Hobbyist Forums banner

2281 - 2300 of 2304 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
okay for all you veteran battery builders! when you use battery bars "how do you attach them"? i have tinned the cells and the bars, but it didn't work to well. thought about just tinning the cells and heating the whole battery bar at once to get to seat to both cells at once?! is that the way to go?

i have the deans jig, deans solder and a 40 watt soldering iron,

thanks for the help/tips

peter

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
i usually scratch up the cell on both ends so the solder sticks.. then put on a little solder and also tin the bar... the key is A VERY HOT IRON.. if the iron is not hot enough it will cold weld and not properly heat the solder and will come apart..

u also need to use enough solder to hold it on... it should not be just tinned.. the solder should flow over the bar , but not to much...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,283
burbs said:
i usually scratch up the cell on both ends so the solder sticks.. then put on a little solder and also tin the bar... the key is A VERY HOT IRON.. if the iron is not hot enough it will cold weld and not properly heat the solder and will come apart..

u also need to use enough solder to hold it on... it should not be just tinned.. the solder should flow over the bar , but not to much...
Yep, What he said ... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your soldering iron may be a little on the cool side and contributing to the problem your having. The iron should be probably a 60w unit instead and if possible a flat tip to heat a broader area more rapidly. With the smaller iron the battery may be acting like a heat sink and you are heating up the battery itself more than soldering. just my 2 cents...Good luck!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
update on the xxt losi braces that would replace using jeps

Someone posted a site that had possible replacements for jeps/rc braces (front and rear) that were made for the evader. The replacement parts were made for the xxt and the idea is since they are very similar then they should work.

I ordered mine and I'm attaching a photo of the front and rear aluminum braces with the body that i'm building up. I have never owned or seen the jep/rc braces so I don't know what they look like or if these parts are even like them. It's apparent that the front brace is similar to the duratrax aluminum front brace but the rear is something else. My guess is the xxt rear is different enough to have this type of brace that will not work with the evader. I checked out the xxt diagrams and couldn't find where the rear piece would fit much less on the evader. If anyone knows... then let me know. Otherwise I'm thinking that brace set from racers-edge.com is not a viable solution to the evader.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
servo problem

I must be a fortunate one. I have yet to break anything but a servo arm on my evader. I have however stripped the gears in three servos so far. I have the servo saver as loose as I can get it but it doesnt help.
Any suggestions?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,288
If you are refering to the front rear brace it attaches to the rear of the pins behind the bulkhead like the front brace attaches to the front.

If you are refering to the rear brace it fits on the front of the pins between the tranny and the chassis where the shocktower mounts.
http://www.geocities.com/jep_rc/photos102.html

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,289
Twisted said:
I must be a fortunate one. I have yet to break anything but a servo arm on my evader. I have however stripped the gears in three servos so far. I have the servo saver as loose as I can get it but it doesnt help.
Any suggestions?
Follow the instructions on this page about the servo saver modification. Has worked wonders for my kids.

http://www.usd.edu/~cgutzman/evader/

·
Registered
66 Posts
PapaST said:
Someone posted a site that had possible replacements for jeps/rc braces (front and rear) that were made for the evader. The replacement parts were made for the xxt and the idea is since they are very similar then they should work.

I ordered mine and I'm attaching a photo of the front and rear aluminum braces with the body that i'm building up. I have never owned or seen the jep/rc braces so I don't know what they look like or if these parts are even like them. It's apparent that the front brace is similar to the duratrax aluminum front brace but the rear is something else. My guess is the xxt rear is different enough to have this type of brace that will not work with the evader. I checked out the xxt diagrams and couldn't find where the rear piece would fit much less on the evader. If anyone knows... then let me know. Otherwise I'm thinking that brace set from racers-edge.com is not a viable solution to the evader.

Unfortunately the rear brace in your photo lying at the back of the evader is nothing like the jep RC brace. The Jep brace system involves a much thinner front bulkhead brace than original equipment, allowing for a second thin aluminum brace to hold the bulkhead/A arm pins together at the back of the bulkhead. It is of the same width as the front brace with hole spacing the same. Yet is quite differant with a drop and bend to go around the bottom of the bulkhead/chassis hinge pin area. Front end breakage stopped completely as soon as I installed these brace sets. As I have said before, it is the only thing that kept me from getting rid of my 3 evaders some time ago. ahhh... here is a link to it.
http://www.geocities.com/jep_rc/photos101.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the info Phil... it's pretty apparent the braces won't work for me.

Another question, I just got an aluminum horn for my servo. I believe it was the standard single arm type. The holes are too small for the ball joint to screw in. Is the idea just to drill out the hole to fit? Or is there a specific tool to use?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Aluminum Servo horn.

PapaST said:
Thanks for the info Phil... it's pretty apparent the braces won't work for me.

Another question, I just got an aluminum horn for my servo. I believe it was the standard single arm type. The holes are too small for the ball joint to screw in. Is the idea just to drill out the hole to fit? Or is there a specific tool to use?
Where did you find the aluminum horn? I would love to get my hands on some. I have had alot of trouble with the cheesy plastic servo horns from duratrax. I can't keep the splines on them.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,298
PapaST said:
Mastec... unfortunately no, they are different than the pictures you posted.
Mine just came today, I see what you are refering to. I dont know what that small piece is for. But I am gonna pull out my dremel tool and modify the bigger one to fit on the back of the front bulkhead. I already have the front brace so this will make a tad bit stronger.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,300
I was able to make a front rear brace. It works great, I tested it by gritting my teeth and hitting something solid. So far so good.... But I would not recommend doing it on purpose. I made it from .025 flat aluminum, which is too thick to use on the electric unless longer pins are used. It takes me alnost an hour each to make them. I am going to go to thinner aluminum once I get it the way I want it. Then I am going to try and find a fabricator here locally to see if they can produce them in bulk at a reasonable price.

2281 - 2300 of 2304 Posts