Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you have tried browsing for kits on ebay recently but they have turned what used to be a fairly pleasurable experience into a nightmare.
The separate categories are all gone to be replaced with an all-encompassing "Model Kit" category with aircraft,tanks,figures,trucks,ships etc. all lumped into the same basket.
So now, rather than leisurely browsing your favourite kits, you have to wade through endless lists of things you don't want.
The search option only finds some of what you're after.
The upshot of all this is that sales are down causing less people to advertise their wares resulting in less choice for the buyer.
There was always a healthy mix of Aurora kits on there but last night there were only 18 items listed, very few of them figures.
It seems that as a hobby we are being marginalised yet again. I'd like to think that ebay might notice the drop-off in sales and change things back but somehow I doubt it.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I'm confused by what you're saying here. Just now I typed in "Aurora Model" and got 550 items. When I typed in "Aurora Model Kit", I got 158 items. "Polar Lights Model" - 104 items. "Polar Lights Model Kit" - 86 items. "Resin Model" - 610 items, "Resin Model Kit" - 495 items, etc. Of course this is pretty much the way I've always searched and I can't detect that anything has changed.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I'm confused as well, 'cause everything I see on e-Bay shows the same sub-categories for Models that was there before. In fact, click on the "Science Fiction" sub-category in the link that beeblebrox gives above and you'll see it further broken down to include Other Science Fiction, Star Wars, Star Trek, Gundam and Macross.

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
beeblebrox said:
The way to get the most hits is to backspace the word "model kit" in the search box and leave it blank. Also check the little check box just below it so it will search (for good measure). Keep the models kits catagory (to the right ) alone. NOW look at how many kits there are on e-bay! haha. The catagories are right there on the side bar to the left as usual. 35,945 at this particular second. 475 are monster and 875 are character figures, etc.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I rarely use ebay's categories. I usually just type in a search similar to what Zorro listed---except that I usually get more specific. After the search is done, I save it as a bookmark(Netscape/Firefox)/favorite(Internet Explorer). That way I don't have to retype the same search criteria every time. In fact, I've got about 15 different searches saved at the moment. Once I acquire the item, I simply delete that bookmark/favorite.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I do that w/my searches, tho, as I might want to come back later and look for similar items. Being a big Star Trek and BSG fan, I've got searches for both of those types of models bookmarked. As you said, saves time.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My apologies, it seems that the problem is just here in the UK. If I go to the US site all the kits are still there!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Those bad, bad people! Take away their dessert, says I!

Seriously, tho, that's too bad that htey're making it harder for you to find stuff. You'd think they would want it to be easy for their clients to find what they want. After all, if they turn enough folks off to shopping on e-Bay then they won't get as much money 'cause not as many folks will be having bidding wars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts