Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I 'accurized' my big old 80's MPC Falcon model that I'd made back in the day as well as I could, and it wasn't easy, but it looked markedly better for it. A few months later I made a 'Rise Of Skywalker' 1:144 Bandai kit into an ESB/ROTJ Falcon, which was actually more work, but it turned out GREAT. Now, I'm looking forward to the Round 2 1:72 accurized re-issue for my final Falcon. Gonna make it the ESB/ROTJ one with sheet styrene for forward side landing gear boxes. Why not just get the Perfect Grade Bandai or the Fine Molds kit you ask? The former is stupid expensive, and the latter is of the 32" stunt Falcon, which I like a tiny bit less than the five footer.
Anyone else drooling, or is it just me? 馃槢
White Fashion Textile Art Wood

Registered
That model always bugged me, I am by no means a rivet counter and I was happy with how the model looked except for the too tall and inaccurate sidewalls. I built one back in the early 1980's but was never happy with it because of that one issue. I bought a boxed ROTJ version a few years ago for next to nothing off of ebay and it is still in my closet untouched, I may get one of these and see how that one looks.

Starship Class
I've never built it. I had the kit for a while but sold/traded it. The ones I've seen built up that cut down the sidewalls look really good though. Some have even jazzed up the greeblies to make it more accurate. I never want to work that hard on it.

Curmudgeon
I think I still have the "too tall" MPC kit around here somewhere, unbuilt. I also have the first release of the Fine Molds 1/72 scale kit with the 200+ part count, and their 1/144 scale kit as well, also unbuilt. The Falcon is one of my favorite kits from the Star Wars universe, but I've never built even one kit. Getting all of that weathering to look "right" is a daunting thought, and even though I've been building models since 1969 I'm not sure I'm up to the task.

Starship Class
I think I still have the "too tall" MPC kit around here somewhere, unbuilt. I also have the first release of the Fine Molds 1/72 scale kit with the 200+ part count, and their 1/144 scale kit as well, also unbuilt. The Falcon is one of my favorite kits from the Star Wars universe, but I've never built even one kit. Getting all of that weathering to look "right" is a daunting thought, and even though I've been building models since 1969 I'm not sure I'm up to the task.
The good news is that the weathering can cover a myriad of mistakes and, if using the right methods, the weathering can be wiped off and done again if you didn't get it right the first time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts