Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a couple of questions reguarding the polar lights / round 2 1/350 enterprise model that im hoping someone can answer.

a) whats the overal width of the model?
b) whats the overal height of the model + stand?
c) whats the window width and height?
d) what leds are best for navs and strobe lights? 1.8mm or 3mm?

thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sir you are brilliant.

they'll still be a pain in the backside to cut out though lol. but easier than voyagers!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, last few questions (maybe lol)

does anyone know the navigation and strobe flash timings for this model?

the 2 lights on the top front of the necells, they're just flood lights right? dont flash or anything?

by the way, its this model

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110938549350?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

im doing research on it while doing voyager so i have my head together when i start this model.

i read through this

http://www.ianlawrencemodels.com/wipplent20.html

awesome build, guy has some amazing ideas that i'll employ for mine i think.

but i could do with some videos of this model where people have (accurately) lit theirs with the relevant lights flashing/strobing that shows all around it so i can take that information to apply to mine.

appreciate the time and help everyone!

i have made mistakes with voyager that i can just about get away with due to the scale, but a 35" model, i need to get my game together and research this before i even attempt it.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
As for the windows, try drawing one in Illustrator, copying it, then sending the file to a sign-making company so they can laser-cut them onto self-adhesive vinyl.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Don't know about the exact timing, trekmodlers and/or DLMs flasher kits got it right as far as I can tell.

The two lights on top and front of the nacelles at the end of the forward trench are amplification crystals, similar to the one at the impulse engine. Those on the nacelles glow slightly blue and appear to be glowing all the time, not just in warp mode.

Yes its the 1/350 PL Refit.

Yes, Ian's build is very inspirational and laid down the foundation to the "raytheon" effect, realizing the spot lights by having light shine through the plastic from the inside. Many have copied his technique since this initial Refit build of his. What I wonder, this, the build you linked to, was to be his test bed for his definite Refit build. Did he ever build his definite Refit? All I know is he did several commission builds after this, but did he ever build HIS version? The one he wants to keep for himself?

This is a video of my AMT/ERTL Refit, you can see the flashing and blinking lights very well (click the picture):

According to Andrew Probert the timing is accurate, he saw my build when it was "new" at CultTVMans site and contacted me to talk a little about it.

Get the AztecDummy masking templates, they are an excellent help in painting this model and provides masking for the view ports too. So you don't need to trouble yourself on how to mask those off.

And not to promote myself but you might want check my current work in progress build thread of the PL 1/350 Refit over at StarshipModelers, perhaps it will help you identify what you need and how to do certain things.

-> PL 1/350 Refit WIP <-

The link to my corresponding -> PL Refit photobucket album

·
Registered
830 Posts
Yes, all the viewports are holes with coresponding clear parts to make them flush to the surface (more or less).

The three that will give you a headache are the Arboretum, VIP-Lounge and REC-Deck windows. They are distorted due to the thick clear palstic and if you put a set behind them, like the arboetum, you can hardly see a thing.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh awesome, im loving this kit before i even get it!

i'll probably swap those particular windows out for thinner clear plastic so the insides can be seem properly.

theres some awesome help on the post back on page 1 near the bottom thats very useful so thanks!

that log will also help a huge amount too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts