Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just scored the Revell Dune Sandcrawler kit on evilbay for a paltry $22.
I've seen plenty of buid-ups of the Ornithopter but never this one.
Anybody here built one or know of any pics anywhere?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I have not but I would like to see the parts lay out....can ya post any pics?

XTC has a song tittled 'Miniature sun' any coincidence?

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Only certian stores recieved the DUNE kits...they were basically a Revell of Germany product. Some have told me that after NO or LOW SALES they saw them on clear out sales at 3.00 dollar or so prices :eek: (again a real need for that Time machine ) :rolleyes:

Have to admit....during the seventies and Eighties before the net I never knew of an interesting Sci-Fi kit untill I was at the right store at the right time.....seems like very few 'HOBBY SHOPS' invested in sci-fi kits.

Back then did Starlog and other magazines like that advertise model kits?

Just think....go back to 1968 or 1970... buy BOXES of Aurora kits, come back and retire on eebay sales! Heck you can do that on the Moonbus alone! :p

·
Registered
607 Posts
Those were the only three official kits released. There are a few other garage kits out there of the worm, Atreides, the Baron, and Feyd.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't ever recall seeing these kits around the time of the films release which is odd as I practically lived in my local hobby shop at the time.Of the three kits the Ornithopter is probably the best(given that I've not yet received the Sandcrawler!).

The Ornithopter is stated as 1/35th but looks to me more like 1/48th judging by the size of the seats. It has a full cockpit interior and some very fine detail inside and out.Sadly there are no figures included.I'm in the process of gathering references before I build mine.

The Sandworm is a bit hit and miss. The open mouth part is well done but the body is moulded in so many segments that it would be a nightmare for seams and looks like it would need a lot of work to make it believable. It includes a number of tiny Fremen figures to ride on its back and judging by the size of these I'd put the scale around the 1/300 mark. I just sold my copy on the bay since I wasnt convinced I could make it less toy-like.It seems to be the most abundant of the three kits.

I'll post some pics of the Sandcrawler parts as soon as it arrives.

Oh and yes...the reference is from XTC Fluke...well spotted.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Especially for Fluke, and anyone else who might be interested, here is the parts layout for the Sandcrawler...

The kit is molded in a chocolate brown plastic with a tinted canopy. First impressions are favourable...the detail on the exterior is well executed, particularly the wheels.
The cockpit is fairly well done but could benefit from some extra detail and a crew...scale looks to be around 1/35th.
Theres scope to add more detail around the canopy as the boxtop shows lots of bolts around the frames where the kit parts are smooth.
I dont recall this vehicle from the movie and was half expecting the Spice Harvester instead but I'm pleased with it nonetheless.
I'll try and post some in-progress shots of this and the Ornithopter once I get started on them.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Of the three kits, the Ornithopter was about the only one that was a) buildable and b) accurate. I never saw this Sand Crawler in the movie and the Worm was pretty unbuildable (although I still have the little figures!).

I still have my Harkonnen Ornithopter although it's a little beat up. Based on the cockpit steps provided and the interior, I estimated the scale at 1/72. 1/48th figures would never get through the door.

The Revell subjects were a major disappointment considering the more interesting hardware depicted in the movie.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts