Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I built and detailed my polar lights jupiter 2 almost 2 years ago and i used future on the viewport plastic window to make it as crystal clear as possible. I want to light the interior so all of the detailing inside will be visible from the outside through the crystal clear viewport however, when i look through it to the inside, everything inside looks distorded almost like a funhouse mirror. IS this the future causing this or, is it the plastic part it self ? Was there any distortion like this to builders who did NOT future their viewport windows ? It seems to affect mostly the details that are off to the sides.
THANKS !

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
I'd be careful using Future. It ws all the rage in the 1990's as it was a very good acrylic clear coat finish. However, now that it is 2007, all the model car decals I covered with future have turned yellow.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Does Future cause visable panty lines?

:tongue:

I knew a Model Master who only used Future to repair
the windshield of an airplane.

It had frosted when he sprayed flat lacquer onto the whole,
completed model.

He then sanded the canopy for days, and applied Future to
make it transparent again.

It did seem to distort just a little.

Maybe very thin coats will work.

Why not try a water-based clear coating, or polyurethane?

Testor's Model Master line has some.
Has anyone used it? Does it yellow?

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I replaced the windows on my J2 with clear styrene sheet. Works well since both windows, upper and lower, are basically flat. Be careful since the clear styrene sheet scratches easily.

You will need to recreate the frame pieces with strip of sheet styrene. Again, not a big problem.

On your question of imperfections, I'd put money on the imperfections being in the original kit part and would have no problem coating the new clear styrene parts with Future to protect them.

And if that doesn't work, you can always cut a new set of windows (make and save window templates).

Jim

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking it may be the clear part itself, I cut some clear sheet styrene and made the lower viewport window and it doesn't really look as distorted. I used future on it as well. I am looking at the top window and it has a slight curve to it and it may be the part itself. thanks for all the input guys.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,281 Posts
I've only ever used Future on bubble canopies and the like. I don't know what it does on large flat surfaces (except, of course, our kitchen floor).

·
Registered
404 Posts
John P said:
I've only ever used Future on bubble canopies and the like. I don't know what it does on large flat surfaces (except, of course, our kitchen floor).
On the floor?! You use Future on the floor; are you insane?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts