Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the three wheel wells on the #3 binz, just below quarter panel line, about even with quarter panel and above quarter panel.

#36 opel diplomat, flat firewall with short transmission and recessed firewall with long transmission

#66 greyhound, low tail lights with shorter back window and high tail lights with longer back window

#15 volkswagen, thick and thin numbers on doors

#38 honda trailer, tow support angled and straight

#72 jeep, rivet/brace under hood, short and long

#2 mercedes trailer, braces around pat app and no braces. different locations of pat app.

uneven bottom rails of trailer, above the d in made and below the e in mercedes

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The Grayhound variation is really neat and is easy to spot now that you have shown us,will be well known in future.
All of the expense of converting the 1-75 series baseplates to accept skinny superfast wheels and then a few months later altering many body castings to accept fat superfast wheels must have chewed up profits and delayed new models for a year or two.I read in an interview once that Jack Odell had not wanted to convert trucks and models soon to be deleted to SF but was over ruled by the rest of the board of directors desperate to win sales as Hotwheels flooded the market.The transitional variation would therefore be much fewer if wise Jack´s view had prevailed.
As a 6 year old when I received a SF track with a dark blue skinny wheel 14 Iso I can say that these early SF cars ran well enough on the track - my problem was when I accidentally trod on a car the axle or both axles would buckle and that was the end of rolling for that car.SF were faster but my Corgi juniors didnt get buckled wheels!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when you got tired of looking for base plate variations on the bus you had to look for something :)
it was always fun to see if the casting variations that people noted with the regular wheel models would appeared on the superfast version of the model (like the 66bus).

that is some great info about transitional models. there is something i really like about the late sixties to the early seventies models :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I guess that we are both the right age to have enjoyed transitional superfast as children - the fact that these small cars gave us pure joy at the most impressionable time of life is probably why they still give us joy in our more cynical maturity - like icecream! With hindsight lesney could have sold more of each casting if they had offered more different colors, the way Hotwheels does today - we can have a black,yellow ,red ,silver or orange 2005 Mustang for our collections but who wants 5 orange ones that are identical..........this is where Brazilian,Bulgarian and Hungarian matchbox stir my interest -familiar castings in very color of the rainbow -but expensive and hard to find.
Back in 1968 Hotwheels produced each casting in each color but while Lesney went for the speedwheels concept they rejected the all colors on all castings philosophy -I wonder why they thought choosing the best color was good enough.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts