Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I saw some pics of these recently... they look cool. I forget where I saw them advertized. Maybe Dragon USA Online? It was someone who sends me regular emails about new stuff.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not The Brightest Bulb In The Box!!

I guess I am not the brightest bulb in the box but can someone enlighten me on how it is that Dragon and Moebius both have the rights to some of the same kits?? Doesn't that water down the customer base for both companies, because some folks can not afford to buy kits of the same figure that each company issues.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Not unusual at all. Look at how many model companies have the rights to do, say, Ford cars? AMT, Polar Lights and Revell and Bandai have/have had Star Trek rights. For a while, Monogram did too with their Voyager series. Sometimes kits are licensed for a specific market, ie Dragon kits sold in Asia etc.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
Although they have the same license, they are marketed to a completely different demographic in a foreign market. Moebius in the USA and Canada,
Dragon in Asia. There is some bleed over in that certain distributors import them into both markets for which they were never intended. Clear as mud ,isn't it?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Apparently the Dragon stuff is licensed for US sale. But since they also sell the same things pre finished, that could be part of the angle.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am more than happy that other model companies can get the rights to produce kits. This just gives us a choice of product. What I would like to know is why(supposedly) the moebius kits are so static - look at the iron man and black widow offerings - boring stances. But then Dragon is allowed to do more dynamic poses? Is that fair? Why the difference? Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
There are probably several factors. Seemingly comic book companies have different needs for kits compared to toys or statures or pre finished items. The Moebius stuff are strictly kits. The Dragon "kits" are just unassembled versions of their pre finished line. That could account for Dragon having more leeway in poses. Dragon is a big company too and may have deep pockets. Also, Dragon uses much much more sophisticated tooling and molding than anything Moebius has done to date. Moebius could not touch the level of detail and complexity of molding that Dragon can do. To be fair, a lot of companies don't have that capacity. It's tough to compete with the molding technology used by Tamiya, Dragon, Trumpeter, etc.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Are any of these Dragon 1/9 figure kits available yet? I haven't seen any prices....

I do like the dynamic poses on them!

MMM

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I guess I am not the brightest bulb in the box but can someone enlighten me on how it is that Dragon and Moebius both have the rights to some of the same kits??
OK, first of all, Moebius has only ever released kits under the Iron Man brand. To date, they have not released or announced any kits under the Avengers brand. So, although those two franchises share characters, they are still two different licenses.

Secondly, Dragon is an Asian company. So far, the Avengers kits have only been announced for Asian markets. I cannot find any announcement from anybody that these kits will ever be officially for sale in the US. Of course, they'll be available as imports at a marked up price, but importation of products like this are what's called the "grey market". It's not illegal, but it's not "official" either.

Based on grumblings from Moebius, I get the feeling that they're kind of sick and tired of dealing with some of their licensees. They already let their DC Comics license expire (since picked up by Round 2) because of the headaches getting the Green Lantern kit approved. I have a feeling that the War Machine and reposed Iron Man MkIII kits might be their last Marvel movie kits.

In any event, it's still possible that Dragon could pick up (or already has picked up) the North American license for Avengers (if it's available), and those kits could be legitimately be sold right next to Moebius' Iron Man kits.

Are any of these Dragon 1/9 figure kits available yet?
Hobbylink Japan lists the Iron Man MkVII and Hulk kits as being in stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts