Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know, my collection is primarily Hot Wheels, but I picked up these at an estate sale Saturday. I don't know much at all about Matchbox, TootsieToy, et al, so I'm thinking I probably overpaid at $1 each (did get the case thrown in free, though). But they look cool and I'll be putting them beside my HW blackwalls collection.

I assume they are most all common issue, though the paint on the two Matchbox Racing Minis is different. One seems to be enamel while the other is similar to Mattel's Spectraflame?

These are the TootsieToys:

London Toy?

Midge Toy

Dinky

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Who makes the imperial Esso truck? Your Tootsies are nice, the Jag is from the 50s/60s the rest are 70s/80s. The 40s Ford or Willys (Not sure which one it is supposed to be, is not one you see that much, but it has been repainted. You did well on your purchases

G

·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who makes the imperial Esso truck? Your Tootsies are nice, the Jag is from the 50s/60s the rest are 70s/80s. The 40s Ford or Willys (Not sure which one it is supposed to be, is not one you see that much, but it has been repainted. You did well on your purchases

G
It has "London Toy Made in Canada" on the underside. I've never heard of it :confused:

Thanks for the info!

·
2,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think a few of those Matchboxes are 60's, no?
Yeah, from what I've seen at a Matchbox collector site, the Ferret Scout Car, Caterpillar D8, and Cattle Truck are all '60s models. The Caterpiller is actually one of the few in really good condition, except for the missing tracks of course :thumbsup:

·
Registered
674 Posts
That Midgetoy Fire Engine looks similar to some my father has left from his childhood, 1940's. That alone is worth the price of admission...so you did very well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, from what I've seen at a Matchbox collector site, the Ferret Scout Car, Caterpillar D8, and Cattle Truck are all '60s models. The Caterpiller is actually one of the few in really good condition, except for the missing tracks of course :thumbsup:
Ferret Scout Car was released in 1959. Cattle Truck, Bulldozer and tanker are from the 60's and all others from the 70's and 80's.

·
Registered
183 Posts
London Toy was a manufacturer located in London Ontario Canada. They had a small 4" range where the wheel wells are covered and a larger version of the same vehicles with open wheel wells. Depending on what year they were madew you can find them with metal, rubber or fiber wheels. The fiber wheels would have been used when metal and rubber was need for the war effort. Some of the larger sized models came with a clock work drive .

Different wheel materials. Fiber on top, rubber, metal

6' Canada Dry beverage truck

7 up beverage truck

Beverage truck clock work mechanism

4 " London Toy bus

6" Police car

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
London Toy was a manufacturer located in London Ontario Canada. They had a small 4" range where the wheel wells are covered and a larger version of the same vehicles with open wheel wells. Depending on what year they were madew you can find them with metal, rubber or fiber wheels. The fiber wheels would have been used when metal and rubber was need for the war effort. Some of the larger sized models came with a clock work drive .
Thanks for posting these. I've never seen them before. I love one piece bodies such as these that are simple yet sophisticated and realistic in their designs. The long bed pick-up is my favorite, but they are all excellent.

These appear to be well made, and they are certainly quite desirable. Great photos!

How long was London Toy in business?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Love the big picture of the car on the carrying case. Sort of gives perspective of what a bug might see right before being splattered on the windshield.:tongue:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts