Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying a couple of junk roofs and chopping up one as well; I opted to use the roof from a Playin Mantis Firbird.

I opened the grill work by back cutting the grill.

I also dipped out the head lamp buckets using a wore down (3/8") cuttin wheel. These will be filled with epoxy to simulate the lenses.

Pieced together it looks like this

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
If I may be so bold as to express my tastes - I would take that roof and shorten it so it shows some of that sexy Draguar trunk area.
The horizontal area of the roof between the top of the A pillar and the top of the rear pillar, I would shorten it 'till that area is about half of what it is now.
I would prolly use the wheels from this car. Big and littles.

I have an extra if you wannit.
It looks cool the way it is too, don't get me wrong!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I may be so bold as to express my tastes - I would take that roof and shorten it so it shows some of that sexy Draguar trunk area.
The horizontal area of the roof between the top of the A pillar and the top of the rear pillar, I would shorten it 'till that area is about half of what it is now.
I would prolly use the wheels from this car. Big and littles.

I have an extra if you wannit.
It looks cool the way it is too, don't get me wrong!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I see where your coming from about cutting back the roof. It would be one way to go. This would have conformed to the 250 GTO roof line I tried. One reason I chose the Firebird's roof was the way the rounded deck-well contrasted against the Firebirds straight, top, rear window line. Kind of gives a tucked away comfortable feeling to me. Like it makes me want to look deeper into the interior.

Those are nice looking wheels. I'm not real big on the staggered wheel size thing. Normally with something like that I use two of the same cars and match the wheel sizes. But like buying shoes without trying them on; sizing wheels needs to be a see if they fit affair. What looks good on one might be too big or small in another application. That's such a nice GT40 as well.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
While I agree with Lummox's idea for a different version, I also like what you did CH, it reminds me of alot of designs coming from Italy in the late 60's, a little Ferrari, a little Maserati :thumbsup:. Very sexy lines on a Jag based car!

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the rejected roof lines. A bit of imagination should be excercised as eveything is just set into place.

250 GTO roof

'54 Chevy roof

XJS roof

E-Type roof

Firbird roof with Fast FeLion. The Firbird roof does give the combination that Retro Fast FeLion look. No intent. It is what it is.

The top view. Another advantage of the Firbird roof is how well the windows fit up when combined. I've also tried moving the roof toward the midship. That gives a sedan look to the mix. Not a bad look. Just not what I want for this one.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Cool, thanks for the reject pics! There's something about the E-type roof with the hood scoop, retro, awkward cool. Looks like something the boys on 'Top Gear' would cobble up for grins ;)

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got some paint on it. Trimmed it out. Still haven't stuck it back together perminately. Still want to work on the interior and engine. The hood isn't yet secured I've still got to hinge this. When it goes back together to stay the chassis won't be showing under the front valance. Naturally the pipes will set higher as well.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got this and another and several more interesting castings from a fellow "frum the land Downunder." Unfortunately nieither of these had the; bubble? Never seen, nor have I bothered to look one up in prime shape. He said most of the windows on these were broken years ago. This was the reason for the roof swap. I'd of never customed one of these that had the window intact.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I fixed it. That was a mistake. I'm going to take it back down to metal because I'm going to remove the front bumpers. That looks like it'll get rid of some more of that E-Type in the front end. I don't think I'm going to fix the roof in its final stage. It'll make the design much more versatile.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
DADGUM SONdo you EVER build a dud???

Another remarkable CH Creation taking shap. I had forgotten about this thread and just meandered in this morning to find this! The color is stunning, and the design is, as always unique. I'd buy one of these in 1:1 in a second.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts