Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent a fortune on gas,stopped at about 50 stores,and what did I score you might say?NOT A FREAKIN THING,and 80% of the stores had new stuff on the rack,that was not there yesterday or last night.BAD LUCK?MAYBE!I know most of the collectors in the area,and nobody else got anything either.But proof of 6 employees scoring was apparent. IF I GOT A JOB AT ANY RETAIL STORE,I WONDER HOW MANY PEOPLE I WOULD HAVE TO FIGHT TO GET ANYTHING.AND WOULD I TELL ANYONE?YEA I WOULD!WELL ENOUGH OF GRIPING.ALL THE NON EMPLOYEES THAT GOT WHITES THIS WEEK!RIGHT-ON!!One might say I have a problem with employees.ABSOLUTELY!!!!!Please give me your feedback.I would like to know what other's feel about the subject.If the subject offends you,oh well.This is a discussion board.And this is my pet gripe of the day.

·
Registered
7,341 Posts
I think alot of people think the same way about some employees.. so that's ok.
since this is a gripe post, my comment is.. feel almost sorry for the silly people that post "drove 100 or 200 miles today"... or "went to WalMart at 2am..."..
I think times change and peoples time and the cost of gas are much more valuable than any little cars we find nowadays. just another opinion.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
It's rare that I find a WL anymore. I'm not complaining, it just isn't meant to be. I've waited for the doors of a store to open with several other collectors waiting outside with me. Here we go...... a few run into the store to the diecast asile. Some bring their kids as blockers to slow down your fast walk so you have to go around them. If you make it to the pegs, you might be two deep.

I've already been to the diecast pegs first only to have a late comer to the pegs pick a WL off the peg before I had a chance to get it. Some of these marathon people are real pros. At one time I got upset, not so anymore.

I could find a WL 6-8 years ago hanging on a peg when the stock was put out days before. It's hard for me to find a WL now if I'm there when the store opens.

Buying from OLD, members on HT (or trading), the 'Bay, and local diecast meets or shows seem to make more sense now.

Another thing that you may try is to call your friends and tell them that you will be at TRU, K-MART, etc. when it opens and to bring trading material. I've done this over the years in the parking lot of the store. It's like having a weekly diecast meet!

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
P.S. Dragboater, they're only toys. Cheer up, you'l get lucky if you do that much hunting.

Have a GREAT WEEKEND!............STUTZ

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NYSW=where do you get the cases-I would like to purchase them straight from Preying Mantis-but cannot find out any info-a word my way would be helpfull-if you please?Stitz=2 days this month,one might say that is a lot of hunting,I would not.I do not do the morning thing for much of the same reasons as you state.And hunt any other time as well,but I am gratefull for the little time I di get to hunt for my hobby.Mr.Pablodragon=why would you want to call me a silly person for my post?Sound like you might be one of them thar employees.Maybe I am wrong,but hey if you arent,you might be a little on the [SILLY PERSON] side yourself.Or maybe just an idiological panderer of post remarks.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Just my 2 cents if an employee buys something for him or her self it does suck a little but thats the perks of the job they don't make alot of $$$ but if they sell it or hold it 4 someone else 2 sell it then I have a problem with that. I also made alot of friends at stores over the years and that helps a little got a few whites and hunts, had on fried at a TRU that would give me a case IF IT COULD GO ON THE PEGS but he got fired by one of the managers and now every caes comes 2 the floor open wonder why:mad: . But i also do alot of driving and waste alot of gas and time and have gone through at least 7 or 8 cases in three weeks and got nothing.:cry:

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perks of the job by no means makes it fair for the average collector.If they would like to make more money,get a better job.By some of the other remarks,'like they are just toys',and other bias remarks.Easily said, when they are probably on the receiving end of such practices.If those certain individuals,really had to look hard for something,ya know,the shoe on the other foot.Maybe or maybe not,they would see how it feels.And are you a real johnny lightning collector,if the only thing you get are the white lightnings?I have a few white lightnings,but I got over 3,000 johnny lightning cars from the early days till now.this is how it is-employees rape the white lightnings,cause that is where the cash is,say what ya will,it is what it is.Employees can stick their white's,where the sun doesn't shine, as far as I care.Hey I got an idea-if you are a employee,and you sale on the bay or post here,Give your name,whom you sale under,and what store you work at,than lets see what is really fair.Ya know,grow a pair and lets see what happens.My money says no-one will do that,because you employees are cowardly.Thats my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
i hit the road last week and drove about 200 miles myself. i hit up 5 big lots, 7 walmarts, 2 tru, 3 tcs, 1 target and 3 sears and came with a muddy tractor. it was a nice day for a drive and i needed a little "me" time so it wasn't a total loss. it was a friday when most tru and big lots get stocked and still nothing. so far this year, i found 3 newer whites (two were hanging, the other i pulled from a case). none were what i collect but it is better than nothing. i opened about 8 sealed cases and only found 1 white out of all of them. i also know i missed a few as there were 1 car missing from an assortment or series a few times hanging on freshly stocked pegs.

you win some you lose some. i have hit many stores early in the morning in a single day and found nothing. sometimes i hit one store while stopping for something and found a white or t-hunt. you just never know when you are going to come across them. happy hunting!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
I'm fortunate in the sense that I'm already on the road in many different areas. I honestly couldn't justify driving all those extra miles hoping to catch a WL. I've had some luck over the years, and to be honest it usually is just a matter of "guessing" which store is due for a stock order, what nights experience tells you they get put out, and just plain "dumb luck".

I don't crash the doors at any store's opening, I stop in when I'm in their area, and sometimes you get lucky. Most times you don't. And if they have put stuff out but there are no whites, I still love seeing the new series that I've read about here (just the other day I finally got to see those new Rock Art olice drab Cobra's!).

Do employees raid the cases in the back? Do some scalpers have connections or "crash" the doors at opening? Absolutely. But there's not much you can do about it, and sometimes they miss a couple (heck, I scored three big white tired beauties off the pegs in the last month alone that they missed ;) )

Pay a little more attention to how often the stores in your area get JLs in, and what days/nights they put them out. You'll have more success than driving all over creation in a "shotgun" manner. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can sympathize dragboater. I have been collecting JL for 6 years, i have only ever found one white in the wild. Even the local hobby shop, the guy is a schiester and takes the whites and sells them for profit. And to answer your question, i only collect whites and i consider myself a JL collector. But i had to get them all from ebay, which is ok, but not as fun as actually finding one in the wild. my gf works at walgeens, still no luck. oh well.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I should call myself mostly A white lightning buyer collector,but I buy all them johnnies,not just whites,heck-thats all I find-guess I am stuck.It seems the only whites I find are on ebay,and most certaintly have bought from an employee.I just find it hard to beleive that the same guys just walk into a biglots,and everywhere else,and just pull several whites,time and time again, without some kinda help.Maybe I am wrong,or just jealous.I will leave that up to whatever ya think.I know the employees that take stuff in my town,I know it,they know it,heck we hang out at the same places.Maybe I should rat em out,ney I guess some people could call me a complainer,maybe,But I aint no rat!Good luck slow5poh in your hunt.

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Dragboater said:
.I just find it hard to beleive that the same guys just walk into a biglots,and everywhere else,and just pull several whites,time and time again, without some kinda help.
just pay attention on the forums on who`s getting things in.I scored 17 wl`s in 1 week a year or so ago just by watching the forums. Also,look at the hw board also or what people are starting to trade more of.
Find out what days your stores get stuff in.Nothing concrete,but it can help your chances. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Gadzooks N' Egads!!!

The wise thing to do would have been to use the money that
you had spent on gas to buy a moderately priced WL off of E-Pay.
You would have saved a lot of time and frustration had you done
so. By monitoring the WL site, you should have realized that collectors
aren't scoring as many WLs as they used to in the Wild. When you
have a production # of only 5000-10,000 for each series, one cannot
expect to find many WLs or JLs for that matter in your local stores.
If the WLs are at 1 - 2% of the production, you sure won't find as many
when the series has only four different cars in it. Thats only 50-100 WLs
for each car. The odds of finding a WL would be 1 in every 4.16 boxes
(@2%) or 1 in every 8.33 boxes (@1%). JL doesn't have a chase car in
every box like some of its competitors. Where I live your lucky to find 1
box of JL in each store of a particular chain that carries them . . . if that
chain of stores even carries JLs anymore, and once they're gone you
won't see that particular series ever again. Considering the scarcity, in my
opinion, . . . I'd say that in the majority of series of JLs . . . the WLs are at
1% or less of the total production number for each car. The odds aren't
really that good . . .

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks glhshelby.I thinks it a lost cause here.I know the delivery dates for the walmarts,target,toys r us,biglots,dollar tree,etc.The cases are opened in the stockrooms,and nothing makes it to the shelf,just that accassional mishap of an unidentified white.Heres a break down,manager of the toy department at Walmart takes everything,her son works at the local Target,he is in competition with 4 other employees,Susan,Roger,Matt,and Andy.Matt and Andy use to work at the Toysrus.Andy's girlfriend works at the toysrus now,she has to fight 3 other employees Randy,Theresa,Paul.And I probably missed a couple I do not know personally.Gary a collector in town,buys from 5 of these individuals.I have bought from 3 of them in the past.I know 25 collectors in the area,they do not find much either,every once in a while they get lucky.The one biglots is sewn up,by whom I do not know.They hardly get Johnny lightnings in anyway,maybe 3 times a year,around Christmas.Since 1995 I have found 6 or so whites in the wild.One I took away from an employee at Target while he was stocking-he was trying to put it back in the box,and I said aint no way,well got kicked out of the store,threatened them with a law suite,manager let me go through cases for a while,got 2 that way,took some straight from cases on pallets at the Pay-less drug store,got one last month at the Toysrus-gold series 442-was on the peg for at least 2 days,several guys left it there,didn't know what it was.And 2 at Walmart.Chances aint to good in these parts,maybe different in other areas.Good for them.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
The cases were all at stores during random hours of the day. Im a common face at these stores and im always polite to the employees so sometimes I ask and they let me see a new case. Just look at it this way, when you do find one it will be a happy day for you! good luck.

Also dont bother buying cases, you will just be more frustrated.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My point exactly lightningprone.The odds of some collectors finding several- quite often -is quite amazing,wouldn't you say?I know the odds,and the likelyhood that one would find one is quite amazing,2-3 is quite astonishing-4 or more is miraculous.Just my opinion.I know when goodluck hits you,it can and does happen.If someone is that lucky,they shoud buy a lottery ticket.And i do buy on ebay,I try to stick with the dealers that buy the cases,and sale the whites,they deserve to get whatever someone is willing to pay for theirs.They invest a lot,they should get a good return.Employees on the other hand,deserve didly-notha-not a freakn thing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nyswlhunter-if I knew a nice employee,I would be more than happy to do what you do.But since friendly employees here are more rare than any white lightning.I am always polite to them anyway,but they know how I feel about them.I tell them right out front,nothing behind their back,they know where I stand.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts