Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have not raced off road in more than 15 years and i am looking to start again . Currently i am looking at the Associated sc10 4x4 , sc10 and b4 there is a small indoor track and a good size outdoor track near me . I have a tekin rs speed control that only has 2 dirt oval races on it and can i safely use this esc with a 540 based mod motor in a sc10 4x4 or am i going to kill it . The rx8 is out of my budget right now . Need some advise .
Thanks
Jeff Page

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I'm not sure if the RS will work in the SC10 4x4, I know it's lighter then the SCTE so it might in the lighter rig with a 540, but depending on what 540 you have that it might get too hot runnig in the 4x4. If your running the 540 4pole motors that are out you'll be fine, but if its the 540 2poles they tend to get hot.

Alot have been going with the Hobbywing SCTPro 120A ESC lately. It's cost anywhere from $90-$110 for it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
You can also pick up a hobby king 100 amp esc for under $40 or the turnigy for $58 bucks. Shipping takes a while to get here. dont go under 100amp !!I tryed a 60 in my sons slash4x4 and it burst into flames!!. The best one they got is the Turnigy TrackStar 120A Brushless Short Course Truck ESC. Awesome unit.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hello all
I have not raced off road in more than 15 years and i am looking to start again . Currently i am looking at the Associated sc10 4x4 , sc10 and b4 there is a small indoor track and a good size outdoor track near me . I have a tekin rs speed control that only has 2 dirt oval races on it and can i safely use this esc with a 540 based mod motor in a sc10 4x4 or am i going to kill it . The rx8 is out of my budget right now . Need some advise .
Thanks
Jeff Page
You will kill the RS with a 550 or a 540 4 pole motor. It may not happen immediately but it will die in short order. In fact an RS is not recommended for any 4wd drive train. It's not so much the motor type as it is the amp draw through the motor. A 4wd vehicle is just too demanding for the RS. The RS is really meant for a 2wd chassis. A few months back the RX8 was out of stock everywhere and I had a spare RS Pro laying around. I called Tekin and asked if my RS Pro would run a 550 can and they said they don't recommend it, so there is no way an RS will handle them. The RX8 is only about $25 more than an RS. Stormer Hobbies seems to have the best prices on Tekin electronics out of all the online retailers; I'd check them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts