Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently purchased a slot on ebay that was advertised as no split posts. When the car arrived it had a rear post that was split and the screw will not hold. I contacted the seller and he said return it but would not refund the shipping I spent getting it here or sending it back. I told him that his listing was miss-represented and that wasn't fair. His next reply was " It's only a couple of dollars to return it. What do you want from me?". Well I look at it that he charged me $5.00 shipping + I have to spend another couple dollars to return something I never would have bid on if he was honest. I decided to keep the car because it wasn't a lot of money and it will make a good runner. Here's the question, should I leave negative feedback, neutral, or just forget about it?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
file claim NOW
That did cross my mind. I have filed claims before when larger somes of money were involved. For what I spent it wasn't that bad of a car and is why I decided to keep it. If the guy had admitted a mistake and apologized I probably would have forgot about it.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
IMHO...Letting it slide is exactly why we are... where we are.

Eventually poor service, bad attitudes and premeditated ommissions of condition become the status quo!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would give him a chance to make it right.. but if he doesn't rate him accordingly. It doesn't help you but it lets the next guy know to be more careful or to not deal with this seller.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sell on ebay occasionally and if I made an error like that I would take it back and reimburse the shipping for the buyers trouble or offer a partial refund if they didn't want to return it.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to leave NEG.

Bob

·
Registered
641 Posts
...His next reply was " It's only a couple of dollars to return it. What do you want from me? "
He's asking you what you want.

" I want a refund for the full purchase price & the shipping for you wasting my time."

If he won't do that.

" Then why did you ask me what I want ? "

·
Registered
452 Posts
There are a lot of variables so I would say if it wasn't close then a NEG would be appropriate. You did keep it so I might go with the grey button and tell others to beware that item was not as described. I have sold junkyards and listed them as that "Junkyard." When the buyer recieved it he wanted a refund because it was all junk he said. DUH. A refund was given and positive feedback was left by all parties. I gave them to a good friend and went on. You gotta pick your battles as some sellers just don't even know what they got. Some are scum trying to pass junk on and they do need to be exposed. Look through the items sold and feedback before you slam him or her. David

·
Registered
793 Posts
I've gotten my share of turds off eBay. Some sellers were very easy to work with and others total pricks.

If the item was not as described and not damaged in shipping, the seller should be sending you a full refund including the shipping AND telling you to keep the car OR pay you the shipping to return it.

What would I do?

Open a PayPal dispute and request a refund of all funds paid.

Esclate the dispute to a claim as soon as possible under the dispute system.

PayPay will very likely force you to return the item. Send the seller back his empty shipping box with delivery confirmation.

You may only be refunded the amount paid less the shipping/handling, but you will still have the car.

Leave a negative feedback on eBay.

My method requires one to lie, but at least you recover some of the money paid and the item dosen't get re-listed for another buyer to deal with. As eBay's polices keep driving out small time, low volume sellers, more buyers will demand a level of service more inline with a retail outfit than a Mom & Pop working out of the basement. The sooner sellers figure this out the better.

·
Registered
452 Posts
My method requires one to lie, but at least you recover some of the money paid and the item dosen't get re-listed for another buyer to deal with. As eBay's polices keep driving out small time, low volume sellers, more buyers will demand a level of service more inline with a retail outfit than a Mom & Pop working out of the basement. The sooner sellers figure this out the better.
Don't do that. That may be what started the problem in the first place.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sent another message to the seller:

"I bid on your car in good faith that your description was correct (no split posts). Yes you offered to take it back which is good but only for the sale price which means I will be out the $5.00 you charged for shipping + more shipping and my time to send it back to you. Furthermore you have not apologized or showed any sympathy for the error. My maximum bid for this car was more then the selling price which means I was willing to go a lot higher, thankfully it didn't. I am not going to file a claim for this small dollar amount and I am not going to waste my time returning it and be out $7.00 or more for both shipping charges. I am going to leave appropriate feedback which will be neutral since I decided to keep the car and attempt to make a repair on it.

Bob"

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I sent another message to the seller: I am going to leave appropriate feedback which will be neutral since I decided to keep the car and attempt to make a repair on it.

Bob"
This guy deserves a negative..... He misrepresented the car, and wants to make a profit by getting the car back and getting paid to ship it to you? You're being way too kind my friend.

He deserves the neg, give it to him. Anything else and he wins...

·
Registered
641 Posts
You don't want to let him get the best of you.

Eventually one of your replies might have to be,
something about pounding sand where the sun don't shine.

But that would be just to get his blood pressure up.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Don't think I'd have been that nice either. The least he could do would be to refund a portion of your winning bid due to the condition being misrepresented. We're not talking about a small split if it won't even hold a screw. That is deliberate deception, and he shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts