Hobbyist Forums banner

Enterprise dio question

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Dr. Mike 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to do a diorama of the Enterprise in the studio. I am thinking of doing it in 1/35 or 1/24 scale, and wondered what kit would be the closest?

If there is nothing that would work in those scales, what would Polar Lights enterprise scale out to for some thing like this..1/15 scale?

Here is a photo to give an idea what I want to try.

#7 · (Edited)
I've been working on three 1/12 scale studio dios for the past nine years. They are in various states of progress (I'm in no hurry), with all-scratchbuilt 1/12 studio cameras, lights, stands, heads and tracks.

All three utilize the PL 1/1000 kit. All three are built to reflect the two pilots and production version, with the low-detailed port sides, and visible wiring on the 2nd pilot and production versions. Re-detailed 1/12 scale figures give scale to the scenes.

Here are a few pics from early on:

#16 · (Edited)
After looking at the 1/2500 and 1/1600 scale kits I've decided I'll make a go of my polar Light model.
It's not to small (or big),and has far better detail.
I found 1/12 scale figures that I can mod, but I don't think I can make them without shirts like some of the photos show!
Tamiya makes some Pit-stop crew members that should work nicely.
Here is photo from a tamiya box top.

I don't know if I'll try the Mitchell studio camera and dolly, but I should have no probs with the worall head mount (see photo) used to support the filming model.

I found some great sites for information and photos.
http://www.therpf.com/f10/filming-original-enterprise-101952/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/birdofthegalaxy/

Its becuase of the first site that I got to thinking about a diorama. The dio from Modelers Resource Magazine looks pretty cool, but lacks some detail that I want to try on mine.

I've got about two hundred resin parts I need to cast for a customer, but after that I think I'll start on this scratch building and casting the necessary pieces.

After I pull down my Polar Lights kit from the closet, I can not find the instructions.
Does Polar Lights have any kinda service to get copies of it?

Thank you for the feedback guys. This should be fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.