Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure if this counts in this forum, if not I apologize. I just had to let everyone know I got one of these and it is FANTASTIC!!! I was expected to like it, but I was blown away with its features. It lights up just like in the movie, and has the same sound effects. One thing to note it DOES NOT have voice, only sound effects (which I was very pleased about). The overload feature is also very cool. Now I want the EE excluisive TMP version. This was not my favorite phaser, but if DST continues this quality, the ST III or ST VI phasers will rock!

I will try and post a video soon of its functions.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
That is great news! I too hate the stupid voice features no matter what they are used with.
What is the exclusive feature in the EE version?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I think the exclusive feature in the EE version is it's the Phaser from ST:TMP, not the altered version presented in TWOK.

Glad it actually shipped! Diamond has had some real problems with that, getting the product to the stores.

So the overload feature works like the prototype? press all 4 settings at once and it starts to build to overload?

How does the 'type 1' latch onto the rest? I knew 'back in the day' it was designed but I could never figure out where the latch release was in that sleek, soft design.

(pics not movies please. contrary to popular belief not everyone has broadband :) )

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I think the exclusive feature in the EE version is it's the Phaser from ST:TMP, not the altered version presented in TWOK.
What was altered? They looked pretty much identical to me (of course the only close-up of it was in TWoK).

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay here is my Youtube video of the toy. Sorry for the quality, I am still learning how to post videos on this site. The toy is not this squatty looking. I was trying to compress the file to send to Youtube so the picture is compressed making the phaser look short and fat. However, this will give you an idea how it works. The phaser 1 is held on by a connection plug in the back and a magnet inside the unit (probably similar to the their Enterpise D saucer connection), which activates the power up sound.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That is great news! I too hate the stupid voice features no matter what they are used with.
What is the exclusive feature in the EE version?

Different paint job (more a light blue or grey than a silver like this one is). The knob on the tirgger is not there, and it has different sound effects. This was per DST's response when I asked. Another difference is TWOK control LEDs are all white ... no color. TMP prototype from DST has multicolor LEDs for the settings buttons. (See attached picture of prototype).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the overload feature works like the prototype? press all 4 settings at once and it starts to build to overload?
Not quite the same. You hold down the trigger buttons on the phaser 1 portion and the setting button at the same time for 5 seconds to arm it. All lights come on and are steady when armed. You press the phaser 1 or 2 trigger to begin a countdown to overload.

How does the 'type 1' latch onto the rest? I knew 'back in the day' it was designed but I could never figure out where the latch release was in that sleek, soft design.
There is a pin connector on the back of the phaser two and there is a heavy duty magnet inside the unit (probably similar to their Enterprise D saucer connection). You just slide the phaser 1 into the phaser 2 and the magnet is pretty strong to hold it in place.

(pics not movies please. contrary to popular belief not everyone has broadband :) )
I posted on Youtube. If you still want pictures I can try and get some for you. I can scan and post the instructions page if this is allowed.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
What was altered? They looked pretty much identical to me (of course the only close-up of it was in TWoK).

Off the top of my head, it's a different color, there's a knob on the front of the trigger that wasn't there in TMP, and some kind of pattern was glued in between the molded stripes on the body. Pictures I've seen seem to indicate the deco on the top is changed but there's no rational reason they would have done that...well, I take that back, if they painted the Phaser they probably would have had to replace the deco for the controls, so.

The philosophy between the two movies is somewhat stated by these changes. Roddenberry wanted everything, EVERYTHING in ST:TMP to be seamless, smooth, rounded, plastic. Soft edges and muted colors. The trigger on the Phaser was meant to be not really visable, just blended into the body. TWOK wanted nuts, bolts, buttons, chipped paint and all that (I will never forgive them for that inane GIANT ALUMINUM BRICK COMMUNICATOR that Kirk whipped out), so you needed a visual cue that there WAS a trigger hence the button bump.

For me, I preferred the TMP version, but then again I have a love for that movie that many find confusing. :)

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Thank you for the info, Opus! I'm sure the posting would be allowed and others may ask for them but there's no need on my account, I have a pretty good mental picture now.

Interesting on the overload feature. That seems pretty much in line with the intent as I recall Brick Price talking about it way way back in the day. I just keep thinking about McCoy in the Transporter Room setting his Phaser and he triggers the self-destruct! Watch for it next time you watch TWOK :)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
(I will never forgive them for that inane GIANT ALUMINUM BRICK COMMUNICATOR that Kirk whipped out), so you needed a visual cue that there WAS a trigger hence the button bump.

Oh ... then you're gonna love the fact that DST is releasing TWOK communicator later this year (note playful sarcasm) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Oh ... then you're gonna love the fact that DST is releasing TWOK communicator later this year (note playful sarcasm) :)
What? WHAT?! Oh god in heaven, what the heck...

I mean, OK, as a completest I groove they're doing that. I do. But there's nothing else they can DO with it to reduce the tooling costs by making variations.

Tricorders, Phasers they've been able to spread out the development costs with the variations. Granted, the Phaser repaints got silly after a bit but nobody argues that we didn't need both the Science and Medical Classic Trek Tricorders. (the cheapout of deleting the motor in the medical scanner notwithstanding)

(and please don't mistake my ranting for anger at you Opus, I'm just venting. I THANK you for posting this info!)

Even with the TMP Phaser and it's TWOK variation, that spreads out the costs.

Whadda they gonna DO with this brick? Nobody loves it! They'll be LUCKY to move 1000 units! And will they used that as an excuse to say "
Oh, ST props are dead now, we won't do anything else" (and they're looking for excuses. See how they've sabotaged the figure line for DS9).

Cripes, if they're gonna do this thing they damn well better do the TMP Tricorder. That was slick.

What they should have done next is a TNG Tricorder. that gives you a body that can be added to and re-deco'ed several times.

*sigh* Dammit. I hate this communicator but now I want it! DAMMIT! :)

(huh, my addition vanished. Anyway, please don't mistake my venting as anger, Opus, I am thankful for your posting this! I just don't keep up on these things anymore, too much data spread out in too many places to keep track of anymore. :) )

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
I agree the TWoK Communicator is a complete waste of material.
I would like to see what they could do with the TNG Tricorder. I have a couple of the Playmates versions and refitted them with better lighting tricks- they are nice but can be improved still.
I really like the Voyager Style Tricorder- more bling lights and more agressive styling- makes the TNG one look like a bar of soap.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TWOK communicator is the least of my favorite too, but I do plan on getting one. I will ask DST about TMP tricorder. I would love to see that too.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One thing I do hope with TWOK communicator is that the light bar on the bottom flashes with voice/speach pattern when you talk into it like it did in the movie.

·
Registered
571 Posts
and some kind of pattern was glued in between the molded stripes on the body.
The pattern was actually holographic/prism tape; similar to what came with the AMT 'smoothie' Ent.

Oh and be glad we got the brick communicator, the original prop was to be a WWII era walkie-talkie! :freak:

The propmaster on TWOK was so against the idea of such a thing he scratch built a couple of electrical boxes into comms in no time flat, gotta love Hollywoodland.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am very happy with my DST TWOK Phaser. It is the best prop replica that DST has come out with. I am waiting for the TMP Phaser and for preorder release of the TWOK Communicator. DST should also come out with the Tricorder as well, I hope;). They should do this with all the movies. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'd love to see TMP and Khan tricorders (although the Khan tricorder is probably too big--with that big handle it's two or three times the size of the TOS tricorder).

I got the Khan phaser and it's fantastic, but it has one problem. I love the way the magnet holds the hand phaser to the pistol, especially the sound effect there. But the one I have is VERY finicky about how the join makes whatever connection lights the big circular power button on the back of the phaser. It usually flickers off and I have to twist and fiddle with the set of the hand phaser in the cradle to get it to light again. It's annoying because that light is one of the coolest elements of the weapon's look. Overall it's fantastic though--it's amazing that this toy does everything the original prop does when the prop cost thousands of dollars to construct.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts