Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been around this hobby for a long time now and i have seen a trend
i have heard of some hobby shops calling up people to get door prizes when they dont sell the products they are asking for nor do they want to stock anything from the companies they are asking to get door prizes from

what are your thoughts???

·
Premium Member
8,569 Posts
Raffles

I will go you one better, they sell raffle tickets to the racers so the track gets more profit even though the stuff was free to the track. I never have agreed with that.
Alan Behler said:
i have heard of some hobby shops calling up people to get door prizes when they dont sell the products they are asking for nor do they want to stock anything from the companies they are asking to get door prizes from

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
This is why companies dont offer as many prizes as they use to.. i remeber going to races and them having one front line sponsor like AE.. they would give away car kits, radios ect.. The pot has been dipped into to many times, now and there is only little items now.. I guess when you have 50 places a mionth calling asking for stuff, it gets a bit old..

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
burbs said:
This is why companies dont offer as many prizes as they use to.. i remeber going to races and them having one front line sponsor like AE.. they would give away car kits, radios ect.. The pot has been dipped into to many times, now and there is only little items now.. I guess when you have 50 places a mionth calling asking for stuff, it gets a bit old..
This is true, There is a "big race" every week from when Indoor starts intill it ends, I actually checked this and after about 20 weeks I quit, Every week had atleats 1 "big race" with some weeks having as many as 6.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Alan Behler said:

I get at least 10 request a month for sponsoring a race or door prizes. If its somewhere that carrys my products I will send them stuff. If not I do not send anything and let them know why....simple as that. I have pricing setup through distributors or direct if they do not deal with my distributors that will allow them to make more on my products than I do and still be able to sell them less than I sell them on my website. Not much more you can do than that.

EA

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If i remember,i received over $7000 worth of door prizes for last yrs Scott Ricker race.I know this is a bit different situation,but r/c'ers will come thru when needed.I only had 6 co.s not send after requests [a couple i would really like to name but won't],and 1 of these was nice enough to reply why he couldn't.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
i know i have helped promote races at Classic Hobbies. Many times I wanted to promote the product I ran for (not necessarily sold at the track) so I would ask my sponsors to help out. I figured if somebody won something and liked it, they may ask the shop owner to stock it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i agree with ea, if the track carrys the product that they are tryin to get a donation from then chances are they will donate! if i was in the rc business and was asked to donate product i would do so,,,,,, in with there next order. i will say the best prizes i have gotten came from thunder road in gordonsville va !!!!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
...I'll approach this from a different angle.

As a travelling series promoter, my biggest "FOE" is funds. I pay for all the expenses to put on this deal out of my pocket...

Over the years I have tried to find sponsors to help with these expenses in a very modest way, and have received some awesome help. This has allowed me to keep providing a awesome series for the oval racers who like to travel and still keep the entry fees reasonable and cover my expenses and usually have a little towards a point fund and season start up expenses for the following year.

With the companies who wish to instead of sponsoring the series financially, but with product, I accept these only under the guidelines that I am free to do with the product as I see fit, because it's the COLD HARD CASH that is needed to keep the series working, not giving away somebodys STUFF.

Sometimes I give it away, sometimes I use it myself, sometimes I sell it...depending on how the series is doing on attendance and paying for itself.

It generally cost me in the range of $400.00 - $700.00 per race day depending on location, and we do 10 - 12 events a year. A SWTour sponsorship is generally $300.00 a year if in $$$ or at least double that amount at retail price if in product.

We advertise our sponsors on our web site, announce them at our events, and plug them as much as we can everywhere we can. In looking for sponsors, I usually look for the ones who are NOT already saturated in our area...in hopes to bring new and exciting products to this market. Most have been happy with our efforts and have supported us for many of the 7 years we've be doing our deal.

Speaking of Sponsors:

Thanks to ALL the current and previous sponsors of the South-West Tour R/C Oval Series

Team Associated - McAllister Racing - Jake's Performance Hobbies - Maverick Oval Chassis - Stick E.T. Tire Sauces - Finishline R/C Products - Kimbrough Products - KMR Batteries - Kisbey Modifieds - Beefy Products - Fastlap Hobbies

I hope I didn't forget anyone - It's YOU guys who have helped keep OVAL RACING alive in Southern California. THANK YOU

·
Registered
124 Posts
I organize and promote a offroad series in the summer and am always trying to get prizes from whomever, whether my store carries the product or not. Its not that I feel entitled or anything, and I don't mean to offend a company that my store doesn't carry, I just feel its worth a shot.

I'm trying to get as much cool stuff for my racers as I can.

My store can only carry so many brands of the same IP cell, but that doesn't mean somebody who wins a door prize won't go online and buy from whomever they won that product from later on.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Alan Behler said:

As a racer, and not a promotor or parts company,
or a sponsored driver by any means,
I really don't care what my track owner does to help him survive.
Why should I care, if one of my friends gets a prize at a race (or me)?
If track x calls company z, and ask for some prizes, company z has two options.
He can say yes, I'd be happy to, or no, I can't at this time,
and you don't carry my products anyways...
Pretty simple.

A couple of weeks ago I went to race on a Tuesday night,
and only one guy showed up besides me.
The owner let us stay as long as we wanted, to practice... for nothing.
It was about 10 degrees outside, he has a BIG shop/track,
that he was heating, and it has tons of lights...
for two guys... that he didn't charge.
He sold us no parts that night.
So.... I'd say he has to do something extra, to make up for that night
that was certainly a red ink night... Or the Sunday mornings where for
some reason 7 guys show up.

I'm lucky.
I live close to a great track, run by a guy that busts his nuts for the racers.
(You've been there)
And I don't believe he's getting rich off us... by any stretch.

If someone sends him a kit, for sponsorship,
and he raffles it off at a buck a pop, and makes 50 bucks,
and some guy walks out with a new car for a dollar,
then I think the company that gave the item away,
did a LOT for the "sport"....
And that is the important thing.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Redneck RC has gotten a bunch of door prizes on several occasions for "big" races, such as the WDRA series races, their annual "Duel in the Dungeon" race and the Empire State Dirt Oval Championships, so many that in some instances that each driver received a prize for each of their entries! I think that shows 2 things: The generosity of the sponsors and the effort that the shop put forth to bring in something extra for the racers, because in reality, thats something they do not need to do.

Also, regarding the door prizes, I know that everytime I look to a smaller MFG (the privately owned companies like Putnam, Whiplash, etc), I try to get in some of their product at the same time, regardless if the shop really needs it or not. In many instances, when someone receives a prize, they look to the shop about getting more, or other items from the same MFG, so my theory is...gotta have it to sell it.

Regarding doing a 50/50 raffle, or raffling off a car kit or something....so what? I see no harm in this, someones gonna win half the money (or the kit or whatever is being raffled, especially if its something that the shop has already paid for). As Dan posted above, some shops need to do some of these things to help survive, after all, how many of them do as many sales as Stormer Hobbies or similar shops??

As for shops not carrying company x's product, well, thats a double edge'd sword. Some shops are small and just dont have the capability of being able to carry the same product from several different MFG's (for example; Motors, batteries, etc), even though they would like to. I know for a fact that my shop is setup with a couple of smaller companies that I have yet to order from, but that is only because we have a million and 1 projects going on at once.

Just my opinions.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I just don't like the fact a shop or promoter gets a free product then turns around and sells it. The sponsor gave it in good faith that it was going to be used as a door prize, not sold to make a profit. There are cases were the product is bought and then raffled off, that’s fine. But when it was obtained for free it should be given away for free. If you choose to run a series, you need to find a way to support it without stealing from the sponsors. If you are telling them up front what you are doing then I don't see anything wrong with it, but if you are asking them for door prizes then selling them it's wrong. We have a local series just starting up around me (second year) there was some growing pains last year, that should be worked out. But never would the promoter collect free items then tune around and sell them!

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Mike V. said

The sponsor gave it in good faith that it was going to be used as a door prize, not sold to make a profit.
Mike,

What is a SPONSOR? To me a sponsor is someone supporting either a team, a event, etc.

A company sending product to GIVE AWAY I don't consider a 'SPONSOR' and because of that...I NEVER seek companies to donate "door prizes" DOOR PRIZES don't pay the bills... As a matter of FACT, I prohibit this at most of my events, unless the company comes on board as a ACTUAL sponsor.

Hyperdrive, Custom Workds, KSG, Associated are BRANDS, in my case...MY Series is a BRAND, if a company wants HIS product recognized by the series and/or by advertising it on our site or board, they need to be SPONSORS. That protects the interest of those companies who DO PAY to become sponsors.

What YOU would call a FREE Product, I consider PAYMENT for Sponsorship Services...just as CASH... So instead of me cashing a company check to use for expenses...I reach into MY pocket and use MY money...but give that Company the credit for sponsorship. At that point the product is MINE, because essentially...I PAID for it...in trade for a preset price.

That all being said, if after our sponsorship agreement is reached...one of our sponsors sends additional product to be given away...THOSE products ARE then given as door prizes...but ONLY those products from actual SERIES SPONSORS.

We are a very small series, we don't draw National Attention like a SNOWBIRDS, but we do try to keep OVAL RACING alive

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
swtour said:
Mike V. said

Mike,

What is a SPONSOR? To me a sponsor is someone supporting either a team, a event, etc.

A company sending product to GIVE AWAY I don't consider a 'SPONSOR' and because of that...I NEVER seek companies to donate "door prizes" DOOR PRIZES don't pay the bills... As a matter of FACT, I prohibit this at most of my events, unless the company comes on board as a ACTUAL sponsor.

Hyperdrive, Custom Workds, KSG, Associated are BRANDS, in my case...MY Series is a BRAND, if a company wants HIS product recognized by the series and/or by advertising it on our site or board, they need to be SPONSORS. That protects the interest of those companies who DO PAY to become sponsors.

What YOU would call a FREE Product, I consider PAYMENT for Sponsorship Services...just as CASH... So instead of me cashing a company check to use for expenses...I reach into MY pocket and use MY money...but give that Company the credit for sponsorship. At that point the product is MINE, because essentially...I PAID for it...in trade for a preset price.

That all being said, if after our sponsorship agreement is reached...one of our sponsors sends additional product to be given away...THOSE products ARE then given as door prizes...but ONLY those products from actual SERIES SPONSORS.

We are a very small series, we don't draw National Attention like a SNOWBIRDS, but we do try to keep OVAL RACING alive
Since you directed your post at me, why not quote the entire post not just a portion of it. Reread my post and hopefully you can understand my post. If not your more them welcome to call me in person. PM me if you wish to and if you don't please keep your posts generic and not directed at me. I haven't posted anything directed at you just a opion I have about track owners/promotors selling free products.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I've re-read some of the recent posts. While the original intent of the thread was door prizes, it has turned into sponsorship and giveaways. Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

The term sponsorship is being thrown around. A foreign student can come to this country and a family sponsors them. Many non-professional olympic athletes are sponsored by companies or even individuals. I interpret sponsorship as 1 individual or entity giving (donating) goods or services to another individual or entity. I am sponsoring my neice's trip to Europe this summer with a financial contribution. Sponsorship doesn't necessarily imply that the sponsor requires anything back in return. We are too used to the term sponsorship in relation to professional athletes or race teams.

If a promoter/race director is being clear to his "sponsors" that the freebie it is now the property of the promoter/race director then so be it. Like it or not if that "free" product ends up being sold it IS supporting or sponsoring the promoter/race director and his series. Even if the profit goes into their pocket it is allowing them extra money to support THEIR series.

If a promoter/race director was asking a company for door prizes and it was implied or stated that they would be given away for free and then they were sold for a profit, then I would think that this was dishonest. I'm sure there have been cases where this has occured. However if someone is asking me for a no strings attached donation, then I cannot become upset with whatever they choose to do with it.

And for the record, I do not promote or run my own series or track. I do not know how much hard work or money is involved with doing this. I'm just grateful there are places to race and people willing to run them. If there is a raffle or giveaway then it is just a bonus to me.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I have read these comments and have looked at it both ways from the racer and as a track owner or series director. In my eyes if a company was to give products to a track or or whatever for the sole purpose of giving it away then it SHOULD be given away free, not as a raffle or sell it in the hobbyshop or worse used as a personal item UNLESS otherwise specified. Too bad that this stuff actualy happens.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
MIKE VALENTINE said:
I just don't like the fact a shop or promoter gets a free product then turns around and sells it. The sponsor gave it in good faith that it was going to be used as a door prize, not sold to make a profit. There are cases were the product is bought and then raffled off, that’s fine. But when it was obtained for free it should be given away for free. If you choose to run a series, you need to find a way to support it without stealing from the sponsors. If you are telling them up front what you are doing then I don't see anything wrong with it, but if you are asking them for door prizes then selling them it's wrong. We have a local series just starting up around me (second year) there was some growing pains last year, that should be worked out. But never would the promoter collect free items then tune around and sell them!
I agree. If a shop obtains something for free for a specified purpose, in this case, to be randomly given away to a racer (whether a name is randomly drawn for a door prize, or if the winner of a main wins a prize of some sort, rather than a trophy) then it should be given away, not sold.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
MikeV,

No disrespect was intended..and I really didn't intend to single you out...just wanted to make sure you read it. More as addressing you in a conversation.

I didn't know if your comments had come from my post or not, but moreso wanted to cover what and how we do things...and why.

I did read the part where you mentioned "if you tell them..."

I appologize for appearing to single you out in any way.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
the focar series would be dead without sponsors. i respect and love the focar sponsors. i ask every florda oval racer at each event to support those who support us.

and i do not know of anyone selling or giving away stuff donated to the focar series or any other race in florida.it is ashame to read about this happening though.

william sell
www.focars.net

1 - 20 of 21 Posts