Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Were back for our third [email protected] 1922 E Main st Niles Mi starting May 7th. We offer outdoor offroad racing and practice on mondays and saturdays with our first race on june 9th weather permitting.
practice times are Mondays 4:00 pm until dark, and Saturdays 1:00 pm until dark. Practice fees are $2.00 per family @ race fees are $5.00 per class. Questions can be answered by PM here or contact me @ [email protected]. Be Blessed, Rick :thumbsup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we'll race on saturday June 9th, and about every second saturday thru september.
Electric,restrooms pit tables po&water are all available

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We'll be doing a track maintence day on Saturday, April 14th at 10:00 am weather permitting. Anyone wanting to help in this is welcome. If you have a rake please bring it. Be Blessed, Rick

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curt, we won't be giving away plaques for places at this time, trieing to keep the entry per class at two dollars. What we do want to do is cook burgers and dogs and like most of the tracks I'v raced at, a pat on the back for a top three in the mains.
The scoring system is a computer generated one without transponders. In the last two seasons at two different local tracks I've watched dozens of laps missed with transponders. I believe three sets of eyes and a good scoring program will be more acurate. Be Blessed, Rick

·
Delicious Vinyl Graphics
4,284 Posts
Rick, gotta challenge you on this, to a degree. I started racing when transponders didn't exist. I can tell you first-hand from racing from club races, to regionals all across the US, to running races at my buddy's family's track that in the long run, the transponders are much more accurate. (car goes by, you can't read the numbers... two cars tangle in front of you... marshall sprints by....) We did more reviewing of laps than we did anything. Yeah, there's failure with transponders, too. But, you also take the human element out of it. I've watched plenty of bickering and arguments happen 'cause someone feels that the button was pressed a little late, thereby affecting qualifying, or worse, missing the show. Nobody wants to deal with that. Rest assured, you'll hear that sometime.

I've seen, and had, problems scoring on transponders this year. All have been with personal transponders (my son doesn't run a personal, he uses house transponders- with ZERO failures) I had seen where with some systems, the personal can be too close (like was seen at Grand Rapids- why my personal is no longer mounted in the cutout in my CRC... they had the same problem at Cleveland) I seen where a new phone line was installed next to a scoring loop line, causing all sorts of grief. Seen one where the delay was set too high, causing the computer to "skip" laps. But, all were correctable, and had no human element attached to them. Matter of fact, everything from snowmobile racing to NASCAR uses a form of AMB scoring systems. Imagine pressing buttons when Gordon and Jr come across the line at Talladega side-by-side... Now that would be pressure!

I haven't been there (but will be sometime this summer), but it seems you're out for fun (which is cool with me....) If your racing gets "serious", you'll benefit from buying, or better, renting a system (keeping cost down). As your "price of admission" is low, I think it's fine the way it is... But, I do caution that if your racing becomes serious, you'll benefit from the transponders.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ToddFalkowski said:
Rick, gotta challenge you on this, to a degree. I started racing when transponders didn't exist. I can tell you first-hand from racing from club races, to regionals all across the US, to running races at my buddy's family's track that in the long run, the transponders are much more accurate. (car goes by, you can't read the numbers... two cars tangle in front of you... marshall sprints by....) We did more reviewing of laps than we did anything. Yeah, there's failure with transponders, too. But, you also take the human element out of it. I've watched plenty of bickering and arguments happen 'cause someone feels that the button was pressed a little late, thereby affecting qualifying, or worse, missing the show. Nobody wants to deal with that. Rest assured, you'll hear that sometime.

I've seen, and had, problems scoring on transponders this year. All have been with personal transponders (my son doesn't run a personal, he uses house transponders- with ZERO failures) I had seen where with some systems, the personal can be too close (like was seen at Grand Rapids- why my personal is no longer mounted in the cutout in my CRC... they had the same problem at Cleveland) I seen where a new phone line was installed next to a scoring loop line, causing all sorts of grief. Seen one where the delay was set too high, causing the computer to "skip" laps. But, all were correctable, and had no human element attached to them. Matter of fact, everything from snowmobile racing to NASCAR uses a form of AMB scoring systems. Imagine pressing buttons when Gordon and Jr come across the line at Talladega side-by-side... Now that would be pressure!

I haven't been there (but will be sometime this summer), but it seems you're out for fun (which is cool with me....) If your racing gets "serious", you'll benefit from buying, or better, renting a system (keeping cost down). As your "price of admission" is low, I think it's fine the way it is... But, I do caution that if your racing becomes serious, you'll benefit from the transponders.

:thumbsup:
Thanks Todd, I allways appreicate the input. In the long term serious racing I guess that transponders are the best way. I know that all the major racing programs use that type of system. For our situation, we'll stick with the system we have. If we get serious, we'll have to rethink all of this.
Hope to see you guys out this summer. Be Blessed, Rick :wave:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes the track was sweet, nicely setup and the people are great. Had a blast there saturday and look forward to more time on the track. Can't wait for the first race in June. The setup is nice for 1/10th racing and watching that throttle can definitely lead to 10min mains, something I have always been wondering about with electric :)
(in case you wonder, this is jcor2213 :D )

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
good news guys,
our friends at MCRC are going to score the races for our season starting june 9th. their AMB systm allows for personals as well. Class schedule will be coming next week. As for rules, were following Roar for the most part. We'll differ when we allow 13.5 BL to run in the stock class. We'll allow 2 cell 20c lipos as well but all cars will need to make weight. Were looking into plaques or trophies in classes as well. If we go that way we'll have to raise the entry price too 5-6 dollars per class. Look forward to seeing you on the 9th. Be Blessed, Rick :wave:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone who came today, over thirty at our first race! A special thanks to Aaron from MCRC for scoring us, To Mike and Amy for the food, To my wife for signup and everything else she allways does ( she's got bragging rights for first in the novice main). To Michael and Noah for help watering, and to my son Andy, for teching and setup.And to the lord, for blessing the day. Looking forward to next months racing :) see ya, Be Blessed, Rick :wave:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts