Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since the early Eighties, I've loved this vehicle. It's second only to the Classic Viper for me in design awesomeness. Over the years I've drawn it, made my own blueprints, gathered photos, even dashed out a quick kitbash based on a small stealth plane kit

but I've never made an accurate model.

I'm kinda wanting the Anigrand kit
http://www.anigrand.com/AA6014_Mig-31.htm
because no super-accurate styrene one is available. And yeah, I hear it needs work.

So, if anyone here has a Firefox to show off, I'd be fascinated, and so would others, I'm sure. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,257 Posts
Cool build. I too, have always loved the stealthy design of the Mig from FireFox.

It was a great movie, and would be great remade with modern special effects. I'm not knocking the Eastwood version, but some of the effects could use brushing up. Maybe they can update it like they did to TOS trek.

Sincerely,
Scorp.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe they can update it like they did to TOS trek.
One thing I loved about it was the model work.
Remember the X-Men movies? Their jet looked a LOT like the Firefox, but in all-CGI it comes off a bit flat. Retool the FX in Firefox, and all feel for needing a physical model of it is lost IMO (Ever see "Stealth"?). Spaceships are another matter entirely. We have no personal visual reference for stuff in space at that scale.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm kinda wanting the Anigrand kit
http://www.anigrand.com/AA6014_Mig-31.htm
because no super-accurate styrene one is available. And yeah, I hear it needs work.

So, if anyone here has a Firefox to show off, I'd be fascinated, and so would others, I'm sure. :thumbsup:
If I rember right the Anagrand kit was based on Will Babingtons first Firefox kit so his mistakes are their mistakes.
Will has updated his original kit to make it more like the minature, so you might want to pm him if you have questions.
His board name is Wbnemo1.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
:D

But I put the markings on wrong. :( I followed the incorrect instructions instead of checking.

·
Registered
729 Posts
You are welcome to critique it all ya want :), i dont think you will be able to find anything inaccurate, I invite you to try though :woohoo: granted this is based off the 1/12 miniature, and interior of real plane cockpit instruments mockup by Bendix....10 years worth of research and collaboration made this possible, unfortunately Mr. Adam Leet won't get to see his help finally realized, a shame, as he was a great guy.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10 years worth of research and collaboration made this possible
It looks like it; amazing work there!!!
unfortunately Mr. Adam Leet won't get to see his help finally realized, a shame, as he was a great guy.
I'm sorry for your loss... can you give details about the man? I never heard his name before. All my (limited) research on this design were strictly off images of the Firefox from published photos & (later) internet screen caps.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Looking back, It seems obvious that some one on the movie had some HaveBlue/F-117 info.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
When the film first came out, I refused to believe anything with such sharp angles could be stealthy. Showed how much I knew. :lol:

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Yeah, they had some knowledge of secret stuff. The Air Force must have crapped themselves.

The book described ' a bubble canopy, with two giant intakes right behind the pilot, and a reflective coating'. Basically a Super-Mig25.

That Durk Pearson had friends all over and hung out with Eastwood at the time. He might have been told stuff.

http://www.milto.net/egg-planes/firefox-mig-31.php

1 - 20 of 50 Posts