Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am actualling working on two Eagle kits - The first is the Warp Eagle One kit, and the second is the Ertl Kit along with the James Small Accuracy kit. I started out by opening up the cages and have half of them done. I've been using a pin vise and Xacto...

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Nice job! Those turned out better than mine did on the first pass.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have some sanding left to do on them. At this point all I have done is cut and shape with the Xacto and then sealed it all with a little Tenax. I was planning on copying the greeblies from the Warp kit but it doesn't look like that will work so I will have to build up something on my own and cast copies of it. Once I get that far I will post some pictures....

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
225 Posts
So far looking good! I have the James Small Authentication set as well and two years later I'm still not done opening up those cages. I completely forgot that I had put that kit away so I could recover from that task.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Keep in mind that the side pods on the filming models aren't mounted in the center of the cage where the sockets are in the Ertl model. The side pods are mounted slightly closer towards the passenger pod - the forward pods slightly aft and the rearward pods slightly forward.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See I even got more done since last night. In this picture notice some of the replacement panels that will be installed to replace the stock panels. Also notice the assembled cages.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
Yeah, but who's gonna notice... :rolleyes: Kidding! Just Kidding! Sheesh!

BTW rossjr, clean work! Please post pics when it's complete!
Jim Small wrote an article in Sci-Fi & Fantasy Models #39 about how to accurize the AMT/Ertl Eagle kit, and he describes how the pods have to be repositioned. Not a hard modification, and if you want to use the cages as they are, great.

Also, on Jim's web site is a great article about how one of the SFX Eagle models was disassembled and refurbished, with plenty of pictures. This is a must-read if you are building the Eagle. Check it out!

http://www.smallartworks.ca/Articles/Restoration/Restore1.html

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey thanks for the links! I was hoping to get some good pictures of the greeblies behind the tubing.... It's probably too late to move the pods though, I already started cutting apart the aft module to incorporate the resin parts, but I will take another look, again the pictures show how far off the are....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just thought I would post another update....

Here is a picture with all the parts that will be going into the cages. Notice the one underway...

This is a close up of the otherside of the piece underway...

And finally this will give you an idea of the space I will have to fill with sheet styrene and some greeblies. I have some reference shots and will soon have the Replica Unlimited Eagle for reference.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A long time ago, ok about 5 years ago, I was going to build this up with a complete interior. I went as far as opening up the nose windows and starting a rough interior complete with resin ejector seats....

I ended up building it stock and I am now working on the same kit with Small's accuracy kit.

I am getting excited because my RU Eagle should be arriving today!!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So this weekend I started to build up the inside of the walkways. I used sheet styrene, tips of missles and a resistor... This picture should give you an idea of the finished product and all the parts, kind of a before and after...

Finally, my Replica Unlimited kit should up on Friday. WOW! Here are a couple of pictures to let you know how many pieces and how big!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Man that is one BIG eagle! I'd never get that past the wife, I can sneak something new & small onto the shelves occasionally, but that.....

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
It's easy to sneak it past her, just put it in a bigger box.....:)

Sorry this is late but I did get some work done this weekend...

The two are a comparison of a completed conversion versus a OOB

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thought I would share my progress over the weekend. I completed the Command Module Walkway Pod.

I just laid a few things out to see how they would look, I need to Thin out the spine, build up the landing pods and of course the engines. I found the article on SSM for doing the articulate landing gear and will be trying that out....

·
Starship Class
11,820 Posts
Looking great! I'll have to refer to your photos when scratchbuilding some details. Excellent work!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Rossjr, how's your Eagle coming? I'm presently building 2 styrene boxes to fit between the cages (I'm not using any garage kits, plane old scratchbuilding).

Steph

1 - 20 of 28 Posts