Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of going to 3 or 4 different threads so I figured that we could start a thread. I would like to see the "electric" racing grow and feel that the lipo/brushless class might be part of the answer. I know cola has shown us at Medina that a BL/lipo truck can be fast, fun, and an alternative to gas for racers that want to run long electric mains.

This is what Columbus electric director has come up with:
1) LIPO will not be run in stock class. stock will stay with ROAR battery rules. at this time we will allow the 13.5 brushless system if it starts showing to much of an advantage we will put a gear requrerment on it. OR like carpet guy's call it a roll out rule.

2) lipo will be allowed in mod class. along with brushlees. So if you have a 3.5 brushless and you can control the power bring it on.

3) we will stay with 5 min mains through out the points series after it is over then It will be my suggestion to go to 7 min mains for stock and 6 min mains for mod.

I agree with most, one thing that I would change would be to have 5 min. qualifiers and 10 min. mains. I'm sure if we come up with a game plan and show it to the track owners, they would be more than happy to do it.

One thing I don't want to see is to run to many different classes, then your thining everyone out, and will run into time constrants. So we need to come up with classes that will be far to all, but will also let lipo/brushless move forward. Let me know what you guys think.

Mike

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Good points Mike! We really don't need a seperate class for bl and lipo. If main times changed, I don't see why a matched 4200 battery and a hand wound mod motor couldn't make 10min. It would be cheaper to run a lipo compaired to a matched battery because all you need is one battery, unless you don't have a charger that is lipo compatible then it would get a little pricey. I hope we can get some more people to run electric this summer. :)

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Mike!

Here is my take on it. I am all for longer mains. And David brings up an excellent point, 4200's with as hand wound mod motors should go 10 minutes. But, will that setup do it more than once? I don't know, probably will but I know that most of the mod guys I have spoken to (brushed motor mod guys) did NOT want longer mains because of wear and tear. This was last season so maybe this season will be different.

I stand by my thought that this needs to be an all or nothing type of thing. If a person does not have the 4200's and cannot run 10 minutes forcing that person to run longer would not be fair (as Mike pointed out this needs to be fair for all).

I hope Jason M. and some others will chime in on this as they have a lot of experience with this type of thing. From my point of view making the electric mains longer like the gas mains would be awesome. Not to mention more fair from a cost point of view (the electric racer pays the same entry fee as the gas guys do). As a matter of fact I was THINKING and I stress the thinking part, about adding an additional qual (4 total) for the electric guys to help even out the track time. This would require that the electric mains be run last though so everyone would have time to charge their batteries for the mains. So I am not sure how running electric last would be recieved. Although I am SURE to people that live around the track would like it!

I too hope for a better turnout for the electric classes this year. I hope the Open format will help. We tested this concept last year and yes Mod does have an advantage (with the right driver) but a good driver with a stock motor could run right up there with the mod guys. I know Wayne and Jason have both told me they like 19t instead of mod most days (unless the bite is WAY up). And if it becomes too unfair we will look at putting a stock class back in place.

I will end by saying I think Brushless motors and Lipo batteries are the life blood of keeping electric racing alive and Medina R/C Raceway will support any racer that chooses to run them!

As always if you guys have ANY question please feel free to ask. I want to make sure I do my part to help EVERYONE have a good time racing!

Chris

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
I currently don't have the abillity to charge lipo but I have seen the benifits and will be upgradeing soon. I am all for the new technology. It is not out of the price range it is very close to the current "old school" stuff. Losi even sells a RTR brushless truck so even the new guy can get in with out loosing an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I was looking for. Not saying that if you don't run BL or Lipo that you can not run the class. I think you can run Nimh and a mod motor and still make it. It would be to your advantage in the long run to run BL/lipo because of the wear and tear on equipment. With the longer mains it might even start to end up like gas truck were you only have 2-3 out of a main finish. But as in 1/8 scale keeping your stuff together is part of racing.

Here is my thought on classes:

Novice-As stated-5 min. qual., 7 min. mains

2wd stock- 13.5 BL, NO lipo, Nimh, stock motors, 5 min. qual., 10 min. mains

Stock Truck- 13.5 BL, No lipos, Nimh, stock motor, 5 min. qual., 10 min. mains

Pro 2wd-4wd- any brushless, lipo, Nimh, mod. motors, 5 min. qual., 10 min. mains

Pro Truck- any brushless, lipo, Nimh, mod. motors, 5 min. qual., 10 min. mains

Again, I wouldn't want to thin the electric guys out to much, so we would have to see how it goes. But we do need to set down some standards before the season begins and not frey from this. Some racers will have to understand that an equipment change might be needed to be competitive. I wouldn't want it to be like last year were we are deciding on the forum what everyone wants to run (19T, stock, mod., etc.) the week before the races. If you know what the classes are going to be then you can prepare for the season on what class you want to run.

Mike

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Batteries & stuff

I'll chime in on this with a couple of points.

1. I agree with longer mains to a point. I think 7 mins should be the max. for reasons of battery. (I have 3800's). Also for the reasons Chris mentioned about wear 7 tear on motors.

2. I see what you mean about to many classes thinning things out. But, I don't see how you could tell someone thay can't run X class. If there are enough to make a class, it should be run. Number for the class is determined by the race official. Don't think you can change the current system. I WAS just thinking about the old days when you had 4wd & buggy only!

If my Turmoil doesn't sell I'm thinking about a 1/8 electric conversion. That class is coming as well. Rick A

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention,

Just as in Gas racing only the A's would be longer the B's down would all be at 5 minutes.

There is a bigger problem than just thinning the classes out....we have an 11:00 deadline to get all the racing done. So if we have 3 extra heats becasue of additional classes plus longer mains we are going to run into time problems. Last year we were normally done by 9:30 - 10:00, 3 additional heats and long mains puts us over the deadline even starting a 1/2 hour earlier than we did last year. Starting even earlier is not a good option as some of our regulars are going to have a hard time getting there at 3:00 as it is, we just can't move it up any more.

We will be running 12 cars in the qualifiers to help minimize the number of heats but this will not help the total number if we get 3 extra classes that only have 4-6 entries.

Great idea getting the classes sorted out before the season starts! I thought that everyone had agreed on the Open class idea as I never heard anyone say otherwise. So I think all that is left to decide is the length of the mains!

Chris

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great points Rick. Let me reply to some of them:

1. Running 7 minute mains defeats the whole purpose of moving the electric class forward. If we are going to do this then you have to split up the guys that only have 3300's to run together and then a class for 3800's, etc. In gas there is such a wide variety of .21 motors but we don't split the class up. And we don't change the class because someone has a stock 3 port compared to a modded 5-7 port.

I'm not saying to turn anyone away. As you stated the track director can make the call if he has a racer that's wants to run 19t with 3800's in there truck.

We can make the stock classes just 7 min., this would help with the time constrants and wear on the cars/trucks.

If need be you can run the stock together and the pro together this would also help with time.

2. We don't want to turn anyone away, we just want to show what the new technology can do for electric racing.

Chris- time for qualifiers and mains should be the same as in gas for the pro electric classes. 5 min. qual. 10 min. A mains, all the rest 7 min. mains.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Rick. Aren't you running the 5800 in it? With that motor and a 3800 you should easily be able to run 15min with it. I have run 10min with my 6.5 and a 3300, so I don't think you will have any problems with run time.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I guess my 3800's will run awhile with my brushless. I need new batteries. My 3800's will only take 3500! lol

How long will a 3800 run with a brushed modified?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
RCBOYZ said:
Chris- time for qualifiers and mains should be the same as in gas for the pro electric classes. 5 min. qual. 10 min. A mains, all the rest 7 min. mains.
Mike, we run 5 minutes lower mains for the gas classes. However, normally the 1/8 scale and Arena Truck A's are 15 minutes. We cut them short (5 minute) if we run into time problems.

Chris

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
badassrevo said:
I can be the test pig, I have 3300. 3800 brushed and brushless. We will have to run some timed test runs.
Thanks Doug,

Keep an eye on comm wear. Oh and it would be great to see if/how much the laptimes drop off on the brushed motor compared to the Brushless. That data would be really helpful in determining the main time.

Chris

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
ccm399 said:
David I wasn't saying we should run a 15 minute pro truck main just pointing out the times we run now. Besides 15 minutes on a brushed motor would be a killer.

Chris
I was talking to Rick about how long you can run a 3800 and a mod motor.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts