Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, I usually post on the Modeling forum, so forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. I was told by another forum, that this would be the best place to post, as the kit is in 1/43 scale.

I am trying to find out any info on a Diecast model kit car that someone has just given me. I have all the details of The Make on the box, but wanted to know more about the maker and the age, value etc... of the car.

Western Models
WMS 18
1951 Morgan Plus 4
1/43 rd Scale
Silver cast metal (someone told me that they are usually white metal or Resin)

It is boxed with all the original parts and instructions intact.

Any info would be gratefully appreciated.

Simon :)

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Simon-

Google the Manufacturer and model info and you'll come up with several auction houses that post the car as well as eBay listings. I saw prices between $30.00 USD and €219.00. I believe that Western Models is out of business. They were known for producing white metal models. I don't know when the Plus 4 was manufactured.

Good luck-
John

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi John,

Thank you for the info. I didn't realise that they would fetch that sort of money as the car seems so small to me, I'm used to working in 1/8 scale :)

Many thanks
Simon

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Simon,

The term "white metal" does not mean that the metal is actually white in color. It is simply an industry term for the light (silver) colored soft metal that is used for casting these types of models. Your model is made from "white metal."

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi PWSchuh,

Thank you for correcting my mistake :) I am new to car kits and don't know any of the terms that are used, my apologise.

Many thanks
Simon

·
Registered
920 Posts
Western Models was one of three well-known British 1/43 white-metal handbuilt manufacturers. They started up in the 1970s and went out of business in 2007,when the owners retired. Now only Brooklin is left... :(

They made both kits and pro-built models.

Ref: http://www.zeteo.com/mar/news-aug07.ihtml
I assume the other you were thinking of was Somerville (or possibley Pathfinder?), however, there are a few more survivors Karl - Crossway, J & M, Marsh Models & Spa Croft (at least) are still going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts