Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I finally got around to building a Focke Wulf! That only leaves the dozen or so still in my piles!

This is Eduard's new kit, and Fw-190A-8. Insanely detailed kit with full cockpit, gun bays and engine detail, and scads of photo-etch. Some fairly, um, challenging assembly moments here. I was going to put the mortar tubes under the wings, but they feature four indivdual mounting rods with no way to align them but guesswork. I was too tired of vague alignment by that point, so I didn't bother.

It's also a little bit too bad that gluing the hood open tends to hide the insanely detaled cockpit!

Despite the fully detailed engine, there's no provision for opening the cowling.

There's plenty of opportunity here to add lots of detail to the gun bays - wiring and such. I wanted to get it finished, though, so what you see is no more than what's provided in the kit. Which is a lot!

·
Registered
937 Posts
John,
You did a fantastic job on that Fw 190!

I will probably get one of those Eduard kits mainly because of the extra detail and open panels...perfect for my airfield pictures.

Agentsmith

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a note about the antenna wire: I see a lot of modeler's make the wire slack, figuring that it's attached to the canopy, so it must go slack when the canopy is rolled back. That's incorrect. Every photo I've ever seen of a 190 with the canopy open shows the antenna wire taut. There was apparently a reel mechanism on the wire, like the reel in a tape measure, that kept it tight when the canopy rolled back.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Great job and Great photos! I have one of those in my stash I'll have to get to, but for now I Jonesing for a Catalina. I know I'm sick...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts