Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
a wise modeller once told me , " spend as much as you can on your brushes , you'll be glad ya did ". and i did . later i did buy some cheapies and really learned a lesson .
i will buy mid range brushes to dry brush with . but the dirt cheap ones are ...well ... dirt . not worth the trouble they give ya .
hb

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Because I do a lot of very small detail painting (like eyes on a 1/72 figure for example), back in 1990 I spent $24.00 on one brush (don't even know the gauge anymore because the marking rubbed off years ago), but it's got maybe 6 bristles in it (yes, that's the way it's supposed to be).

I still have it and still use it frequently. I probably spent around $300 total for the brushes I bought then and they're all in good shape almost 15 years later.

One trick I learned is after I'm done painting and the brushes are thoroughly cleaned, take a drop of liquid dish detergent between your thumb & forefinger and lightly twist the bristles to a point and store them bristles up. The detergent keeps the point on your brushes as it dries.

Yep, the wife was pissed when I bought 'em but they outlasted her! :lol:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Well Mr Frets, I don't know much about brushes but my ex was after me to reduce the size of my model collection. However it outlasted her too!!!

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Cajjunwolfman said:
Well Mr Frets, I don't know much about brushes but my ex was after me to reduce the size of my model collection. However it outlasted her too!!!
:lol: :lol: Sounded like my first wife. :thumbsup: rr

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
well y'gets whatcha pays fer, ebay or otherwise. there are good cheap brushes out there (dickblick.com has their oown economy brand thats quite good) and sometimes you need a cheap brush because youre going to destroy it in the process.

a patternmakers trick for keeping the bristles of the cheap chip brushes they use from coming off and getting imbedded in their plaster: hold the brush tilted with the bristles up and apply some ca glue to the bristles where they meet the metal shank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
well y'gets whatcha pays fer, ebay or otherwise. there are good cheap brushes out there (dickblick.com has their oown economy brand thats quite good) and sometimes you need a cheap brush because youre going to destroy it in the process.

a patternmakers trick for keeping the bristles of the cheap chip brushes they use from coming off and getting imbedded in their plaster: hold the brush tilted with the bristles up and apply some ca glue to the bristles where they meet the metal shank.
what is ca glue?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts