Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can drill rows of perfectly aligned miniature holes into plactic.

I have a dremel with the drill press kit. I'm trying to drill a grid (6 x 6 for a total of 36 holes) of tiny (.25mm) holes for fiber optics.

I've tried using my drill press and also the center punch, but I can never seem to get the holes aligned (distance) equally.

Any advice???

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Try a straight edge on the press platform to hold it aligned. Then clamp the piece down somehow for every hole. If it's too small tape it to a larger piece.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
You also may want to use a pin vise instead of a motorized drill. It's slower, doing it by hand, but you can often be more precise if you have a guide for the holes.

·
Registered
903 Posts
This will be difficult with a Dremel tool as most of them turn so fast (even on the slowest speed) that after the first couple of holes you are melting holes rather than drilling them.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Did you try drawing the pattern on a piece or two of tape applying the tape to the piece to be drilled, then drilling through the tape, to try and keep things aligned?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Dremel speed problems? Get a router speed control from Harbor Freight, around $15-20. Don't use it on a multispeed unless it is set to the fastest speed as it will nuke the circuitry or some such, in the Dremel.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use a standard dimmer to control the speed of my Dremel. Of course the company doesn't recommend it because they want to sell you THEIR much more expensive "speed controller" (a dimmer by any other name).

I also agrre with starting to drill your holes by hand which will give you much more control.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I think that some of the previous tips are good ideas,but before drilling,using a hot pin to,if not create a total hole right through,will at least make an indentation with it in order that the drill has a starting point and not slip out of it's trajectory.If a normal size variable speed drill can be used,why not use it instead of a Dremel tool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What about making the pattern in a computer graphics program, then printing it out and using spray adhesive to glue the paper to the plastic and then pinvising the holes, right through the paper?

Or just draw the pattern, with drafting tools (straight edge; compass; protractor; triangle; T-square... Are there any I forgot? :) ), on paper and adhere it to the plastic that way? Of course if you do it that way, I'd suggest photocopying the original and use copies until you get it right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts