Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to get a feel on how people feel about getting beat on race-day? Does it motivate you to work on your stuff, or does it discourage you?

Here is the background.
About a year and a half ago we started an oval pancar club to gain some unity with the pancar racers in Arizona. We have 6 great places to race oval here and the turn-outs were fragmented. It took off pretty well.

A-lot of us were making the A mains or at least in the top 3 or 4 and the wins seemed to rotate among the membership pretty regularly.

About 6-9 months ago a Pro-Level driver from back east transferred to our desert community (I won't mention any names). Needless to say he broke the track record on his first night and handed us a whompin' in excess of 4-5 laps! (it could have been more - I've blocked it out - LOL). His presence drew out another couple pro-level guys who had all but disappeared. Needless to say those of us who thought we knew what was what were left scratching our heads.

For me personally it has motivated the heck out of me and brought me to a whole new level of learning on these cars. At my favorite track I have gained 4 laps on average, 5 on a good night. Most of us have gained and improved. Of course the top 3 guys are gaining and improving also so we are still 1-3 laps behind and there is some level of frustration.

We have also suffered from a decline in regular club attendance on race nights and the fragmenting is starting again.

I would love to hear what the rest of you think & feel.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Scott, this happens at every track I have been to in th elast 20 years. You need to have a way to sepperate the guy who wants to run together with there equals from the Pro-level guys. BTW it has always motivated my to work harder when I get beat.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Motivation

Scott,
Having started racing about 10 years ago,but not new to R.C., I can share in some of your frustrations.For years I spent long hours trying to figure out what was missing in me or my equipment that prevented me from the "winners"circle. Each class I ran was a stepping stone to were I am now (not sure where that is) But still enjoy the sport very much.
I guess the one thing to remember is that no matter how good you think you are, there is always someone out there that can smoke your a$$!
I think the best thing to do is learn from these individuals and improve your game in the process. Most of us do this for fun (club level) and my goal is about the fun while also trying to improve as a driver.
As far as attendence that is something most clubs have struggled with for years. Racers just "burn out" and decide to do other things.Nothing you can do about it! I guess the key is to work with younger racers and keep new blood coming into the sport.
Dan

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
im thinking in these cases you could start a break out class. that probly would keep the guys happy that dont like to be beat. i use to be one of those guys. to me i race RC cars for fun. but to me doin well and being competative is what is fun along with hangin out with friends. so it is frustrating to always be being beat. thats just how it is to be honest. who wants to spend so much money and still not be in the top 3. i just think a break out class would be good. have 1 pan car class and 1 break out class. might work

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too am in it for the fun Porksalot. On top of what you listed as fun for you...the challenge to get better is fun for me as well.

I am just concerned that somehow our attendance drop is related to people getting frustrated.

jmcdo - Did I mention the PRO? There has been quite a few HD cars sent to AZ recently - LOL

Great input guys - as I expected. Keep em coming.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
When we get beat by someone better than us I try to figure out why and where he was beating us. Was it in the corners, straights or could he just out drive us. I would say that I work harder on the car to keep up with the Jones.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
it is part of the attendence drop. i have very close friends that either race or dont race depending on how well they did the week b4. when they do well they are pumped to come back. they work on there stuff all week. they work on motors. they try to get to the track early for practice. then this week after all that they just dont have the same yank they did the week b4. and instead of bein top 3 they are top 10. and all a sudden they dont come back for a few weeks till i talk them back into it. its just part of racing i guess. i use to be like that. like said who wants to be beat so badly after racing for this long. now adays though im more in this just for fun. as a past time. i never go to the track anymore thinking i should be the fast guy or even one of them. i go there to have fun and hang out and however i do thats fine with me. hopefully i do well ofcourse. i will admit though that doin better and better every week is very motivating. thats why i like to help out the local racers at my track. cause they are so new that every week they make huge gains. its actually more fun to watch someone else do well now for me that i helped then it is for me to race. i just race cause i like how easy the 4300 is to maintain :) if i had to work on motors all day id probly just watch lol. ok guys a little off subject! sorry :)

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
You have to get beat to go faster. But with that said. Dont try to run modified if your set up/driving skills are stock level. That is the thing I see most often times. Everyone wants to go fast and win but you have to do it within your ability level as well. If your skill isnt there and someone with the skills is spanking you :) then swallow the pride, drop back and develop your skills on driving and set up. You will learn faster and have a lot more fun.

When your ready in those areas then move up to the faster classes where you have control of your car so that you can move over and then learn how to go faster.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just remember that no matter how fast someone is there is always someone out there who is faster.

Making up those first couple laps usually isn't that steep of a learning curve, it's is the last 1 or so that is the most difficult and can take years to achieve, maybe even longer to achieve consistently to.

Take notes on everything. When speeds fall off you have some place to go back to. And probably more importantly take notes on your bad days. Then you can see what doesn't work...

·
Registered
691 Posts
I would like to think that I get motivated when I get a whipping. I usually do ok and have a shot at winning some of the time. But we do have our Pro guys, and when they come out, we are all fighting for 3rd, 4th or 5th; 1,2,3 or 4 laps down.

I asked one of the Pro guys to look at my car. Where was I off? I learned a ton. Now my car is much better. Most important was to just make small changes. I was going out every qualifier with basically a new car because I would change so much. I am now getting better race after race and look forward to racing more now than I ever did. But I try not to let it stop with me and pay it forward. I don't keep secrets and pass out tire and gear info to whoever asks. Who knows, we just might have a surprise in store for those pro guys one day! Well not really, but we are all having a lot of fun!

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
larcguy you make good points cuase you never know who the next pro at the track will be! might be you. might be the kid that just started. i doubt any pro started and was good right away :)

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I think if getting beat discourages you that you are not a true racer. Racing is a competitive Sport / Hobby. I race 1/10 scale, 1/4 scale, and real Late Models and feel I am of just as motivated at all forms of racing to do better when we are having a bad day at the track. Don't ever let a bad day discourage you from trying harder, ask questions from the people you feel will give you good honest answers.

Dave D

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Winning isn't as fun unless it is earned. If I get beat and then get better and win it is much more rewarding. When I'm getting beat by the big dogs I realize that they are on a different level and I am resolved to competing against myself. Was I faster than last week or last month? If so, then it is a small victory. If you can approach racing as a self-competition then it can be more rewarding. I don't have to place #1 to at least have my own personal victories.

Big dog racers can always be a problem at a small club if they aren't doing anything to promote that facility or improve the racing. Try to get those racers invested in your track so that the other racers are also having fun. I'm sure it isn't very rewarding for the fast guy to be winning by multiple laps either. Challenge the fast guy to swap motors or cars and see if he can beat you with your own equipment. A lot of good racers are willing to prove that it is chassis setup that is making them go fast.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IndyRC_Racer said:
Big dog racers can always be a problem at a small club if they aren't doing anything to promote that facility or improve the racing. Try to get those racers invested in your track so that the other racers are also having fun. I'm sure it isn't very rewarding for the fast guy to be winning by multiple laps either. Challenge the fast guy to swap motors or cars and see if he can beat you with your own equipment. A lot of good racers are willing to prove that it is chassis setup that is making them go fast.
IndyRC - great points on the self competition and min-victories. These are what I shoot for. I have two years experience, these guys have 15-18.

Our Pro Level racers are not a problem at all. We are lucky that the top level racers in our club are all the "shirt off of their back" type. One of them has assumed co-responsibility for running our club. Another will rebuild your car for you between heats if you ask him, or give or lend you any part. They all go out of their way to help us average Joe's.

I am really appreciating everyone's comments

·
HobbyTalk Pro
2,787 Posts
...The true character of a champion isn't judged when they are standing tall, but how quick they get up and recover after being knocked down.

True racers roll up their sleeves, put their heads down and get after it when they get beat...:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
When I get beat I go to the experts and ask question, get help with setup and try to learn my mistakes. For example I was at a track a couple weeks ago and I took my car up there setup the way I thought would be good, and my car was so fast but I was loosing it in the corners. I tried different things and it didnt work so I went to the experts and asked and they said I need to go to a long wheel base and fix a couple other things and I did as they said and Went out in the main and gained 3 laps just by listening to them. So dont be afraid to ask the fast guys it may be the best thing for you to do.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Todd Putnam said:
...The true character of a champion isn't judged when they are standing tall, but how quick they get up and recover after being knocked down.

True racers roll up their sleeves, put their heads down and get after it when they get beat...:cool:
I agree..

Makes me try and work harder. I find the competition fun.

Most of the Nextel guys loose more races then they win in there racing
career.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Y'all just need to cut ol Humpty's b.. and stick his leg thru it,lol!!!! It's a motivation,and also a money spender.A wise r/c man once told me that a tenth costs $100.00!!!!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts