Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The story you are about to read is true. None of the names have been changed to protect anybody.

The call came in on a Monday, late afternoon, during a routine patrol. I knew the address. It was the home of one of those loony JL collector’s, alias Bobby. I knew it was going to be one of those nights. I was driving with my partner, Frank Smith. My name is Friday...I wear a badge.

On arrival, Frank and I were shown into a garage. What really disturbed me was how clean the car was that had been parked inside. Someone, quite possibly the dead man himself, had vacuumed the interior rugs with special care. There wasn’t a speck of dust anywhere on the dash, either, or along the steering column; even the short stalks behind the knobs on the radio had been wiped. The leather cover over the gearshift box had been cleaned of the dust and grit that always collects in the creases.

"I’m certain this is the handiwork of a JL collector," I said.

"Why’s that?" Frank asked.

"Because their always dusting things."

"Mmmm-hmmm."

"Their out of package cars, their collector’s cases, display shelves."

"Mmmm-hmmm."

"It’s an obsession with them," I said. "They can’t seem to help themselves."

I leaned inside the car and peered at the odometer. The light wasn’t all that good inside the garage, and the car had been backed in so that the waning winter daylight from the open garage door came through the windshield directly into my face. Still, I would make out the figures: 47,583. It wasn’t a new car, but it was in great shape. Crazy collectors.

I leaned across the seat and ticked the switch on the armrest to lower the passenger window just a bit. The smell inside the car was nauseating and need to be relieved by letting some air to flow through. It was a smell I encountered before, the smell of a body in the early stages of decomposition.

The smell clung everything, especially the inside of the car. It would be a long time before the fabric of the seats would be free of it.

"The body had gone unnoticed for almost two days," said the coroner. "The dead man backed the car inside the garage some forty to fifty hour ago, closed the door and sat here with the engine running until the inevitable happened. The owner said he was away from home since Saturday night."

"Bring him in, let’s hear what he has to say."

Bobby was lead into the garage.

"Did you know the dead man?" I asked.

"No. He just showed up at a party last Friday night."

"A party?"

"For JL collectors."

"I see. Who all was at this party?"

Oh, all the big collectors. Jeff Koch, Scott Moen, RobDog, Wyatt. Even Modsquad was there, chastising us all for scoffing up so many white lightnings...kept calling us all JL-fan-boys or something like that."

"And the dead man?"

"He was a gate-crasher," Bobby said. "No one knew him, but he boasted to have a collection that would put us all to shame. But when he saw my own personal collection, he broke down and started to cry like a baby."

"Why do you suppose he did that?"

"Jealousy, natch. He was obviously a fraud, overcome by all the big-time collectors. He knew he faced public disgrace if he showed himself on the boards. That’s why he killed himself, right?"

"That’s a pretty crass theory."

"Thank you, sir."

"Bobby, are you obsessed with dusting, by any chance?"

"How’s that, sir?"

"Because, you see, I happen to know this wasn’t a suicide. It was murder."

How did I come to the conclusion this was murder and not suicide? See if you can play detective and figure out what detail (or details) tipped me off. The solution will be displayed on Monday. The first one solve the puzzle and come up with the right answer gets to star in the next story. The clues are all before you, there will be no further hints.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
LOL...oops! Well, Bobby was the contest winner. You can tell I've been away too long. I'll edit that other Rob right out of there for future reads. Hopefully it all makes sense now!

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Dragnet_Supporter said:
The story you are about to read is true. None of the names have been changed to protect anybody.

The call came in on a Monday, late afternoon, during a routine patrol. I knew the address. It was the home of one of those loony JL collector’s, alias Bobby. I knew it was going to be one of those nights. I was driving with my partner, Frank Smith. My name is Friday...I wear a badge.

On arrival, Frank and I were shown into a garage. What really disturbed me was how clean the car was that had been parked inside. Someone, quite possibly the dead man himself, had vacuumed the interior rugs with special care. There wasn’t a speck of dust anywhere on the dash, either, or along the steering column; even the short stalks behind the knobs on the radio had been wiped. The leather cover over the gearshift box had been cleaned of the dust and grit that always collects in the creases.

"I’m certain this is the handiwork of a JL collector," I said.

"Why’s that?" Frank asked.

"Because their always dusting things."

"Mmmm-hmmm."

"Their out of package cars, their collector’s cases, display shelves."

"Mmmm-hmmm."

"It’s an obsession with them," I said. "They can’t seem to help themselves."

I leaned inside the car and peered at the odometer. The light wasn’t all that good inside the garage, and the car had been backed in so that the waning winter daylight from the open garage door came through the windshield directly into my face. Still, I would make out the figures: 47,583. It wasn’t a new car, but it was in great shape. Crazy collectors.

I leaned across the seat and ticked the switch on the armrest to lower the passenger window just a bit. The smell inside the car was nauseating and need to be relieved by letting some air to flow through. It was a smell I encountered before, the smell of a body in the early stages of decomposition.

The smell clung everything, especially the inside of the car. It would be a long time before the fabric of the seats would be free of it.

"The body had gone unnoticed for almost two days," said the coroner. "The dead man backed the car inside the garage some forty to fifty hour ago, closed the door and sat here with the engine running until the inevitable happened. The owner said he was away from home since Saturday night."

"Bring him in, let’s hear what he has to say."

Bobby was lead into the garage.

"Did you know the dead man?" I asked.

"No. He just showed up at a party last Friday night."

"A party?"

"For JL collectors."

"I see. Who all was at this party?"

Oh, all the big collectors. Jeff Koch, Scott Moen, RobDog, Wyatt. Even Modsquad was there, chastising us all for scoffing up so many white lightnings...kept calling us all JL-fan-boys or something like that."

"And the dead man?"

"He was a gate-crasher," Bobby said. "No one knew him, but he boasted to have a collection that would put us all to shame. But when he saw my own personal collection, he broke down and started to cry like a baby."

"Why do you suppose he did that?"

"Jealousy, natch. He was obviously a fraud, overcome by all the big-time collectors. He knew he faced public disgrace if he showed himself on the boards. That’s why he killed himself, right?"

"That’s a pretty crass theory."

"Thank you, sir."

"Bobby, are you obsessed with dusting, by any chance?"

"How’s that, sir?"

"Because, you see, I happen to know this wasn’t a suicide. It was murder."

How did I come to this conclusion? The solution will be displayed on Monday. The first one to come up with the right answer gets to star in the next story. The clues are all before you, there will be no further hints.
Why did he do it why did Mark Hosaflook have to die *Sob*

Oh I saw the Corners pictures.......OK I didn't just having fun.

Wyatt did it in the Garage with a wrench!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
lesseee here;
just the facts maaam
OWNER:Bobby
claims he was gone since Saturday night.
Friday receives the call, Monday late afternoon,regarding the body

Suicide is ruled out because the open garage door would not trap enough carbon monoxide to kill the victim, by asphyxiation.

body starting to decompose,smell nausiating after 40-50 hours.
(before blow flies reach the corpse)
Car is spotless,indicating it was recently cleaned.
(dust accumulates daily,at collectors' houses)
48-hour window is compromised by a dustless car,even though the body reeks.

The aroma of a decomposing body is not limited to at least three days.
Decomposition occurs during the same cycle and timeframe.

Possible murder subjects are attendies of "Fridays" party.

...seeing how the party was not attended ON a Friday,but hostd BY Friday,the suspicion falls upon the investigating officer.

The Timeframe of three days, suggests Bobby was there at the time of the party,therefore the time of the murder.
Bobby could not have done it because his helmet prevented him from seeing where the intended victim was.
RobDog couldn't have done it because...well he just doesn't dust.
Modsquad was only gunning for WL collectors.
JK was in there but his head was in California,
Scott: well, he didn't want to jeapardize his paroll,
Wyatt was busy cleaning his camara for the 2007 lineup.....

The only possible suspect is none other than ..............dfrtey fhgtru llikh7

*Lights pipe and kicks back in front of the fireplace.*
**Thud**the pipe falls to the floor..........

·
Registered
999 Posts
If the car had been left running for a suicide, it would have run out of gas, then drained the battery, leaving no power for Friday to "tick the switch" and roll down the window 2 days later.

It must be murder!

Mike

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
*Detective Columbo walks onto the scene*

"Now Sir, that's a very nice car there, Sir. What kind of car is that there?"

"Really? And how long have you owned this beeuuteeful car, Sir?"

"That long, huh? That sure is a beeuuteeful car, Sir. I'd love to have a car like that..... say, do you think I could buy a car like that too???"

"One question, Sir.... this car..... your car...... do you have the only set of keys to this car, Sir? You do? Welllll... that's certainly what I would have if I owned a car like this...."

Any idea then, Sir, how the victim came to have the only set of keys to this car, Sir? Your car, that is????"

Clearly, Columbo sees this for the homicide that it is. The car is backed into the garage...... Bobby's garage...... the car, obviously belongs to Bobby, not the victim..... so how do you suppose the victim got the car keys to commit suicide???

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Wait a minute..... hard to read this on a rickety old computer, between customers, but I just noticed something.....

This is being suggested as a suicide by carbon monoxide, but it's really a murder! How do we know this? Though the Coroner said the victim closed the door, the garage door was found open!

JoeFriday said:
The light wasn’t all that good inside the garage, and the car had been backed in so that the waning winter daylight from the open garage door came through the windshield directly into my face.
For the exhaust to have killed the victim, the door would have to have been closed!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
Why did he do it why did Mark Hosaflook have to die *Sob*

Oh I saw the Corners pictures.......OK I didn't just having fun.

Wyatt did it in the Garage with a wrench!
Gadzooks N' Egads!!!

Whats even more interesting is that the coroner found 10 loose
partially digested white lightnings in the victims stomache. After
several tests were performed . . . it was determined that the die casts
were eaten approximately at the same time as the party.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lightningprone said:
Gadzooks N' Egads!!!

Whats even more interesting is that the coroner found 10 loose
partially digested white lightnings in the victims stomache. After
several tests were performed . . . it was determined that the die casts
were eaten approximately at the same time as the party.
I was actually going to have an OOP WL sticking out of the victims mouth. But who knows, lightningprone, the autopsy is yet to be performed. You may be right.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
"The body had gone unnoticed for almost two days," said the coroner. "The dead man backed the car inside the garage some forty to fifty hour ago, closed the door and sat here with the engine running until the inevitable happened."
Sorry to burst your bubble, but the door was closed.

I don't know about you, but if i found a dead body in my garage that was killed by CO2 poisoning, the first thing i would do would be open the garage door to ventalate the area so i myself wouldnt die. Also would seem more likely that even the coroner himself opened the door to remove the body from the garage, as opposing going through the entire house.

Gotta remember, you are not looking at a crime scene in progress, you are looking at a crime scene that happened ATLEAST a couple hours ago.

My Theory:

In theory he did not die from carbon monoxide poisoning due to the fact of what others have stated, the engine running would have left a fine layer of soot throught the garage that was not there open investigation, so that leaves he died of carbon monoxide poisoning, but it was not in that car, or in that garage.

The car was that of victims, he actually WAS a huge JL Collector. Thats why his car was so immaculate inside of it, constant maintanance, just like any JL Collector would do. We were never givin a name of the victim, but i suspect it was probably Higgprime, and it wasn't that the victim was jealous of Bobby's collection, Bobby was jealous of the victims collection! Why else would he give the possible motive of suicide so quickly? if he was out of the way, bobby would have the best! but aslong as the victim was still in the picture, bobby was only second best! Thats Bobby's motive for murder.

Sad this is we don't really have the actual coroners report for cause of death. But since im assuming the coroner mentioned "the inevitable happened" im assuming the coroner does agree with the CO poisoning.

This actually was not CO Poisoning by the cars engine, as the battery would of been drained by the time people have noticed it. Instead it was a kerosean heater that was in the corner that was running! Kerosean heaters are known for their CO emmissions and account for alot of deaths because of it. AS stated, it was winter time, which is a perfect viable reason for them to have the kerosean heater out of storage, all they had to do was plug it in and wait. Also makes no soot which is why the car was still clean!

can't figure out how he was kept there inside the car to die though... hermmm, flaw in my theory :tongue:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Gadzooks N' Egads!!!

Another factor that would substanciate that this death wasn't a
suicide . . . was that the car was backed in. If a person was going to
commit suicide, he wouldn't have taken the time to do so knowing that
he wouldn't ever be leaving the garage upright or ever using his car
again.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'll give the solution to this tomorrow morning instead of Monday. Lots of interesting theories here, and a correct answer has been given, so there is no point in prolonging the thing over the weekend. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Cool story Dragnet Supporter :thumbsup: . It reminds me of a old crime game show called "Who Done It?". I think the show only lasted 6 episodes. It came on before of after "Cliff Hangers". Another cool show that only lasted 1 season :(.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
darkwiz said:
Cool story Dragnet Supporter :thumbsup: . It reminds me of a old crime game show called "Who Done It?". I think the show only lasted 6 episodes. It came on before of after "Cliff Hangers". Another cool show that only lasted 1 season :(.
I remember cliff hangers. The only story out of the three that showed the final conclusion was the vampire one, then they pulled the show. What a bummer. I'm still waiting on those other two cliff hangers. Guess they fell into a bottomless ravine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts