Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum, trying to find info on this possible prototype. Have collected the original Ertl Blade Runner cars for a long time. All retail items were made back in 1982, bases molded with Ertl TM/Made In USA and Blade Runner Partnership TM in separate area. On the one I have, the base is molded with the same Ertl TM but Made In China instead of Made In Usa and the Blade Runner Partnership area is blank or covered (with plastic, not tape). Will try and upload pic but won't be good quality, the info itself is enough to figure out a few things. Mainly, since I'd imagine Ertl started using plants in China long after the 1982 retail release, when and why was this made in China for Ertl? I have called and e-mailed Ertl but no response or info came back. I am hoping someone in this forum knowledgeble in the Blade Runner cars or who knows someone at Ertl might be able to help with any known info. I have plenty of conjecture and if not for the base being made well after the original release in China, would have figured it to be a custom. Unlike the original retail release, it does not say "Blade Runner" but just well detailed tempos/paint/decals. That is how the plastic spinner which was included in the special Final Cut DVD set was done, no movie logos, just paint/graphics based on the film spinners. If Ertl did make this for some reason, they may not acknowledge it since never meant to leave the company. It was shipped from Dyerville and although the seller didn't want to discuss it, did indicate he worked at Ertl at some time and got the car from someone else there. If not for the base being different, I'd assume it was a custom, possibly by an Ertl employee. But the Made In China base has to be traceable, if nothing else, when Ertl started using plants in China. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I noticed that Johnny Lightning just rereleased the Blade Runner Alfa Romeo as the Galactic Cruiser. They still contain all Ertl info with the addition of made in china. No mention of Blade Runner anywhere.

The tampos on your spinner are very accurate, and the wheels modern. I'm hoping this means Johnny Lightning continues with the other two. The DVD spinners are much larger than 1/64. I'm guessing/hoping yours is the new Johnny Lightning version, though I have not been able to find any info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. "Made in China" The original versions are made in USA. Though with screws where you expect rivets is probably a good sign it's a working prototype.

Besides looking way sharper in an accurate dirty red paint scheme it's a real treat to be able to pick up the Alfa Romeo up for less than $3. The vintage cars can go for $25 loose.

The next wave of JL cars lists a "Modified Coupe." Could be anything but I'm hoping Spinner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts