Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realize this may not be the right spot to post this question but please help me out. I am finishing up a set of DS9 refernce CDs.

Here is the breakdown:
Disks 1 and 2 - 9,200 pictures from seasons 1-7 of the show. Interior and exterior shots of the runabout. Exterior of every other ship seen in the show. There are also interior shots of the launch bays for the runabouts.

Disk 3 - (still working on this) - assorted pictures from the net (blueprints, logos, ect.) and wmv video files (possibly 720x640). As much as I can put on it.

Disk 4 - (still working on this) - Same video files from Disk 3, only as a DVD

The video files are edited to show clips of the station, defiant, the runabout (interior and exterior) and major battles. There is NO AUDIO. I will post a sample clip in about a week (this will be much smaller than the ones on the disk).

So here are the questions
1. Should the DVD be + or -? I know most players will play -.
2. How much should I charge as trade value? It is a 4 disk set - 3 CDs, 1 DVD all will be lightscribed. Disks 1-3 will show the station, a runabout, and the defiant. Disk 4 will show a sketch possibly from Far Beyond the Stars

And finally -
3. Who is interested? Just so I can get enough disks to begin with.

I also have sets of Enterprise Reference CDs available - 2 disks, over 4,000 pictures.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I'm definitely interested, but as to how much to charge.... that's a different question given who holds the copyright on the images you'd be distributing... :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Dr. Brad - That is why I would prefer to do a "fair" trade for the disks. But what would be fair? I understand the difficulties when it comes to a certian company and how they feel about it. I want to keep it a trade with no cash chaning hands, but I would consider credit on modeling sites (Federation Models, ect.). Try to keep it a "trade".

Here is an idea of how much time I have into this set - I had to watch all 176 episodes of the series. Some took only the 44 minutes, others took over an hour (minimum 129 hours). After the pictures were captured I had to go back and convert from bmp to jpg. So far I have spent over 5 hours working on the video files and I am nearly done with Season 3. I should finish the show by the end of next week.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'd be intrested. Will there be reference of the Cardassian Galor class warship, Romulan Warbird and the Jem Hadar fighter?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
actias - I have actual photos and a video clip of the studio model of the Galor. There are photos of the Warbird and the Jem Hadar. Since they are in the final battle there will videos of them in action.

Here is one of the video files:
http://www.homeworld-defense.com/WayOfTheWarrior.wmv
Note - This video is reduced by 50% to 320x240. It is nearly an 11meg file.

The clip shows everything from Way of the Warrior - including the behind the scenes sketches of the new weapons pods.

Season 4 is finished. I have started season 5.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Note: I reworded my comments above - I AM NOT SELLING these disks, they are for trade only. I am putting together my wish list of models, movies and more, it will be linked when I am done.

I am will finish season 5 today. And should start season 6 tonight.

·
Starship Class
11,656 Posts
Legally, any sort of trade or barter could be considered "profit" so you can't really get away from or around the copyright infringements involved. Even if you're distributing the images/clips free, you're still infringing on copyright.

I'm not meaning to be a naysayer. Just realize what exactly you're doing if you're going to do it.

Check out this site:

http://www.copyright.gov/

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So what can I do? I am not alone in wanting a good refernce source, which is what these disks are. I am willing to share them but I don't want a ton of legal trouble, at the same time I can't do it for free. That is why I am willing to trade for them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts