Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished the aztek paint pattern or he saucer sections of my 2nd PL350 BUT my first attempt with the aztek,i know what the A/D instructions say to do but i've read alot of different posts, should the next step be a dull coat or a gloss coat? have read other psots that one or the other would ruin the effect. If it is a dull coat then we know decals work better with a gloss.
i am used gray primer, testors flat white then the Tamiya Peral White.I am wanting to finsih decals before moving onto the next section.Gloss and Dull coat in which order?? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Water-soluable decals historically adhere better to gloss than to flats.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
If I understand you correctly, Rob, what Seaview says is the way to go. Put down your flat white, then your aztec templates for the pearl white. Cover that with a clear gloss coat - you can use Future Floor Wax instead of clear gloss paint, BTW - then put your decals down on top of that. Seal the decals w/your cover of choice - I'd recommend a flat clear coat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it as i suspected and double checked some other notes.Decals done i can now move onto the next section,this build will be an attempt with SOME lights NOTHING close to Raytheon,Rel,Rast,or anyone else's Great works here but you gotta get your feet wet sometime. keeping my fingers crossed, it helps being on vacation this week.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
If you feel lucky, after you seal the decals with a clear flat coat, you can drag out the aztec templates again and spray a satin (semigloss) coat in an aztec pattern. It's up to you, and would bear testing on scrap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seaview said:
Water-soluable decals historically adhere better to gloss than to flats.
That was a diplomatic response if I've ever seen one. Decals will not adhere to dull surfaces at all. Silvering will occur, guaranteed.

-Shawn

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
CaptainHawk1 said:
That was a diplomatic response if I've ever seen one. Decals will not adhere to dull surfaces at all.
Sorry to say, but you're wrong here. I've gotten decals to adhere directly to unpainted/unprimered models, as well as dullcoated models - all well before I knew that I had to seal the decals w/some sort of clear cover.

The decals all came off, of course, but will initially adhere. That's the case if you put them on a gloss coat, tho, and don't seal them.
Silvering will occur, guaranteed.
That's a fact if you don't put them on correctly. I recommend using some sort of decal setting solution to help reduce silvering.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yep, agree Griff, you can get them to adhere to matt surfaces, although the longevity of the decal is indeed at risk. if you need to do it, using demin water seems to help avoid silvering, then apply the decal with setting solutions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Griffworks said:
Sorry to say, but you're wrong here. I've gotten decals to adhere directly to unpainted/unprimered models, as well as dullcoated models - all well before I knew that I had to seal the decals w/some sort of clear cover.

The decals all came off, of course, but will initially adhere. That's the case if you put them on a gloss coat, tho, and don't seal them.

That's a fact if you don't put them on correctly. I recommend using some sort of decal setting solution to help reduce silvering.
You are absolutely correct as I did the same thing before before I knew anybetter. Allow me to correct the previous statement: they'll adhere, they'll just never adhere well or completely. You can never completely get rid of the gaps and even if you don't notice them, they are there.

-Shawn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts