Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are a few of my recent wins I wanted to brag about and rub in---er uh ummm.....share with you guys. I dont think I got any truly smokin deals, but definitely on the good side of fair.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220499828662
This car isnt hard to find, but they seem to be hard to win. IMHO, its easily the best looking version of the mold and Ive tried to get one at least a dozen times, always got outbid. The body was flawless, at least a C9.5 The seller described it very well-- if you read the ad he fully advertised exactly what the car was. Those super G+ chassis with the orange magnets/gears are worth more than this by themselves, even with the cracked pinion gear! Even better, the chassis had no more than a lap or two on it. A new pinion, fresh rear tires and some oil and this baby hauls.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170401993879
Again, not exactly a rare car but the medium blue with red windows Nomad doesnt need to be fancy since the thing just 'pops'. Ive tried for one of these about as many times as the Greenwood corvette above and managed to strike it lucky. The body had no flaws other than minor chrome wear and the front (smooth) part of the roof was a little dull with some minor 'flipover' scuffs. I rubbed it with CD scratch remover for like 20 seconds and it shines like new. The chassis cleaned up and ran great, just like he said but I swapped in a non-mag since I figured that the handling matched the style of car a little better.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170401376424
I got this just for the Gulf Porsche. For some reason those seem to sell for more than what Im willing to pay. Havent gotten it yet, so between the vague description and pics I dont know if my gamble will pay off but I figure if the chassis are both good, then I still did ok. The window post is bent on the Cuda, but I can prolly ReBay it and recoup at least half my costs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290367163425
All I wanted was the Firebird --another 'best looking version of' which Ive been chasing for a while. As a bonus, it even looks like its got the stocker wheels. The roadrunner and javelin bodies will be junk, but the datsun and chevelle will ReBay just nicely, even without the grilles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260503904096
Couldnt resist this one! Usually one-off customs are something I avoid buying on ebay since its a mixed bag, but Ive dealt with this seller before with no issue. I scored a one off full chrome Tyco Jeep a few years back and it may have even come from him. The tyco was a nice piece, so Im confident about this one too.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
wow, you did get some good deals. Love the Nomad... and I never saw a Jav like that chrome, yellow and black one... is that a custom?

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
I think in reality MOST people are decent buyers/sellers on ebay, occasionally you get a turd or something you thought was a little better then expected, but again Most of the time it's cool.
It's the ebay/paypal greed that I don't like, they should cater a little more to the $15.00 and under sellers, because after all the fees, it just isn't worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I think in reality MOST people are decent buyers/sellers on ebay, occasionally you get a turd or something you thought was a little better then expected, but again Most of the time it's cool.
It's the ebay/paypal greed that I don't like, they should cater a little more to the $15.00 and under sellers, because after all the fees, it just isn't worth it.
Nice cars!
I agree Ed, but they don't want those low profit sellers anyway. I'm sure in their opinion they would rather you didnt waste their time...
Sorry to hi-jack the thread .

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VJ--its definitely a custom, and a poorly done one based on the pics.

And you guys are right about the $15 and under crowd. Slots are unpredictable, sometimes I sell a fairly common tyco 440 for $20+ on there, and then a fairly tough to find AFX goes for my opening bid of $5.99. No rhyme or reason to it. But if you look on the Bay, there are a LOT of smaller items that'll sell for under $15 so it seems that theyd definitely want to cater to us and make it up in the volume. I mean really, they cant have much overhead since all theyre doing is posting something online.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,320 Posts
Although all good deals, I think the #4 was definitely the pick of the litter!!
You haven't eBayed that #29 Chevelle yet have you?

Here's some stuff I got a decent deal on recently...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0671654&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_924

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...941464&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1032wt_683

I thought I had bought more stuff recently, but it's been a while.
Man, this year has flown by.

Rich
www.myspace.com/northtexasslotcars :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
It's the ebay/paypal greed that I don't like
It's a business. Businesses exist to make money for their owners and shareholders. Don't like 'em, don't use 'em. But they have every right to make money and run their business as they see fit. They don't tell you how to run your business or set expectations on how much they think you should be making from your endeavors.

E-Bay is no different than anything else. The squeaky wheels make the most noise. Millions of people reap the benefits of E-bay every single day. That's why they are so successful.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That lot hasnt even arrived yet, Rich. But if you want that Chevelle, Ill get to you once it shows up and I can clean it up and see what Im dealing with. Id much rather sell here than on the 'bay.

AFX2, being the capitalist dog that I am, I gotta mostly agree. But I will say that Ebay's fees have gotten out of line in the past few years. I mean its their show, they can run it how they want to. I just wish there was another auction site had the slothead traffic. A serious competitor would get this in line, but so far the few other auction sites Ive seen havent impressed me.

Also the gulf porsche and funny cuda came in today. The porsche body is pristine except for the tip of the wing on one side is slightly bent. The cuda's window posts are bent and cracked, but nothing is missing. Prolly a minor fix for a goo wizard like Bill. Both chassis are in dire need of a cleaning and oiling but when I touched em to a 9 volt, they responded eagerly. The bulb in the flamethrower even lit up. Once I clean and oil them, they should fly. Theyre even non magnatractions, which is awesome.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The fact that nobody can deliver a viable alternative to e-bay is not e-bay's fault. Craigs list is probably the closest but not quite there. Anyone is free to try. Until competition arrives, they get to call the shots. To the victor go the spoils as longs as the free market economy prevails. Considering the alternatives I think it is a pretty good deal. Without e-bay how would you know that some guy 500 miles away has something you want? Drive there? Write a letter? I've driven 8 hours round trip to slot car shows. I'll bet I ate more than a few paypal surcharges on that trip.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, I agree AFX2. At least 80% of my collection is ebay scores and between cost effectiveness and selection it cant be beat. But I still say if they could make a profit at the lower fees, why raise them? That just p!sses people off.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I just did a quick check on fees. I'll be paying over 11.65 percent between ebay and paypal. What a racket! John Gotti would have loved it!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
i sell on ebay all the time, and the fees for slot cars under toys and hobby is 12.35% with an additional 3.2% for paypal. that is really rediculous. along with the .35 listing fees. so if you have a 100.00 transaction ebay gets 15.00 or more for just letting us sell on there. now maybe all can see why we dont like ebay, you cant sell cars for 7.00 or 8.00 and come out in the black. we have to adjust our prices in order to make a buck.???? just my 2 cents worth.

Richard,
wheelz63

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If I didn't need a PayPal account, I'd still buy items on Ebay. That's the only gripe I have. Since Ebay pulled that trick, Ebay lost my business.

Just because it's legal for Ebay to require PayPal accounts for all transactions, DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT OR FAIR!

I've heard to many horror stories with PayPal. No Thanks.

Randy.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If I didn't need a PayPal account, I'd still buy items on Ebay. That's the only gripe I have. Since Ebay pulled that trick, Ebay lost my business.

Just because it's legal for Ebay to require PayPal accounts for all transactions, DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT OR FAIR!

I've heard to many horror stories with PayPal. No Thanks.

Randy.
Randy,

I found that about 90% of most sellers that if you email them before you bid and ask them if they would take a money order they have said yes.

Dave

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And I would be one of those 90%. I used to hate dealing with money orders, but now that ebay is trying to tell me I have to refuse peoples money, Im all too happy to take them.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Ebay fees.. and treasure hunting...

I use ebay quite a bit and paypal is right there to collect my cash and their share..

It absolutely kills me when I list something (listing fee), sell it (sellers fee), then get paid (paypal fee)... Its like triple taxation...

But the truth is, and someone nailed it earlier, that even though we have nice stuff for sale, how do you find buyers? Ebay is the quickest and easiest way to get the most people looking at your stuff.

I think I paid in the $800 range when all fees were considered while selling a collection I bought. The question is, while listing the 500+ auctions did I make an extra $1.50 per auction because that many more people saw and bid on my stuff? I would guess yes.

I always try to offer stuff I'm getting rid of to the members here, but there are only so many people that are looking to buy here. So it's off to ebay. Sometimes I sell stuff for twice what I asked here, and other times about the same..

But.. you know you like searching the 'bay for the "treasure".. LOL

-Marc and Marcus

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Randy,

I found that about 90% of most sellers that if you email them before you bid and ask them if they would take a money order they have said yes.

Dave
Here's a dumb question. Would I ask them through Ebay's system? Wouldn't Ebay find out and pull them as a seller? Randy.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
hey a/fx nut, i am also one of the 90% if you ask me through ebay, i will just send my name and address and not say anything else, that way if asked by ebay if i said yes i take money orders i can deny it all the way. that way its up to the buyer to decide if they are sending a m.o. or not.

just my 2 cents worth,
Richard
(wheelz63)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts