Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Nice to see a kit offered tha people have been clamoring for since the large Flying Sub released.
This Spindrift is priced way out of my league but I do know there will be others who will snap it up with glee.
Photos?

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Photo's would be great.

Are they just shells? Are they made of PLA or ABS?

The price is high, but they could be worth it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'd like to see photos too, but considering there are small items on shapeways that go for US$100-US$150, US$515 for a 24-inch version of an iconic orbital shuttle doesn't sound too bad.

I'm inbetween working on a Lunar Models version right now...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's PLA which I love for its similarity to styrene but hate for how difficult it is to sand. I have the 20" kit but I won't be starting on it for a while...

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Hi, there are thin epoxies that you can buy that are designed to seal and smooth the printed surface rills/layers so as to create a smooth surface. It takes getting used to in order to control how much to put on your model. Definitely use failed prints or 2D flat prints for practice, until you no longer paint on so much that it begins to drip and run. One brand is called "smooth-on", if I recall correctly. I bought a can and I am still having trouble with it running after 3 attempts.I have been using a sponge brush, which might be what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Personally, I love the Spindrift design I have a partially started 1/35th Lunar Models one. The only thing holding me back from completing it is a passenger compartment ceiling segment that is not properly delineated in the Fox blueprints. Oh, and I have to replicate the semi-spherical overhead lamps.... Although, now I think about, I can 3D print..... I am curious as to the cost of the 40 inch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts