Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I've never posted in a forum like this, so let me first say thank you for your patience and understanding as I know ABSOLUTLY NOTHING about any of this. I am looking for some help/advice from you, the experts, on a problem I have encountered.

My daughter found a new hobby in collecting the Hot Wheels Mario Kart Die-Cast Vehicles. Like any collecting hobby she ended up with some duplicates. I came up with the idea of repurposing the duplicates by re-painting them with some metallic model paints and giving them a fun and different look.

I purchased a 7 pack of Testors Metallic Enamel Paints from Amazon and some detailing paint brushes. I painted a couple of the characters and they looked really cool.

Here's my problem: I painted a silver base coat on them, let them sit for 48-72hrs, then went to apply some different colors to the details and the silver paint came right off on my fingers as if I had JUST painted them. The paint didn't seem to dry at all. A lot of it still seemed wet/oily.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing or not doing to make this work? Do I need to let dry for longer? Apply heat with a hair dryer or heat bulb to help dry? Is there a sealer I need to use? Is it my paint? Is it my approach? I'm at a total loss.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have!

Wheel Vehicle Toy Hood Tire

·
Administrator
40,985 Posts
Had you painted the entire casting body in silver or just different parts of it? Over the chrome? Wheels?

Testers paints should fully cure in 72 hours. But temperature and humidity can effect that. What is the average temp in the area you painted them in and left them to dry?

A food dehydrator can speed the process down to 8 hours - unless you want to hold a hair dryer over the paint for 8 hours straight instead!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had you painted the entire casting body in silver or just different parts of it? Over the chrome? Wheels?

Testers paints should fully cure in 72 hours. But temperature and humidity can effect that. What is the average temp in the area you painted them in and left them to dry?

A food dehydrator can speed the process - unless you want to hold a hair dryer over the paint for 8 hours instead!
I only painted the characters and left the actual vehicles alone. I left them to dry in a bathroom in my basement. I would say the average temp down there would be 65-68 degrees. Certainly more on the cooler side. I live in Denver CO so it's not real humid here. Shockingly enough we have yet to see any snow here this season. But my thermostat shows it's about 28% humidity on the main floor of my house.

·
Administrator
40,985 Posts
If you were painting at the temperature as well it may a little to cool but should have been okay.

Is the paint that didnt come off still wet today?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you were painting at the temperature as well it may a little to cool but should have been okay.

Is the paint that didnt come off still wet today?
I actually attempted to wipe everything off so I could pursue some other options. There are spots that do seem completely dry and the paint does not rub off. Maybe it is a matter of just letting them sit and dry longer?

·
Administrator
40,985 Posts
Possibly. What other options are you considering?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly. What other options are you considering?
1.) A different kind of paint or medium? I tried an acrylic paint and the water base was worthless on the smooth plastic. It just kind of pushed around
2.) Create a set up using a heat bulb to let them dry under in a warmer temp
3.) Find a way to "SEAL" it. Using something like modge podge. (Of course it would have to be way more dry.)
4.) Drying them in my air fryer???!!!
4.) Except that I am out of my element, admit that I have put too much time and money into this as it is and explain to my daughter that some of her toys are just going to be the same :) lol

·
Administrator
40,985 Posts
Option 2 might be your best option. You can still use your bathroom. Just hook up the heat lamp in a safe place and away from the castings (not directly pointed at them.)

The air fryer will probably be to hot for them. The heat lamp as well if pointed directly at them.

I hear you saying time and money but some other options would be to drill apart the castings and change just the body colors instead.

You can also use simple green, super clean, or purple power to de-chrome that piece. It will also remove the tampoes from the body and maybe clean up Mario, but it may also take away his painted features.

Once done you can use an indoor adhesive (I use loctites version) to put them back together. That Mario can drive different cars around.

Reactions: Denver 303

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds to me like the Mario character might have a protective film on it that isn't letting the paint bond properly. Try dipping a Q-Tip in some Acetone and go over the Mario character completely. The Acetone won't take long to dry and should remove any oils or protectant without ruining your plastic figure.

As for the Testers paint not drying, are you mixing it up well? I use a toothpick to stir up the paint in the small bottles and it has to be mixed well or it won't coat well, will just kind of smear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds to me like the Mario character might have a protective film on it that isn't letting the paint bond properly. Try dipping a Q-Tip in some Acetone and go over the Mario character completely. The Acetone won't take long to dry and should remove any oils or protectant without ruining your plastic figure.

As for the Testers paint not drying, are you mixing it up well? I use a toothpick to stir up the paint in the small bottles and it has to be mixed well or it won't coat well, will just kind of smear.
Acetone is a good idea! As for mixing I also used toothpicks to mix things up before painting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts