Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
These are the IDEAL Dukes of Hazzard cars from the early 80's.It is the General Lee & the Boss Hogg car (Late 70's Chevy Nova Police car)They are on a slotted chassis but I think it was designed by Francis Ford Crappola !What a crappy design, even Fartin Artin put them to shame ! Notice I had to replace the original rear tires & wheels with AFX/specialty to get any real traction.It would really be better to remount them on a Tyco 440 X2 chassis.
It says copyright Ideal Toy Corp. 1981 on the bottom of the chassis.
I think these were also sold with the IDEAL TCR slotless chassis in the late 70's/early 80's.

Neal :dude:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Dont sell the Ideal chassis short. I have a few that have real smooth gears and run great. Tires arent a problem. Bud's HO has a nice tall profile silicone for AFX that works, or Supertires AFX .490's will work also.

On those with crappy gears, Ive swapped the rear axles and pinions out for lifelike parts and used Matchbox rims all around since the hubs fit right on. OR, you could keep the lifelike rear hubs and get those extra tall tyco drag tires made by PVT. Either way, Ideals are great fun to slide thru the turns, but could use a little weight up front.

·
Tyco & Mopar Freak!
4,913 Posts
volvo1:1 said:
These are the IDEAL Dukes of Hazzard cars from the early 80's.It is the General Lee & the Boss Hogg car (Late 70's Chevy Nova Police car)They are on a slotted chassis but I think it was designed by Francis Ford Crappola !What a crappy design, even Fartin Artin put them to shame ! Notice I had to replace the original rear tires & wheels with AFX/specialty to get any real traction.It would really be better to remount them on a Tyco 440 X2 chassis.
It says copyright Ideal Toy Corp. 1981 on the bottom of the chassis.
I think these were also sold with the IDEAL TCR slotless chassis in the late 70's/early 80's.

Neal :dude:
i have one that fit on tyco 440x2 chassis. runs nice!!

Wes

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
I think the Ideal body is a tiny bit nicer then the AW version. I like keeping the Ideal version on it's original chassis, not every car in my collection has to be a racer. I like the different chassis styles, as each offers something alittle different to the hobby. I just slapped on some AFX tires and I was fish tailing through the turns as if the the General was on a dirt road in Hazzard County.

You could always glue on a rare earth dot magnet to the bottom of the chassis if you want magna traction

·
Registered
618 Posts
As VJ does, I personally have kept mine stock too (only new rear tires). I still need to find a side mirror for the Charger by the way. I like to run both of them agianst or even with the K2000 from Ideal too

1 - 6 of 6 Posts