Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 12v, 300mA output transformer that I am using to power my Enterprise D model. I use 2 inverters for 3 flourecent lamps to light the model, as well as for the 4 red LEDs in the bussards. I recently changed my nacelles from using flourecents to using EL (from NightLaunch). My problem is this:

The inverter for the EL uses only 9v, and I am supplying 12v. Obviously, this will not work. I do not want to have 2 separate power supplies. Is there a way I can reduce down the 12v to the 9v? Is there a specific resistor I can use, or another option?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Do you have the current ratings of the inverters? I am not sure if your transformer has enough output.

I know it is frowned upon but I have put a resistor inline with LEDs to get the correct current. If you want to use a resistor you will have ot know the current draw of the EL inverter to work it out.

I have used 12V-9V converters before but I have fried a couple of them. I now use automotive transformers. Again I do not konw if your transformer will work with an automotive transformer.

Why did yo ugo from fluorescent tubes to EL? I would think the fluorescent tubes would be brighter.

HTH

Alex
Styrofoam Guy

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still looking into options as far as converting hte power goes.. dunno what I am gonna do yet... ATM, I am just gonna run it off a 9V battery:p

As far as why I switched... I felt that the CCFTs were *too* bright for my nacelles. My goal was to have my model look like it is cruising through space on impulse power, thus the warp nacelles are powered down, and have a light blue glow.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You might be able to use a honkin' 10 watt 3.9 volt zener diode in series with the inverter to drop the 12 volts down. Experiment first though (make sure things don't get too hot etc., styrene melts pretty easily), don't find out the hard way after the kit's completed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts