Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am up to 11 of this casting with the recent addition of the single blister yellow one and the 5-pack silverish-blue.

I used to do OK at MBX's little codes, but these aren't coming to me...any help?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Probably intials and maybe birthday of somebody on the Mattel team, although both are also genuine British numberplates from c1960, one Surrey, the other Cambridge.
But you didnt show the gold Best of British car - are you still looking for that one?

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
"688" is the manufacturer number of this casting. I'm not sure what the letters stand for. Whenever you see 3-digit numbers tampo'd on the vehicle, it's usually the manufacturer number worked in as part of the livery or deco design.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Probably intials and maybe birthday of somebody on the Mattel team, although both are also genuine British numberplates from c1960, one Surrey, the other Cambridge.
But you didnt show the gold Best of British car - are you still looking for that one?
Yes, would love to find one but that stuff never gets stocked here (Maine).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some of the older ones that prompted my question...these were easy to figure out. Apparently the new ones are not the same idea.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Yeah, they were easy to decode. For those that don't know, you replace the numbers with corresponding letters in the alphabet and/or vice versa. The green one spells "classic" 3=c, 12=l, 1=a + "SS", 9=i, 3=c.

SMS, on the new ones, do you mean that the "JPC" and "JER" preceding the manufacturer number refer to the location in England?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Yeah, they were easy to decode. For those that don't know, you replace the numbers with corresponding letters in the alphabet and/or vice versa. The green one spells "classic" 3=c, 12=l, 1=a + "SS", 9=i, 3=c.

SMS, on the new ones, do you mean that the "JPC" and "JER" preceding the manufacturer number refer to the location in England?
Yes I do. It could just be a coincidence with initials, but those are genuine UK plates from c1960, all *ER plates originate in Cambridge and all *PC come from Surrey, and always with numbers from 1 to 999, with a choice of white or silver characters of that size on a black background, and fitted like that on the nose of the Jag

·
Registered
763 Posts
Jeremy Cox is the person who designed these 2 Jaguars. Michael Heralda used to do all the designs, but with so many now, they hired a second person to work with him. "JPC" is Jeremy's initials, and "JER" is the first 3 letters of his name. Then obviously the "688" is the Manufacturing number of the model.

:) :D :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts