Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..so..unless the 'real' ship was built to constantly pull to the right when running on impulse engines, I presume this is a major ERTL FUBAR?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rossjr said:
Those aren't impulse engines, those are shuttle bays.... The impulse engine is at the base of the part.....
Oops! I've been looking at the Ent-C too much! -thanks.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I remembered seeing the Enterprise D seperate in TNG premier episode.
But it never occured to me that the impulse engine and warp engines are BOTH on the lower ship when detached.

So how the heck did the saucer section manuever, and especially how did it rendevous at FarPoint station without warp drive? :confused:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:
But it never occured to me that the impulse engine and warp engines are BOTH on the lower ship when detached.

So how the heck did the saucer section manuever, and especially how did it rendevous at FarPoint station without warp drive? :confused:
They also have impulse engines on the rear of the saucer section.... one on each side, the red thingies...

In the photo listed above...
http://www.trek5.com/caps/tng/101-1.../TNG101_030.htm
They are not powered up so they are dark ovals....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Chuck_P.R. said:

Simple.

The Saucer has its own impulse engines. one on either side, just beside the docking area at the neck. You can see them in this picture (http://www.trek5.com/caps/tng/101-102/pages/TNG101_031.htm), but they are not used when the saucer is attached. Look directly above the warp engines in the photo.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Thanks, guys. As is probably obvious, I've never bothered to delve deeply into the tech of TNG. Always thought the writers relied on it so much I started to loose interest almost in protest.

Those extra impulse engines explain some manueverability on the part of the saucer.
Doesn't really explain how they were able to rendevous in another star system though.

But then again, it is just a TV show...

[ducks and covers while running out of the room]

·
Registered
760 Posts
I think that they have the ability to separate from each other while at Warp. So the Saucer section can maintain warp speed until the natural resistance in space from the deflectors slow it down. Then it will go under Impulse drive.

But.. Don’t quote me. LMAO

:wave:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I always assumed the saucer had some sort of low-level warp drive that didn't need external nacelles. We've seen plenty of nacelle-less warp-capable ships from different races in all the series, so it wouldn't be out of canon, even though we've never seen a Federation ship that didn't have them.

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
spe130 said:
I always assumed the saucer had some sort of low-level warp drive that didn't need external nacelles. We've seen plenty of nacelle-less warp-capable ships from different races in all the series, so it wouldn't be out of canon, even though we've never seen a Federation ship that didn't have them.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the saucer section ever had anything more than impulse engines. Ever since TOS the saucer section has had the capability to separate from the engineering hull/warp engines (though they never showed this in any of the TV episodes) and was intended to be used as a "lifeboat" while the engineering hull was in combat.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
but I don't think the saucer section ever had anything more than impulse engines.
I know they don't have Warp engines. Except for that one ship in Voyager that split in three. Think all three pieces had Warp engines. But what I was saying is that in Farpoint, didn't they separate at Warp, and the saucer section went the rest of the way to Farpoint Station at a warp speed?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Tholian said:
But what I was saying is that in Farpoint, didn't they separate at Warp, and the saucer section went the rest of the way to Farpoint Station at a warp speed?
I think that was the explanation. problem with that is to go at warp speed you need a warp bubble, which the nacelles produce. Once the saucer left the field, it should have re-entered normal space and glided and just really really fast speed. But the saucer itself shouldn't have been able to maintain warp, and in all reality the idea of seperating during warp shouldn't work (leaving a warp field like that would probably mess everything up.) but a true fan realizes they are a fan of a t.v. show and not real life... so I just let it go and enjoyed it.

Josh

·
Registered
607 Posts
user1127 said:
..so..unless the 'real' ship was built to constantly pull to the right when running on impulse engines, I presume this is a major ERTL FUBAR?
That'd be pulling (yawing) to the left by the way :devil: ...

If the right hangar bay were to be an impulse engine and the larger of the two ...there'd be more thrust on the right side yawing the engineering hull/ship to the left.

·
Banned
3,969 Posts
I seem to recall the explanation being that the saucer section has what are called sustainer coils, which are able to maintain a pre-existing warp field, like when performing a saucer separationn while at warp, and continue at warp velocities for a certain period of time, but is unable to generate a warp field of its own.

Personally, I think it's easier to streamline the process and just attribute this capability to the impulse engines. Less equipment to keep track of, and also accounts for Data's line about how saucer separation is not recommended at ANY warp speed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts