Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that there are suddenly an awful lot of Aurora Wonder Woman kits and Superboys on eBay lately? I even saw one very overpriced original Confederate Raider. One seller has started putting up resin recasts of Wonder Woman like crazy at what he claims is a bargain price of just under $100.

Kind of like what happened with Big Frankie a few months back, right before the Moebius repop debuted.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Happened with Rommels Rod and the Moon Bus...

Of course I unloaded my RR and MB kits quite a while ago (both when the market was up and way before any reissue news...).

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I seen them poping up on ebay also and its funny cause they sat on them kits for the longest time thinking there made of Gold and thinking they will get a whole lota money for them when they put them on ebay.So when they see someone like Moebuis reissuing them now they are breaking there necks to get rid of them and trying to get top dollar before the reissues come out and kill the value of the OriginALS.My opion thats what they get for hording them kits and being greedy thinking that they will get rich from them down the road LOL

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah,I saw a guy who had a "factory built up" Big Frankie the other day on ebay for a mere $9999.99 plus $60.00 shipping. Cheap. Some people live in their own little worlds.:freak:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I seen them poping up on ebay also and its funny cause they sat on them kits for the longest time thinking there made of Gold and thinking they will get a whole lota money for them when they put them on ebay.So when they see someone like Moebuis reissuing them now they are breaking there necks to get rid of them and trying to get top dollar before the reissues come out and kill the value of the OriginALS.My opion thats what they get for hording them kits and being greedy thinking that they will get rich from them down the road LOL
people also forget the fact that the only reason that these collectibles are valuable is that so few of them have survived to our time.
once i was in a k-mart, picking up a friend who was getting off work, and i saw 2 fanboys filling a cart with all the new st:tng action figures.
what guys like those 2 dont realize is that there are thousands of other fanboys across the country doing exactly the same thing, and that in 20 years time those "collectibles" will be worth barely more than their original value.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
^That's what happened with the comic industry in the 80s. All those multi-cover collectors' issues that everybody bought multiple copies of. That today are worth, well, maybe twice cover price.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I had to put up a big sign in my shop window NOT A FLEA MARKET I DO NOT BUY JUNK becuase lately I get 10 people a day dragging in all this collectible "crap" they hoarded up and want to unload. I hear it over and over... I paid $20 for this Dale Earnhart car... I paid $15 for this McFarlane figure... They don't want to hear the stuff is WORTHLESS. In the bad economy we have now, everyone is trotting out thier stuff to try to make money and no one is buying. I tell them just to go throw the stuff away.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just remember...Original Aurora kits are STILL original Aurora kits... the new Moebius kits will be Moebius kits and there will be differences.... Even though the kits will be reproductions of the original Aurora they are not originals.. Part numbers may or may not be the same - injection colors may not be the same, the boxes will not have the Aurora Logo and the instruction sheets will be different...
If the Original Aurora kits were rare yesterday, they will still be rare next year....
The values will drop somewhat... but those kits are still collectible...

Dave

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
... and to be fair to the people who are trying to sell, the vast majority of these people didn't get these kits for free. I'll bet you that for every one "dealer" that paid nothing for one of these ultra-rare Aurora kits at a yard sale, there are 10 of them that are hobbyists who paid "collectible" prices and are now going to take a loss. Whether you derive a certain "schadenfreude" from that scenario depends on your perspective.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I agree with Dave that the purists will still want the original Auroras simply for nostalgia and rarity. Eventually the market will stabilize.
On the other hand, Moebius is putting kits in our hands that we once thought were out of reach. For people who want to actually put the model together (or at least contemplate the act), this year will be a dream come true.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I'm listing a comic scenes superboy built up on ebay in the next week or two. LOL.. maybe a few (non reissued..as of yet anyway) other kits as well..

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I agree, only Aurora kits are true Aurora kits. I'm happy with repops but see the value of the originals.

But the people trying to cash in do amuse me. And the guy selling the resin recast of Wonder Woman ... I suspect it's the same fellow who was listing Moebius Dr. Jekyll as Mr. Hyde kits on eBay for $350 several months before they were even available.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Oh yeah E-Bay is the home of buyer beware!
If you don't really KNOW what you are looking at on e-bay you can sure pay WAAAAAAY to much for FAR too little!!!
I very rarely buy anything on e-bay......

Dave

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I don't know... buying stuff on eBay is no different or worse than going to Hobbytown where they jack the price 40% and just grabbing stuff off the shelf because its there... I buy and sell on eBay often. Buyers and sellers can get good deals.

With older kits value is relative. I have a friend that will spend pretty much any amount for a kit. He will pester me week after week about some of my Aurora airplane kits. It starts out $20... then next week its $30... I just say no, no, no... Eventually he will plop down $200 cash and I say YES. I could buy the same kit on eBay for $20 again... He doesn't have a computer.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I like to hold something I'm going to plop money down for in my hot little hand.. I don't generally very buy much mail order .... When I do buy over the net it tends to be from established merchanrts I'm not an e-bay auction customer... I may sell on e-bay but generally won't buy there..
Dave

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Unfortunately, practically the only place I can get some of the Kaiyodo vinyl dino kits is on E-bay. But it is buyer beware, to be sure!

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
people also forget the fact that the only reason that these collectibles are valuable is that so few of them have survived to our time.
once i was in a k-mart, picking up a friend who was getting off work, and i saw 2 fanboys filling a cart with all the new st:tng action figures.
what guys like those 2 dont realize is that there are thousands of other fanboys across the country doing exactly the same thing, and that in 20 years time those "collectibles" will be worth barely more than their original value.
Very true. With the current market, and the way people treat 'collectables' now.
Very little will be rare 20 years from now. One of the reasons I wouldn't let my kids throuw any kind of cash at beanie babies back in the day when they were into them. I knew they wouldn't hold that value.
But there is money to be made in new 'hot' collectables.
They may be worthless in 10 years. But right now, some can bring you a great return on your investment. As long as you don't miss your window and hold it too long.

Back when I was realy into collecting comics. I used to trade dealers my newer 'hot' issues. You know, the ones that suddenly became popular, and everyone and their brother suddenly wanted it. I would trade those for the older comics I wanted for my collection. Stuff like the old House of Mystery, early Defenders, etc. I'd trade one newer comic for 10-15 older comics. Then in a couple years, if I really wanted that one back, I could usually find it again for a couple of bucks.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Tay666, I can relate. I did the same. I had a Harbinger #1 and the local comics store gave me 100.00 in credit for it. It wasn't hot for long. So, it was a bit of luck, that I cashed in. Many of us learned these things over the years. The stuff on ebay always pops up when a kit that has not been re-released is finally done. Can't blame them. The original kit mentality will always bring the original back up a bit, in time.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts