Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting really close to having to make up my mind on buying ESCs for my pancars. Castle, Tekin or wait for the new Novak Kinetic. All programmable thru a PC. Whats your verdict?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta get the cars finished first Joel before I look for a place to race. I thought the Castle was available also.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
Tekin is the only one that is available. When are you going to start racing?
Hey Joel Ive got the new single cell esc. This thing is fast. I was running 12.56's but now I running 10.41's.

The name of the new company is GeeHawWhimmyGig, The case is too big though, I think it is a name thing.

Come and see me I will let you try it out.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
LOL Allan! Be sure to save me a few of those...

Greg-
Castle is now working on a new one, so buying the current one may be a waste unless you are currently racing. Tekin is still saying they can keep up with software, so that is what I am waiting on myself.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
castle if you can find the pro for sale...they were all bought up
the special edition castle via there web site will not be out until january

all other esc's are nothing but rumors and specualation as to how they will run with a mamba...the AE unit will run with a mamba but is on preorder status and 350.00

mamba if you cand find one...

all of these esc's should be legal if you do not use cheat mode...but check with your track

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I'd challenge the TOUR, BRL and Snowbirds to consider a ban on the latest generation of speed controls until the end of May 2010. This would be for all oval classes. Let's run the indoor season out with what everybody already owns and between now and then decide what actually makes the most sense to allow in the future. I think that the all of the applicable sanctioning bodies for oval need to also consider adding speedo's to motors and betteries as a piece of equipment that has an approved "rules package" for a year/season at a time. This new speedo issue is not going away in the future, that I can assure you. All we're doing is spending money and running away racers for no good reason. Just because a manufacturer comes out with a new speedo/battery/motor doesn't mean that we all need to run out and drop the cash to have them.

I race because I enjoy the competition and hanging out with the friends that I've made over the years. May of 2010 will mark 20 years that I've been competitively racing 1/10 oval cars. In my opinion, the electronics innovations and the costs associated with them are getting out of control. Think about it, all we really do when the latest speedo/motor/battery generation comes out is to drive away a racer or two at each track in the country. We have enough problems with getting racers to come to races given this economy let alone driving them away with spiraling costs.

I can tell you that he SK KAR rules will most likely be adpoting something very similar to what I've described above for the remainder of their "rules season"

So, TOUR, BRL & Snowbirds, What's it going to be??

Eric Dimmick
Owner
Darkside Motorsports
KSKT Racing Products

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
all of these esc's should be legal if you do not use cheat mode...but check with your track
Actually, no they shouldn't. Period. end of conversation. The last thing you should need to do is to "check with your track" to see if what you currently own is legal to run. Explain to me how the need to do that is a good idea

-E

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I'd challenge the TOUR, BRL and Snowbirds to consider a ban on the latest generation of speed controls until the end of May 2010. This would be for all oval classes. Let's run the indoor season out with what everybody already owns and between now and then decide what actually makes the most sense to allow in the future. I think that the all of the applicable sanctioning bodies for oval need to also consider adding speedo's to motors and betteries as a piece of equipment that has an approved "rules package" for a year/season at a time. This new speedo issue is not going away in the future, that I can assure you. All we're doing is spending money and running away racers for no good reason. Just because a manufacturer comes out with a new speedo/battery/motor doesn't mean that we all need to run out and drop the cash to have them.

I race because I enjoy the competition and hanging out with the friends that I've made over the years. May of 2010 will mark 20 years that I've been competitively racing 1/10 oval cars. In my opinion, the electronics innovations and the costs associated with them are getting out of control. Think about it, all we really do when the latest speedo/motor/battery generation comes out is to drive away a racer or two at each track in the country. We have enough problems with getting racers to come to races given this economy let alone driving them away with spiraling costs.

I can tell you that he SK KAR rules will most likely be adpoting something very similar to what I've described above for the remainder of their "rules season"

Eric Dimmick
Owner
Darkside Motorsports
KSKT Racing Products
Great post!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
eric show me how to put smoke back in a bottle.....might as well get over it and move on....3 months since the 1 cell esc has hit the track..they didn't stop it in time.

honestly if the 375.00 AE unit does not keep up with a mamba someone has egg on there face.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

Eric Dimmick
Owner
Darkside Motorsports
KSKT Racing Products[/quote

Are you dreaming???? Someone with a set big enough to tell a manufacture NO NOT NOW. In stead of being politically correct.

Eric you are the man.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Actually, no they shouldn't. Period. end of conversation. The last thing you should need to do is to "check with your track" to see if what you currently own is legal to run. Explain to me how the need to do that is a good idea

-E
Eric, go read the TOUR thread .......... they have or are discussing a policy that the speedo's run very close if they are all on profile 1 or 0 degrees of dynamic timing.

Theres a bunch of guys out there WITH the mamba, the thing was allowed and is allowed, you cant turn the guys away from racing that have one or tell guys to go buy ANOTHER speedo because you want to ban the mamba ...... thats as fair to them as you feel allowing the mamba was in the first place.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
.... The last thing you should need to do is to "check with your track" to see if what you currently own is legal to run. Explain to me how the need to do that is a good idea

-E
Because the track owners are not all abiding by the same set of rules. some of them are tweaking them so as not to upset the locals. And then the BRL has banned some esc's.

So without asking how would one know if that track was allowing the ESC he owns or not?

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
his point is if it was banned we wouldn't even have to ask..

i think since we all went brushless esc's have been banned from brl and other tracks in the past as long as 2 or 3 years ago...asking what speedo is allowed is not a new thing though...

you all realize that big ernie P from trinity predicted all of this mess on the back cover of every r/c magazine right? this time next year we will need a lap top or net book to tune our electronics to the track...soon spur and pinnion will mean less and less we can just tune the roll out via the lap top. star trek for toy cars

·
Registered
572 Posts
I Know How To Cut And Paste Too!!!!!!!

Dimmick...you moron....did you even read my post?? (I mean this with all of the love and respect one fellow racer can have for another.) [don't get nervous everyone....we know each other!! LOL]

I could answer every point you make in every sentence you wrote, but I'd just be copying my first 2 posts on this thread word for word.

But let me try:
  • "I'd challenge the TOUR, BRL and Snowbirds to consider a ban on the latest generation of speed controls until the end of May 2010." No thanks, doesn't work!! Several reasons not to do this..... see my first 2 posts on MY thread
  • Let's run the indoor season out with what everybody already owns and between now and then decide what actually makes the most sense to allow in the future. Everyone has something different everywhere, old, new, future, and it changes everyday. There is a good fix for this..... see my first 2 posts on MY thread
  • I think that the all of the applicable sanctioning bodies for oval need to also consider adding speedo's to motors and betteries as a piece of equipment that has an approved "rules package" for a year/season at a time. All of the applicable sanctioning bodies.....really. Could you list those for me?? TOUR is the only group doing any large scale coordination for oval......and we are not a sanctioning body. Unless we became one. and added an equipment verification team!! Let me check my Inbox...............ooooppps, musta missed something........no applications today. Let me know when any of these other applicable sanctioning bodies for oval come up with an approved speedo spec. I'll wait to hear from you.
  • All we're doing is spending money and running away racers for no good reason. Yeah.......banning different speedos at each different track will do that. Hey, I have an idea.......see my first 2 posts on MY thread
  • I can tell you that he SK KAR rules will most likely be adpoting something very similar to what I've described above for the remainder of their "rules season" Cool.......ya want to PM me that rule in its entirety so I can pick in apart piece by piece for you privately, or would you like to start a new thread where I can tear it apart publicly.
  • So, TOUR, BRL & Snowbirds, What's it going to be?? I'll only answer on behalf of myself PLEASE SEE POST #20 ON THIS THREAD. Start with the part where it say, "Before I exit this thread, I would like you all to know something. The handling of this “crisis”, good or bad, marks the end of my day-to-day involvement with the TOUR........"
After reviewing every option availble for over 2 months, the solution I presented is my best effort and it stands as the only reccomendation offered by the TOUR. So use it where you see fit. Ignore it and run an open ESC rule. Or you can come on here and stir everything up so that everyone can come up with their own ideas and we'll all go in different directions. I really don't care. I've done my part.

But if you're interested in a pretty good solution..... see my first 2 posts on MY thread

Take care pal and give my best to Mario, Art, and Grenade!!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Now that we've done that Eric.....would you mind telling me why you are lobbying so hard against me all over HT. If I knew you had all the answers I wouldn't have wasted all my time this weekend coming up with an ESC rule that everyone "demanded" the TOUR come up with. I would have just made you the TOUR tech director and let you handle it.

I don't care what we do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY, I don't!!

It's just that we wanted everyone on the same page following the same guidelines!!!!!!!

I was asked to take on that responsibility!!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe me, I would love to hand this job off to someone else who has the balls to get it done, who will put up with the BS for 6-10 months at a time, who has earned the respect of teh R/C Industry enough to lead it.

If you are that guy..............great!! Welcome aboard. Take the wheel!! And let me get the hell outta here.

Otherwise............stop lurking in the background until I waste my family's weekend coming up with a guidline and then jumping up to steer everyone off in a different direction.

I'm SERIOUS...............if you want to lead this group.........STEP UP!! That's my "challenge" to you. Otherwise, stop being a pretender. We have enough "just my 2 cents" guys on HT.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts