Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

After reading the Emergency thread in the Movie and TV forum I decided to finally make a Squad 51 for myself.

It's based on the AMT 1/24 Lil Red Express 1978 Dodge truck.

It comprises a scratch built rear, resin grill and figures from Ebay and conversions for the chassis extension and bench seat. I'll be trying to make scratch build mirrors and a twinsonic lightbar as well. I plan to have at least two opening cabinets in the rear with equipment. Depending on how well that works out I may do more. If it doesn't work I'll just have closed doors.

One of the first things I needed to work out was how far to extend the chassis, in the end I estimated it to be 8mm more. The custom rear is 96mm long by 78mm wide by 48mm high. There is around a 7mm under hang.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
"Emergency!" was one of my favorite programs when I was a kid. I looked forward to the adventures of Johnny Gage (Randolph Mantooth) and Roy DeSoto (Kevin Tige) every Saturday night, right before "The Rockford Files". When I was about 12, I converted an MPC annual Dodge pickup kit to the Rescue 51 rig. Not having access to sheet plastic stock, I used thin cardboard for the utility body. Much painting and sanding sealed the cardboard OK, but not perfectly. The cabinet doors were just rectangles of cardboard glued on the basic body, painted and polished the same way and outlined in Testor's silver brush paint. Some day I'll look through my old models to see if it survived 30+ years in storage and is restorable. I'll have to find that Little Red Experss reissue for the 4X2 chassis, and I'll completely re-do the utility body the right way, in plastic this time around!

(Looking at all the changes I want to make to redo it right, I might as well start fresh using the L.R.E. as the starting point! Then I can display the restored original with it's cardboard body next to it... )

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's weird that I haven't done one before because like you I have been such a fan of the show over the decades. Just another of those projects that hadn't got off the wish list until now.

One of the other things I've been mulling over is how I'm going to do the double wheels at the rear. Got to either find some spare wheels or just "model up" an inside set.

BTW That's a good idea displaying both your original and the new version together.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update. I've just about finished doing the partitions for the compartments n the body. And done the first hinged doors. I tired a number of commercial jewelery type hinges but they still looked out of scale and were usually stiff so I decided as others had done to make my own hinges out of plastic tube and metal pinning. The good things about this is that they glue well to the styrene and look more in scale.

While fitting the back I discovered I had to further lengthen the rear of the chassis so out with the hobby knife to cut it apart again and add another length of evergreen plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another update. Doors complete on the right hand side. Most of the detailing done on the rear, I just need to add the three smaller red lights in the middle. Compartments done on the left hand side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been working on the twinsonic lightbar the last 2 days. It's made of evergreen plastic strip with lights/reflectors made by using my trusty hole punch. Trying to think of a way to have a grill pattern for the center siren section. The light on top is just clear sprue. I've red tinted the light section and put a temp metal coat on the center.

www.xenodyssey.com/portfolio/Models/Squad51WIP06A.jpg
www.xenodyssey.com/portfolio/Models/Squad51WIP06B.jpg
www.xenodyssey.com/portfolio/Models/Squad51WIP06C.jpg

·
Registered
789 Posts
Your doing a great job on the model!

The Twinsonic light bar on the squad is unique to the Universal built squads.

The clear light on the top of the light bar was on the plans the LA County Fire Dept. gave Universal when the studio offered to build the truck, but it never made it to the squads in the field. It was to be a way to tell the rescue trucks from other fire equipment.

Also per CA.law the light bar has an amber/ orange rear facing light on the bar.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts