Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is it me? Why when I do a search three times with the SAME info in the serach field do i get three DIFFERENT sets of results??

Why doesn't it consistently search the same every time?? And none of these were new auctions. I just don't get it.

I wonder how many pieces I have missed??

Dip

·
Registered
582 Posts
I do the same eBay search 2-4 times a day, and will find the same things every time. I have a quite complex search: (hummer, humvee, "hum vee", humv, "hum v", hmmwv, h1) -h2 -h3t -scraphead*
Category: Toys & Hobbies
Sort: Newly Listed

I have found that the more specific you are with your terms - the "better" your search results are. Try to use the advanced search functions.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
If you put a comma between words will it bring up different listings with just one of the search items ? Didnt seem to work for me when listing years that way ( Example. 60 , 1960 Ford ) It would only bring up listings with both of those words in it .... not single word listings .. Makes for longer searches , as I have to list both ways to search for stuff .

·
Registered
582 Posts
eBay search help

• Search is not case sensitive.
  • Inside parentheses will find any word. This is useful for frequently miss-spelled words, and date or spelling variations.
    • (hummer, humvee, hmmwv)
    • (jurassic, jurrasic , jurasic)
    • (1965, 65)
    • (spiderman, "spider man")
  • Without parentheses will find all words.
  • Inside quotation marks will find a phrase.
    • "hum vee"
    • "hum v"
  • Exclude a word by placing a minus sign (dash) before it.
    • -h2
    • -h3t
  • Use an asterisk (star) at the end of a term as a "wild card".
    • creepster* will find: creepster creepsters
    • 196* will find: 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969
  • To find "steals" search for a specific item in "All Categories".
    I have won numerous bargains when the item was listed in the wrong category.
  • Unless you have lots of time to sort through junk listings, avoid searching "title and description". Keyword spammers will hide frequently searched terms in their descriptions to get "lookers".
  • link to eBay's General Search Tips

1 - 4 of 4 Posts