Hobbyist Forums banner

Esc Limits Extended To Full Season

5K views 32 replies 29 participants last post by  Kevin Cole 
#1 ·
After considerable thought and deliberation we have decided to extend the limitations on the use of new ESC technology for the remainder of the BRL 2009 -2010 season. This means that the Black Diamond ESC from Advanced Electronics / CRC; the Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro; and software updates for the Tekin RS and RS Pro higher than level 200 will not be permitted at BRL events this season, including the Novak Nationals at Trackside in March. This limitation on ESC technology will also mean that new ESC's comparable to those mentioned which are expected to be introduced in the coming months , including the Novak Kinetic ESC and higher numbered software editions from Tekin, will not be permitted in the BRL until next season. More complete details and language for the rule book will be available later this week.

This is not a decision we take lightly. There are no bad guys in this whole ESC scenario. The manufacturers involved have simply done what manufacturers do. They've produced the best products they could and there were no rules to prevent it. In the case of the Castle MMP, I think the introduction of so much technology at such a low price point will be great for our hobby / sport in the long term. As will the inevitable competition with other manufacturers that results.

But in the short term, new technology which causes speeds in every class to jump by laps is a bad thing in the middle of a 6 month long points season such as we have in the BRL. For major stand alone events like the Snowbirds, it is a simple matter for a racer to decide which class he will be comfortable running taking into account the performance gain from the new ESC's. In our case, we have guys who have selected a class based on the speeds at the start of the season and run up to 3 events in that class and at that speed. If we permitted the new ESC's many in our 13.5 class might find themselves without a points class where they were comfortable while those in the higher classes might find themselves needing to abandon their points in order to move down to the speed they originally intended. It simply isn't fair in our opinion to introduce such a major disruption after the start of the points season.

Our rules exist to maintain a relatively stable and consistent racing experience over a 6 month long series. This is a case where leaving the rule alone (no ESC limitation) would have the opposite effect. So a rule change is the only way to achieve the intent of having any rules in the first place.

Some will ask why we are not adopting the recently proposed TOUR solution of asking all racers to use the "zero timing" setting on their ESC's. We have considered that approach but feel in our case, where the limitation would be applied to all of our classes at all remaining races, the resulting tech inspection needed to assure competitors that everyone was complying would be impractical.

Based on the feedback we've received from those who compete regularly in the BRL we expect this decision will be well received with our core racers. We are thankful for their support. Without racers, the BRL obviously would not exist. We also expect disagreement from the many from other parts of the country who have never understood the benefits of the BRL's approach to limiting technology.

Finally I want to thank our sponsors, especially Tekin and Novak, for their support and advice. I'm sure they'd prefer that their latest technology be allowed but both understand the situation we face with our season long points championship and have expressed their support for our decision.

See less See more
#11 ·
Chuck, Your anouncement on Sunday at the race in Omaha should have been taped and posted. All I heard was cheers from the racers. And as we talked, I left my recently purchased MMP in the box (well it came out for a lot of people to look at) and not in the 21.5 / 2s car as I had planned, and I felt really good about that.

Mark

#12 ·
it is nice having a good and fair rule package we know what we can run and what we cant ,and not having the frustration of people showing up with equipment that only a select few can get (you dont ever see a week long debate after a brl race about what coulda ,shoulda,woulda, been done)thats what makes the brl the best series to follow
good call guys
chad humble

#15 ·
I probably need not bother telling you how grateful I am for your decision making process Chuck. Your decisions and your explanations always enforce my own beliefs that you are first and foremost interested in your racers. Thank you for continuing on with the same competitive, balanced vision that Sonny had always strived for.
Can't wait for the next event!
dk

#16 ·
I applaud the manner this issue has been handled by Chuck and this series...it's nice to see decisive decision making on a topic that could bring pan car racing to its knees.

Kudos Chuck...pencil Indy in for your National Championship next season:thumbsup:

#17 ·
After considerable thought and deliberation we have decided to extend the limitations on the use of new ESC technology for the remainder of the BRL 2009 -2010 season. This means that the Black Diamond ESC from Advanced Electronics / CRC; the Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro; and software updates for the Tekin RS and RS Pro higher than level 200 will not be permitted at BRL events this season, including the Novak Nationals at Trackside in March. This limitation on ESC technology will also mean that new ESC's comparable to those mentioned which are expected to be introduced in the coming months , including the Novak Kinetic ESC and higher numbered software editions from Tekin, will not be permitted in the BRL until next season. More complete details and language for the rule book will be available later this week.

This is not a decision we take lightly. There are no bad guys in this whole ESC scenario. The manufacturers involved have simply done what manufacturers do. They've produced the best products they could and there were no rules to prevent it. In the case of the Castle MMP, I think the introduction of so much technology at such a low price point will be great for our hobby / sport in the long term. As will the inevitable competition with other manufacturers that results.

But in the short term, new technology which causes speeds in every class to jump by laps is a bad thing in the middle of a 6 month long points season such as we have in the BRL. For major stand alone events like the Snowbirds, it is a simple matter for a racer to decide which class he will be comfortable running taking into account the performance gain from the new ESC's. In our case, we have guys who have selected a class based on the speeds at the start of the season and run up to 3 events in that class and at that speed. If we permitted the new ESC's many in our 13.5 class might find themselves without a points class where they were comfortable while those in the higher classes might find themselves needing to abandon their points in order to move down to the speed they originally intended. It simply isn't fair in our opinion to introduce such a major disruption after the start of the points season.

Our rules exist to maintain a relatively stable and consistent racing experience over a 6 month long series. This is a case where leaving the rule alone (no ESC limitation) would have the opposite effect. So a rule change is the only way to achieve the intent of having any rules in the first place.

Some will ask why we are not adopting the recently proposed TOUR solution of asking all racers to use the "zero timing" setting on their ESC's. We have considered that approach but feel in our case, where the limitation would be applied to all of our classes at all remaining races, the resulting tech inspection needed to assure competitors that everyone was complying would be impractical.

Based on the feedback we've received from those who compete regularly in the BRL we expect this decision will be well received with our core racers. We are thankful for their support. Without racers, the BRL obviously would not exist. We also expect disagreement from the many from other parts of the country who have never understood the benefits of the BRL's approach to limiting technology.

Finally I want to thank our sponsors, especially Tekin and Novak, for their support and advice. I'm sure they'd prefer that their latest technology be allowed but both understand the situation we face with our season long points championship and have expressed their support for our decision.
Well done!

-E

#19 ·
Thanks to the BRL, you guys have continued what the Series was started for and what made it grow.

I am proud to say I race with the BRL, the applause after the announcement should say that you have made the correct decision.

Thanks again.

AJ:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.