Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought about adding this question to one of the threads showing peoples' Drivers cars but didn't want to detract from their exhibit so am going to ask this question in a new thread.

I mostly collect M2's premium lines such as Auto-Thentics, Drags, Muscle, etc. but received an RAOK Driver car a while back and thought it was nice enough that I might start looking to add a few of them to my collection. But since then, whenever I have actually looked at any of the Drivers models I'm put off by the way the doors are done. On most of the ones I have looked at there is barely an impression of any kind to indicate the door gap and on a lot of the models the impression totally disappears altogether leaving a flat smooth surface in place of the door 'gap'. I understand the idea behind not having working doors so the door 'gap' can be controlled to more accurately represents the scale/look of the gap on a 1:1, but I think the 'gap' should still be there - and be there well enough - to accurately represent the presence of a working door. Is that just me? Do others prefer the look of no doors at all, preferring the smooth look of the sheet metal?

Examples of what I mean:
Drivers Example

JL I recently picked up, doors don't open but look as if they could

I realize this Drivers model isn't the best example for this discussion as the door 'gap' on it is fairly good, but it is the only one I have. In contrast, as I said earlier, on many of the Drivers cars that have been on store shelves lately, the 'gap' hardly appears at all, and on many of them the 'gap' disappears altogether, especially on the lower door panel where it curves away from the 'viewer'.

So which look do you prefer? Am I just being overly picky? I know I tend to be that way, anyway, so I can take it if you say so.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I'm with you, I prefer seeing a nice clean pronounced door gap like on that JL.
Maybe paint on Drivers are a little thick and hide the gap?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Gap, schlap, I like the JL. Wouldn't make me mad if A-Ts and D-Ms had fixed doors with a gap like the JL. I don't buy many Drivers because of the custom wheels.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I checked some of my M2 Drivers and it seems that door gaps are not a high priority during the modeling process. It's still pretty faint on a GTO with a thinner matte finish, and barely existent on a Torino.

It doesn't really bother me because gap is still there. If they were not there at all, I would wonder why. Since were on the subject of details, is it just me or are Matchbox the only ones in the business who acknowledge the existence of rear view mirrors? :lol:.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I checked some of my M2 Drivers and it seems that door gaps are not a high priority during the modeling process. It's still pretty faint on a GTO with a thinner matte finish, and barely existent on a Torino.

It doesn't really bother me because gap is still there. If they were not there at all, I would wonder why. Since were on the subject of details, is it just me or are Matchbox the only ones in the business who acknowledge the existence of rear view mirrors? :lol:.
I wondered about rear view mirrors then I realized that they would be the first thing to break off on these older style cars. ;)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Since were on the subject of details, is it just me or are Matchbox the only ones in the business who acknowledge the existence of rear view mirrors? :lol:.
Some of the 1:64 Ertl and Racing Champion releases had exterior rear view mirrors but they look overscaled/clunky to me to point where they dragged the casting's impact down a notch. Better to omit the mirrors than put them on if they can't be scaled/attached right.

Kyosho and Biante 1:64's also have exterior rear view mirrors - and they look good!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I agree, no mirrors looks far better and much cleaner than clunky, mis-shaped mirrors by far.
And in fact on some cheaper cars before '68, even the drivers side rear view mirror was an option believe it or not!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts