Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dragnet Mystery Theater Presents: "The Big Collector Part II" Starring MissouriMike

Bobby kept insisting he didn’t know the man. I wanted to believe him. But one thing you learn fast in my line of work, saying it doesn’t make it so. My partner Frank and I gave Bobby the usual tirade about not leaving town and headed back to the precinct. We had a lot of work ahead of us.

Most of the attendants of Bobby’s party lived out of town, some out of state. A large part of police work is collecting facts. In this case, most of those facts were accumulated through a telephone line. Everyone corroborated Bobby’s story. No one knew the identity of the dead man. No one had anything new to add. Until I placed a call to MissouriMike. We told Mike that he would be reimbursed for traveling expenses if he could make a return trip to our fair city and meet us at the morgue.

Mike identified the victim as the gate-crasher at Bobby’s party. We also picked up the coroner’s report. Death was cause by asphyxiation. Carbon monoxide poisoning, it said. Some days you can’t see a cloud in the sky either, but it doesn’t mean their not there, just over the curve of an otherwise sunny horizon. Some days I’ve been known to wake up cynical in my old age.

Frank and I sat with Mike at a hamburger joint, munching on French fries that were overly salted and trying to wash them down with chocolate shakes too thick to force through the plastic straw.

I gazed at Mike. "Would you mind repeating your story, sir?"

"Not at all," said Mike. There was just enough twang in his voice to betray his mid-western origins.

"Just the facts," I reminded.

"The guy...the dead guy..." Mike pushed his half-eaten burger away from him. "He bragged a lot about his big collection. Bobby’s not lyin’ about that."

"Bobby claims the man began to cry when he saw his die-cast collection."

"Broke down like a baby," Mike said.

"Yes, sir."

Frank dabbed a spot of ketchup from his upper lip with a paper napkin. "Do you suppose he broke down from sheer jealousy?"

"Maybe," Mike said. "He was all worked up over somethin’."

I attempted my milkshake. It was melting enough to suck through the straw without pruning my lips to the point of pain. "Why don’t you tell us what happened after the crying incident."

"The party broke up pretty quick after that," Mike began. "Me and the dead dude were the only ones left. I had a reason to be there though."

"Why’s that, sir?"

"I had a little sick time coming from work, y’see?"

"Yes, sir."

"Bobby asked me if I wanted to make a three day weekend of it. There was this custom car show the next day...Sunday, it was. Couple hours away, but we were gonna drive out, take it in, then check out the local hobby shops and toy stores in the area. We figured on stayin’ the night somewhere, then hit all the toy stores in the towns we passed on the way back home Monday. Anything wrong with that?"

"Not that I’m aware of, sir."

"We didn’t find as much as we hoped for," Mike said. "But we hooked ourselves a few nice finds. Not all of ‘em were strictly JL’s though."

"You were telling us what happened after the party. Mind if we get back to that?"

"Right. Well, this crasher guy, he looks pretty wasted. So Bobby shows him to the bathroom to get himself cleaned up."

"I think he’s been drinking heavily," says Bobby. "Will you hang out near the bathroom and keep your eyes and ears peeled? I’m going to make some very strong coffee, pump it into this guy and call him a cab. He seems calm enough now, but if he gives us any grief we’ll call the police and let them deal with him."

So I’m alone with this guy when he comes out the bathroom. I lead him into the dining room and he sits down at the table across from me makin’ small talk about looking forward to the new JL’s. He doesn’t do anything, doesn’t say more than was absolutely necessary. Finally Bobby comes out of the kitchen carryin’ a tray with matchin’ white Tupperware sugar an’ cream containers. The three steamin’ mugs of black coffee smell terrific.

Bobby puts one of the cups in front of me an’ says how do I take it?

"Cream and sugar," I say. And while I’m fixin’ my own cup, Bobby puts a cup in front of the crasher, then the last one in front of himself.

"Feeling better?" Bobby says.

The crasher nods, lookin’ down at his cup in front of him.

"Good," says Bobby, an’ he lifts the plastic cream pitcher and colors his own coffee.

"We were just talkin’ about the new JL’s," I say.

"Can’t wait, myself," says Bobby while he adds some of the cream to the crasher’s coffee, who finally starts to loosen up and we all join in our favorite subject. Twenty minutes or so of die-cast talk and we’re all yawnin’.

"I don’t know about you guys, but I’m exhausted," Bobby says. He looks at the crasher "Long day, and there’s another one tomorrow. Can I call you a cab?"

We still don’t know this guy’s name. But he says not to bother with the cab, his car is parked just down the street. Bobby looks at me an’ nods. The guy looks okay to drive himself, so I nod back.

Once he’s out the door, Bobby locks it and pretends to wipe his brow. "Lordy," he says, "the next party is going to be at your house, Mike. I’ve had my limit."

We laughed about it between takin’ our turns in the bathroom. After that we went to be. An’ frankly, I slept like a log. Didn’t hear a thing until Bobby knocked on my door the next morning and said, "The bathroom is all yours."

I placed my empty milkshake container on the plastic try for disposal. "I think we’ve heard all we need to hear, Mr. MissouriMike. Can we drop you at your motel?"

Once Mike was safely out of earshot, I said, "I hope Mike follows our instructions not to talk to Bobby."

"He said he wouldn’t," said Frank.

"Bobby doesn’t live far from here. I hope he has a good reason for lying to us."

What was it that made me suspect Bobby was lying about something?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
hurmmm, after a quick read, ima have to agree with the geography teacher on the coffee, even though it doesn't flat outright say that bobby "added sugar or cream", but he never asked the guy anything either, just put it infront of him and started pouring his own.

Although it is kinda suspicius that they are the only 3 left after this party, with MissouiMike being very well ept to tell "but yea, i had a reason!" seems like a guilty concous to me ;)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, what about that MissouriMike? Does he have something to hide? I'm thinking the entire board could end up part of a conspiracy. Maybe Bobby is Just a pawn. Bobby's reasons for everything...along with the solution to this episode will be posted by Wednesday. Meantime, feel free to post theories. I've got the end of this one figured out, but you might inspire me with ideas for future stories.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Ahem...... (tap tap tap) "Is this thing on?"

My name is Phineas T. Farnsworth III, Esq., and I have been retained by a Mr. Missouri Mike relative to a recent police investigation regarding a certain DeadDude.

Mr. MM has no further public statements, nor will agree to speak with Det. Friday next Monday, nor any other days of the week. Mr. Mike does not publicly acknowledge knowing anyone named Bobby, nor wishes to either confirm or deny collecting die cast cars, or acknowledge that he even knows what a die cast car is, and in fact had nothing to do with anything that is even remotely associated with the word "die".

*Grabs Missouri Mike by the arm and leads him out of the press conference*

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
carnut2256 said:
Ahem...... (tap tap tap) "Is this thing on?"

My name is Phineas T. Farnsworth III, Esq., and I have been retained by a Mr. Missouri Mike relative to a recent police investigation regarding a certain DeadDude.

Mr. MM has no further public statements, nor will agree to speak with Det. Friday next Monday, nor any other days of the week. Mr. Mike does not publicly acknowledge knowing anyone named Bobby, nor wishes to either confirm or deny collecting die cast cars, or acknowledge that he even knows what a die cast car is, and in fact had nothing to do with anything that is even remotely associated with the word "die".

*Grabs Missouri Mike by the arm and leads him out of the press conference*
If Mike has a future roll, I'll be sure to ask him if he contacted you Mr. Farnsworth. But you know how the fuzz likes to finagle all they can before an attorney is mentioned. We read 'em their rights then throw the miranda out the window. Unless someone asks about a lawyer, we don't exactly push them into it...hehe!

Actually, Joe Friday would probably say, "Mr MissouriMike volunteered to help the police and was treated fairly. If only more people would help their local police, it would make our jobs, and their streets, a lot easier to wake up to. So when I see the day when little children can play in their own neighborhoods without fear of molestation, I'll be glad to use less abrasive tactics to haul in the scum, the fellons, the reefer addicts...who lead society down a primrose path to destruction."

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Press Release from the office of Phineas T. Farnsworth III, Esq.

Having had the opportunity to fully interview Mr. Missouri Mike relative to the defense of any possible future criminal charges, we have come to the conclusion that we want nothing to do with this matter, and disengage from any representation of said client, immediately, henceforth, and herewith .... there-in.

draw your own conclusions. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where is Mike anyway...I'm thinking Farnsworth really did move him out of town in a hurry. I wish I had his number. I'd fire my lawyer and hire him.

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
Swifty did it in the Dining room with a candlestick (Thinking it was Carnut!)
It wasn't? Dagnabbit! In that case no one's seen me, and uh.... Miss Kelly has been at her college in Vermont this whole time. Right everyone? Right?

*Runs*

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
MissouriMike said:
I am obviously innocent. If I were really guilty, would I hire Farnsworth?
Well, considering his last innocent client went to the electric chair... I'd say, guilty or innocent, you'd be insane to hire him!

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Swifty said:
Well, considering his last innocent client went to the electric chair... I'd say, guilty or innocent, you'd be insane to hire him!
How quickly we forget that it was Farnsworth who anchored OJ's "Dream Team"........ and that electric chair incident, well,..... well....

I got nothin'.

It's true. :drunk:

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
I was thinking that Farsworth worked on the Scopes trial...Or was it Brown Vs Bord of Education Topeka KS? Wait a minute it was Hulkster Vs Andre the Giant!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dragnet_Supporter said:
"he sits down at the table across from me makin’ small talk about looking forward to the new JL’s."
Given the current state of affairs I declare it a suicide! :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts