Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
A great casting - i can still remember buying my childhood blue rw example and destroying it at school.I can also remember the gold opening doors variation in the stores but I havent seen one in the metal since the 1970s. I have one c9-9.5 example in green,blue and gold today ,but no boxes. The final HTF twinpack issue was silver with sealed doors and trunk,issue after the army cars -seen a few but expensive.........
Either the E box comes with a blue car or the F box comes with a green car, I cannot remember which but this VHTF box variation popped up on that other forum last year.

·
Registered
517 Posts
that silver one is a tough one, do you know the year it was released :)
no to sure about the box variation. boxes did seemed to come into there own as a collectable. i think even a lot of the collectors years ago weren't concerned with the boxes ?

i tried to keep all of the boxes with the models and did keep some in blister packs. the blister pack helps add a little bit of authenticity to the model, especially with models that have decals or stickers :)
i kept these road dragsters with scorpion stickers in the blister pack along with the wynns models i show a little while ago. the metallic red car has eight labels but the color is rare :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Something like this???

SMS88 said:
A great casting - i can still remember buying my childhood blue rw example and destroying it at school.I can also remember the gold opening doors variation in the stores but I havent seen one in the metal since the 1970s. I have one c9-9.5 example in green,blue and gold today ,but no boxes. The final HTF twinpack issue was silver with sealed doors and trunk,issue after the army cars -seen a few but expensive.........
Either the E box comes with a blue car or the F box comes with a green car, I cannot remember which but this VHTF box variation popped up on that other forum last year.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
E box with a blue car :thumbsup: ,thankyou for sharing ausbecket! The silver Mercedes is from the last Lesney twinpacks which would be early 1980s -I have only seen a couple of beaters at toyfairs but I know a guy who is trying to sell me a mint sealed twinpack with the army Merc for $20 - I´m not that interested with so much else to buy.....
I only have scorpion labels on my pair of scorpions :dude:
With all those genuine unused lesney labels sold off when Hackney closed , a sealed blister is the best way to prove an item is not faked to earn $$$$. I guess new millenium collectors want packaging because they remember the packaging from their childhood and modern trend it to display toys in ways that recall old time toy stores.Also many have all the models so the next level is to get the packaging.I still need 10 models in each year to complete the 1-75 catalogs for 1968,69,70,71,72 which is the focus of my Lesney collection
I have never seen a metallic red no19 but I seem to remember them in metallic dark pink from my childhood.I have a regular red example sealed in a lesney plastic bag in my 1971 Canadian made Superfast track which came from e Bay a few years back

·
Registered
517 Posts
ausbeckett, thanks for the box picture. always a treat :thumbsup:
SMS88, thanks for the mercedes info :)
i recall hearing the mid to late sixties models had a production run of 15 million. if that's true, i wonder how many of each style boxes were produced for the model? i would imaging that the superfast boxes were in less numbers because of models being released in gifts sets, garages, etc. a great deal were released in model only blister packs, so that must cut down on the box model ratio.

i never kept them in the blister packs with the intent of making extra money.
it is a way of proving it is not faked which should not have to be done in the first place, but where there is money to be made it will happen :(

the switching of labels was probably around as soon as the first labels were produced. the baron of beef label is a prime example. in 73 they started to appear in quantity and in 86 they appeared once again. some well known collectors were aware of this and turned a blind eye to it, i wonder why?

just my opinion :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
WHY? The demon greenback ;)
I have never paid extra for any Matchbox label variations, and never would because they can be so easily faked.I have a c9.5 Baron of Beef no 73 which purchased 2 or 3 summers ago from a child at a street market for almost $2! Otherwise I dont have any HTF Lesney label variations.I do collect color variations and casting variations on castings that I like - which are almost exclusively 1968 -71 transitionals - with or without tow slots ,hollow or solid SF tyres, Baseplate variations (no 3 Binz ambulance text handed variation) stuff like that......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts