Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First I tried a Tyco 440X-2 chassis with sponge tires, but that transmitted vibrations to the camera. The video that I posted used a Viper Jet chassis. I used a length of Scotch mounting strip to hold the camera in place. The camera and bare chassis both weighed 16.3 grams.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Really cool.

How about a dedicated 'Camera Car'? Use a 'flag' type guide pin, and a post running up from it to the camera mount so the camera turns with the car ;)

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am not sure that such an arrangement would be worth the effort. As it is the camera is looking in the direction that the car is pointed. If there was a tiny driver in the car he would probably be looking towards the inside of the turns, however the camera weighs the same as the car and mounting it so that it swivels would be tricky. A bigger issue is running the car slow enough that everything is not a blur. I turned down the voltage and ran the car as slow as possible. If I had gone any slower the car would tend to stall.
I have a higher resolution camera on the way and I also have a wide angle lens. The lens might be too big to use with an HO car.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
First I tried a Tyco 440X-2 chassis with sponge tires, but that transmitted vibrations to the camera. The video that I posted used a Viper Jet chassis. I used a length of Scotch mounting strip to hold the camera in place. The camera and bare chassis both weighed 16.3 grams.
You "Used" a Bottle of "SCOTCH" (???) :drunk::eek:

Pete :grin2:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the new camera yesterday, it is much more sophisticated than the first camera. The new camera has IR illuminators for close range night vision, interval picture taking and motion detection video recording. The instructions are better than the ones that came with the first camera, but they are printed in the smallest font that I have ever seen, I almost need to use a magnifier to read them. To make things easier I scanned the instructions at 600dpi and dropped them into Word. I saved the Word document as a PDF and I can send that to anyone that is interested. Like the first recorder there is no internal memory, you must add a SD card, that is not mentioned directly in the directions. The recorder has red and blue indicator lights, but those are located on the side where they are harder to see. The unit does vibrate when any control is activated however. The recorder is rather heavy, it has a metal case and weighs in at 42 grams. I will try to do a driver's eye video of my HO track later today and I also wanted to determine the file size of a recording. With the older camera a 2 minute recording used up 100 M of space, with the new one 2 minutes takes up 344 M.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts