Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 590 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got finished testing the new DuraTrax Evader. I have the review finished, you can see it and some videos from the track testing on the main Team RCV site.

If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try and answer them.

[This message has been edited by hankster (edited 12-11-2001).]

S

·
0 Posts
How is it? Does it compare favorably with the T3 for a novice racer? My father-in-law is interested in getting one, and I haven't given him my opinion yet. He races novice at our track with my old RC10 Worlds Car (circa 1995). We'd love to get him one for Christmas, but I don't know how good they are constructed and how reliable the radio gear is. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the review on-line, but you can look at the video to see how it ran. That track has not been run on or preped in over a month and was far from being race ready. IMHO, I'll be changing my recommendations from Traxxas Rustlers to the Evader.

While I didn't abuse it I found it solid, handled super out of the box (that video is bone box stock) and has a ton of value. The design is based heavily on Losi's XXT (even uses Losi wheels) with tons of adjustments if you are racing.

The radio, while it has a DuraTrax name on it, os actually made by Futaba. We all know the quality of Futaba radio gear. No, it's not high end, but it's a solid "sport" model.

While slightly over sprung for racing, it's just about right for backyard bashing.

What I didn't like was the chassis has more flex then I would like to see. The rear suspension/motor plate where it bolts to the chassis is plastic and I'd like to see that metal, but then those plastic parts have a 1 year warranty so it's a trade off.

I think I'll race mine this winter and next summer. It's seems capable enough to me with a few of the hop-ups DuraTrax offers. First would be lighter springs front and rear. Next would be the aluminum motor plate (hopefully that solves the above flex problem) and the front aluminum brace. Maybe a few more "eye candy" things.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the darned thing and it performs much better then Traxxas' Rustler.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm sure most hard core racer types consider Duratrax equipment inferior to Losi Associated and such. However I see them adding a much needed resource to our hobby, fresh blood. Now that we have two very capable entry level companies duking it out for the newbie business the cost of getting started is falling and content and quality are going up.

Our shop has the Evader on backorder. I hope Duratrax can get production up to speed by Christmas. I think we could sell a bunch of them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just bought an Evader ST as my first RC car. It is definately solid. Everyone I have talked to that is into RC says it is built extremely well for a beginner kit. I have ran it on a track once and through the neighborhood a few times. I would recomend it to anyone that is not ready to spend Nitro money.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I got a nice close look at the Evader over at Larry's Performance R/C's in Sterling Heights last Friday night. Looks good to me! there is some fairly significant differences between the Losi XXT and the evader, being a Losi man and running several different XXT's over time, the changes I saw were actually improvements over Losi's original design. The material it's made of looks different and it almost looks like an Associated Stealth tranny grafted on there. Is it Hank?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, I had my first problem with the truck. I was at my local dirt track and I went over a double jump, while driving the track backwards , and I hit the piece of plywood that supports the side of the first jump. I broke the inside tie rod end on the right side. So, I replaced all the ends with RPM Neon Yellow ends. It makes the truck look even better. I would suggest anybody buying an Evader, also get a set of 90 degree bent Hood Pins the factory ones are hard to get a hold of, especially the one on the battery holder. So far I love the truck!

Y

·
0 Posts
I was wondering does it say aney where in the instructions, About the lowest turn motor that the truck can handel?

·
Registered
121 Posts
TRX1,

I've had my Evader for a couple of weeks now. Stock tires are no good on loose sand over hard clay. I put a set of BowTie T's on the rear and a set of "The Edge" on the front. Also I have had problems with my servo saver. I have had 3 servo arms snap within 15 minutes of track time. Maybe It's just my luck, but thought I would give you a heads up. Overall I love
the truck

T

·
0 Posts
well, deena finally got to run her new truck, and for her it seems to fast.. i think it runs ok. defently change thr rears for racing. it has ALOT of losi/AE design into it, sould be a strong contender in the fun truck class :) will try putting my foams on it, see what happens.

T

·
0 Posts
i just wonder what all will void the warrenty on this truck... want to run foams on it, but not sure if that would do it or not

T

·
0 Posts
I have raced mine twice now. I have added a lot of stuff to it, its far from stock. If you want to see some of the things that can be done to it check out www.trick-parts.com/rob.htm for some pics and information.

1 - 20 of 590 Posts