closest to me is probibly Larry's old indoor dirt track... it's called Berm Busters or something like that now. I was gonna check it out tomorrow, but nitro racing is on Saturdays:( Freedom Hill is really close... but that's been plowed into a parking lot:mad: I have heard some talk about reopening it, but no confirmations on this. I've never been much of a racer... I'm not into the competition. I run a touring car on Larry's carpet track, but never raced it. Too much fun working on the set-up and running the car than to worry about racing. I'd probibly do the same if I had a place to run the Evader, just have fun praticing with a few friends or my nephew who just bought an Evader. Until then... the backyard will get torn up:p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I thought I would pass along this weekends race report. I raced in stock truck and modified with a stock motor. Practice was not kind to me, head on with an Emaxx down the back straight (not good)Not my fault. Anyhow damage report front shock tower and bulkhead not to bad considering. Got parts and repaired the truck in time for qualifiers.
Stock truck qualifiers 2nd,2nd,4th Mod truck qualifiers 4th,1st,1st
After three qualifiers in each class I ended up in the B main for stock truck in 7th positionand finished 6th. In mod I qualified 4th in the B main and finished 5th. Most important I had a blast and thats what this hobby is all about. Hope to here some other racing updates on this thread.:)

·
Registered
262 Posts
No not dead, just waiting for a thaw like the Splendid Splinter. If I can work it out I'm going to try to race this Saturday.

·
0 Posts
bluelightracer said:
I thought I would pass along this weekends race report. I raced in stock truck and modified with a stock motor. Practice was not kind to me, head on with an Emaxx down the back straight (not good)Not my fault. Anyhow damage report front shock tower and bulkhead not to bad considering. Got parts and repaired the truck in time for qualifiers.
Stock truck qualifiers 2nd,2nd,4th Mod truck qualifiers 4th,1st,1st
After three qualifiers in each class I ended up in the B main for stock truck in 7th positionand finished 6th. In mod I qualified 4th in the B main and finished 5th. Most important I had a blast and thats what this hobby is all about. Hope to here some other racing updates on this thread.:)
What body do you use?And what color is it the stock Yellow?
I race @ Washtenaw as well....I plan on racing my Evader in Mod w/a mod...13T triple.I am getting tired of stock truck.I run a Dell motor too(stock) chrome can...Do you have the Jep-rc front brace yet??I ran my T3 last time.It is green with yellow and checker board ribbons on it and it was fast but just wasnt making me happy.Thats why it is time to bring out the evader,changae of pace...
Oh BTW my Evader will have a rtr T3 body on it with a yellow roof (I got the body that way) so you wont miss me.:wave:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I am running a stock yellow body. Take a look in the "lets see your rides" thread. I posted a couple of shots there. Have you had any trans/diff problems with running the mod motor?? I have a newer Black can motor, and I am very pleased with it's performance. No front brace yet. I am trying not to hit anything:) I will not be at the next points race on the 21st Christmas/family stuff to do:( i will be there on the 4th of Jan I'll look for you. Good luck racing with the underdog.

·
0 Posts
Dude I seen you!!I was watching when I was marshalling everytime you passed me lol.You sure did look good out there and im not kidding.I normally am in the B mains once in a while I get in the A mainly in stock buggy not truck.I tell ya I have broken 3 things in the last 2 days on my evader.chassis,front hub carrier,spindle.Yeah I need to quit jumping this thing in the house!:wave:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the compliment. Don't feel bad I have rebuilt my truck more times than I can count. I also have broken 2 chassis. I bought an early model so I had lots of breakage issues. My big problem is the differential. I must be on my 4th or 5th diff rebuild kit. I do all my stunt driving with my old nitro Stampede. Winter is tough on our hobby. I plan on checking out the new track in Brighton, just for practice maybe some racing.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Weekend Race Report

Didn't have a good run in the 1st heat, but was 5th in stock truck after the 1st round. Changed tires and pinion, and had moved up to 3rd in the 2nd heat when it happened. Over the double a little sideways, BLAM! Right front square into the pipe. Broken A-arm, broken steering bellcrank. CA'd the bellcrank, bought new XXT A-arms, problem solved, right? Wrong. They didn't have any outer hinge pins for the XXT, the Evader pins are slightly too big, and nobody had the right size bit! I was done. The lack of spare parts I think is the biggest problem with racing the Evader. There' s only one track here that stocks any parts for it. Of course, I should have had spares with me. On the plus side, this is the 1st breakage I've had. Too bad, because I was really getting the hang of the track and the truck was hooking up great.

Man, what's with the diff? I've heard other people complain, but I have had zero breakage problems with mine. Bluelight, how are you adjusting it? I just gave up on Duratrax's instructions and found a better way. Right now I'm running a Core Stock motor and 21T pinion, so I'm putting plenty of torque on it. BTW, this was my first time out with the new slipper assembly, and it rocks.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts