Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here (other then me) has set up one of their cars for drifting. If anyone has, please post here, so we can talk about set up, bodies, etc. :thumbsup:

Steve

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Honestly I'm not putting this down or anything but I really don't understand the concept of "drifting". To each his own though I guess. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont race, so I dont have that "need to go my fastest." I take drifting as more for show and to practice your control then a way to get around a track. Again, to each his own...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
241 Posts
Have you checked out the Yokomo line of Drift products. They make special tires for drifting. If you don't want to spend the money you could find the hardest tires or the baldest tires you own. Put on the stiffest springs and give the chassis no droop. I do this with my parking lot Losi XXX-S. You might want to turn up the steering on your radio to full. It would help to have braking dialed into your esc. Go with a body with little downforce, and remove the wing. I've found that the Losi is best for drifting b/c the enclosed drivetrain keeps rocks out of the spur. I'm running a MVP stock w/ Sanyo 2400 Nicd's. Right now I use a Honda S2000 w/o the wing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yokomo MR4-tc with PVC tires on cheap-o yokomo wheels ($10 for 8), team orion rush 19t, suspension about as stiff is possible with the hardest sway bars and hardest springs, semi locked diffs, and some fusion 3300s. oh, and Im running a crysler (sp?) 300M with wing. Have yet to try it without, but want to get a body that suits the term "drifter" better, like a honda or something :rolleyes:

F

·
0 Posts
looks cool but i got speed and nitro in my veins. but if you all do find out what kind of tires they are running please post it. i would like to know

·
Registered
940 Posts
is it possible to do good drifts with a 2 wheel drive car? i have an old rc10ds i was thinking of throwing together for this purpose but i am not sure how it will work

·
Registered
241 Posts
finbone said:
looks cool but i got speed and nitro in my veins. but if you all do find out what kind of tires they are running please post it. i would like to know
Got to the YokomoUSA site. They sell the best quality PolyVinylCarbonate Tires.

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
I am working on a small feature on Drifting on the SCH website.
Steel City Hobbies will sell you these tires so you can upgrade your current touring car if you want.
This is something that is becoming hot and I think it will pick up even more this summer. It is huge in Japan (of course) as with the "real" cars, R/C is not far behind. Currently this is big in CA and working its way East. I would like to give it a try 1st hand... I'm sure it is not as easy as it looks.
Mike

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Bud - you ain't kidding!

We need to see that done with a nitro car!

Hmm... I have my old MTX-2 lying around. Mike, let us know how when you get those tires in stock and how much those tires will be. I have a stockpile of those Yokomo rims, so it looks like they will come in handy, finally.

-Rich

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2" (inside diameter) PVC pipe. Works wonders for me as tires...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Blue Oval_DD said:
Uhhh, okay. :rolleyes:
yup :D

you use what works. plus the pipe was free..

anyone else drifting yet? Hopefully I can take my car to my highschool tonight and get a good drifting run in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, a buddy of mine, who just happens to be the same buddy that got me into rc cars in the first place(some 15 years ago), told me about drifting about 2 weeks ago, & actually pointed me to this thread and suggested I watch the vids posted here.
Well, needless to say I watched the vids and I knew that I had to try this, so after some research, I had waited long enough. On Tuesday I Stopped @ Home Depot on my way home from work & picked up a 10' section of black ABS, rushed home & cut and installed my glossy new tires on my RS4.
The rest is, as they say, History. I'm HOOKED! While I haven't even put a setup in the car yet, & in some people's opinion maybe I haven't "technically" drifted yet (not on an actual defined race course, just kinda power sliding around a huge parking lot) It sure is fun!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, its addicting.

Ive found that a general "setup" is just stiffining up the suspension (shock springs mostly) and tightening up the diffs.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
On the second video, there's a spot where the one car spins out right infront of the camera, and you can really see the rear wheel. Looks like either black ABS pipe or a solid hard rubber tire, almost like using 2" radiator hose or something.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts