Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I recall in Australia in 1970 the F/L Creature at our local chemists was $3.30.
In 1973 the square box Forgotten Prisoner was $4.25.

Chris.:)

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
I'm not gonna swear to it, but I think I paid something like $1.98 for my F/L Forgotten Prisoner kit in 1969. I do remember seeing the Aurora Batman kit for 99¢, but I couldn't tell you what year that was. :dude:

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Here's an official Aurora ad from '69. They're going for $1.50 each.

My best guess is that this FMOFL ad is from around 1974(?). The Captain Company was charging $3.00 - $3.50 at that point.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
$1.50 sounds about right for the price I paid for the last round of them I bought back in the early '70s. The more elaborate kits like King Kong and The Witch I think were more around the $3 mark.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
I recall paying around $1.59 for the smaller kits and IIRC $2.79 for the bigger ones.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
the toys r us price is burned into my brain cause it was 12 cents higher than my allowance (actually 16 cents, including sales tax): $1.12 (i eventually got a raise just because of that. i guess my parents figured the lesson of "so near and yet so far" was not worth the frustration of me continually checking all the sofa cushions and car seats for the difference.)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
My dad has told me that a local drug store would have a full skid of the squarebox glow kits on the floor, trying to move them at 99 cents each. Doubt that was actual retail, though - maybe they were trying to undercut K-Mart.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Price around 1971 in the United States for Aurora Glow Monster

Which model in paticular?

Hmmm... did not think of that. I presumed that all 12 Aurora Glow-in-the-Dark kits would have been the same price back around 1971 in the United States

I just recalled my dad walking me down to the hobby shop every Sunday and allowing me to pick out one of these models till I built all 12. They included the Witch, Forgotten Prisoner, Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Creature from Black Lagoon, Hunchback, Wolfman, Phantom of the Opera, Godzilla, King Kong and Dr. Jekell.

I am talking specifically about these modelshttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2136/2415011977_48ce501198.jpg

Just curious of the price back in the very early 70's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's an official Aurora ad from '69. They're going for $1.50 each.

My best guess is that this FMOFL ad is from around 1974(?). The Captain Company was charging $3.00 - $3.50 at that point.

Wow, the price went up considerably from 69 to 74! When were these kits discontinued?

Is there anyway possible you can post the ad from 1974 just a little bit larger?

·
Curmudgeon
6,614 Posts
I was born in 1961 and I missed most of them on their first run; all the kits I had were the Fright'ning Lightning versions.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Wow, the price went up considerably from 69 to 74! When were these kits discontinued?

Is there anyway possible you can post the ad from 1974 just a little bit larger?
Linked to it from this BLOG (graphics heavy - takes a long time to load).

Further reading indicates the ad is from FMOF #118 which was August of '75.
The Glow Monsters were manufactured from '69 until some time in '75. The Captain Company was a merchandising arm of Warren Publishing. By late '75 they may well have known they were sitting on stock that would never be replenished and which therefore was already somewhat "collectable".

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I was born in 1966 and remember the models throught most of the 70s. I know as late as 1979 they were still widely available. I remember very clearly going to see Disney's
"The Black Hole" which came out in 1979. While we waited to buy tickets, my dad and I went into the Montgomery Ward store next to the theater, and he got me the Glow Phantom kit. Now, TBH came out in 1979... Wilson's Department Store (which later became Service Merchandise) also had the kits in roughly the same time frame. I bought the Glow Creature there along with some of the Prehistoric Scenes. I don't remember the cost back then but they were probably $5 or $6? Remember the 70s was a period with high inflation and price increases.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I have a sealed glow Witch that I bought at Woolworths back in the mid 70's and the price sticker is still on it. I paid $3.29 for mine. I also got all of the glow monsters with the exception of Dr Jekyll at K-mart on a blue light special in the later 70's. There were 2 huge pallets of Aurora kits in the Isle with the blue light on the pole next to it! I was like a kid in a candy store! All of the kits were $.99cents except King Kong and Godzilla. They were $1.59. Even though the Witch was in the bigger box she was only $.99cents! I guess she was not that popular! Hope that helps! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts